Owner builder for PROR extension (up) ???

Hi All,

We are about to start an extension on our PROR, when i say start, i mean get an architect to do some drawings.

My question is, do I do it all myself, as in owner builder, "employ a builder, plumber, sparky and so on

or

Get someone like Extension factory to do the whole lot.

I'm quiet handy, so I would only like it built to lockup stage (i.e to plaster stage) and i will do the rest as in skirting boards, doors, sinks, showers, toilets......

Owner builder would be cheaper because i have contacts in the Timber and Hardware industry and i have a sparky and plumber on my "books"

Did I mention we are extending up???

Any views / opinions / experiences would be great,

GG

How much time do you have during the week to do the work?

Is there a deadline for when this needs to be finished by?

You say you're handy, have you done this sort of work (i.e. a fit out) before at this scale?

Do you have all the necessary tools?

How much time do you have during the week to do the work?

Is there a deadline for when this needs to be finished by?

You say you're handy, have you done this sort of work (i.e. a fit out) before at this scale?

Do you have all the necessary tools?

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Like most things, we make time. I work full time but i would take holidays when needed.

2. No deadline

3. never have done a fitout like this before but there is always a first time :)

4. I have all the toold, drop saws, routers, drills.....etc

GG

Then I'd say your decision should be based on the cost difference and then comparing that cost to the amount of time you will have to put in (and to what standard you believe you can complete the work).

If you're going to save yourself $10k and it's going to require you to take a two week holiday and give it a good punt to get it done... I'd say do it.

Depending on the size of the extension, could take a bit longer than that, depends on your level of skill, confidence, time management, willingness to flog yourself... :p

Then I'd say your decision should be based on the cost difference and then comparing that cost to the amount of time you will have to put in (and to what standard you believe you can complete the work).

If you're going to save yourself $10k and it's going to require you to take a two week holiday and give it a good punt to get it done... I'd say do it.

Depending on the size of the extension, could take a bit longer than that, depends on your level of skill, confidence, time management, willingness to flog yourself... :p

Thanks TV,

Friends of our did a similar extension with one of these extension mobs and it cost them around $175k mark, I know we could do it cheaper with similar results.

GG

Thanks TV,

Friends of our did a similar extension with one of these extension mobs and it cost them around $175k mark, I know we could do it cheaper with similar results.

GG

Well I'd take a look at how much holidays you've got saved up at work... I think trying to do it after work hours would lead to a whole lot of stress and possibly some shoddy workmanship due to stress / time factors. (When are you going to care more about the finish, at 8am after a good 8 hrs sleep or 11pm on your 3rd night running with 5 hours sleep?)

But maybe that's just me.

TV,

Forgot to ask you, sounds like you know what you are on about, are you in the building industry or you have done the home builder thing?

GG

Did the blue collar construction thing for 2 years (labouring etc) and commencing my 3rd year of Construction management degree as of Feb 2011.

I'm by no means experienced however and I wouldn't take my advice as gospel... just all factors I thought should be taken in to consideration.

Hi GG,

I think it is a no brainer, you are in the game, talk to a builder you get on well with and he will help if/when you get stuck.

Just make sure you work out exactly what you want before you start and don't make any/many alterations as you proceed and you should nail it IMO

Back