OTP Sales and portion of purchase price allocated

Hi All,

I currently have a 4 unit development site for which I have approval and have just put on the market as OTP Sales.
A potential buyer asked the agent if they knew "what portion of the overall purchase price to allocate to unit 4's land value?”

My initial assumption was that if I divided the price that I paid for the property by the number of units, then that should give me a close estimate, assuming of course that the land sizes of all the units are similar.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
John

Jcm

Welcome to the world of accounting cost apportionment. A special world where no two opinions will be identical !

The issue...
You have an asset which will be apportioned so that each unit shares a proportion of the land. It must be apportioned for a number of purposes:
* For determining profit on each unit its total costs must be determined. Costs will include share of land, direct construction costs and also apportioned construction costs (ie common areas or shared costs such as sewer connection etc) The ATO expects a reasonable allocation - I would consider land may be affected by a variety of factors such as area but there could be factors which further affect values such as a easement affecting two of the lots.
* GST perhaps...Some GST may be claimed if a unit is not sold but tenanted or "kept" you cant.
* For land titles purposes (ie rates, land tax etc)
* Buyers will want to know m2 area for valuation purposes especially if its OTP. A concept is not sufficient.
* You may have other motivators for altering the apportionment. For example the more costs you allocate to units being sold the lower their profit. If you keep one and it wont be sold perhaps this could alter your allocations BUT you cant just do it in a blatant manner or in an audit you could be subject to allegations of a scheme and penalties.

Dividing by 4 wont cut it. Way too inaccurate and send wrong msg to buyers. Imagine their position if they later learn their lot is 21% not 25% ? You could end up with a nasty legal stoush.

A surveyor has / should be involved in the new titles and will be able to accurately apportion the land area. Surveyor / valuer should be able to address this issue and ensure buyers and sellers are all happy. Typically in my experience they will assist and co-ordinate the subdivision of titles.

I came across this issue several times with clients. One I recall had an old large factory. Demolished half, rebuilt it with major extension. Subdivided all of it and kept one portion for own business, sold some & tenated some. Construction apportionment and land apportionment and GST apportionment, valuation apportionment etc was a nightmare. He had to keep ATO, OSR, Bank, Buyers and his own wallet happy. Message ?? Get some reliable providers who are experienced in this work activity and they will guide you and problems will be avoided.

Thanks for the Information Provided!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the informative response. I guess I was looking for an easy answer, yet as I suspected it is not as clear cut as just dividing the amount of units by purchase price of site.

I shall follow up on what you have suggested and get the relevant professional parties to pursue it for me.

Much Appreciated
John

Back