Owner-Builder Vic limitation

Hi guys,

Hope this isn't duplicating any previous posts - couldnt find any on it.

As an owner-builder in Victoria, are there any limitations on how many properties one can build, renovate etc?

I ask this as several people have mentioned there may be a limit of 4 - 5 but can't seem to find anything to confirm this.

Thanks,

The site states;

• Must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $12,000
  • May only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any three-year period
  • Must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the single dwelling.

So if one was wanting to renovate-for-profit and do one or two a year, what would they need to do? (couldnt find anything there on this)

Hooray!

After many phone calls to the Building Commission (Vic) and scratching around their web site, I found the answer hidden deep in their system.

One of the key elements of being an owner builder is you must own and live in the property. Given this is not the case for the scenario I raised there had to be an alternative.

The answer came that we have three options;

1. Become a Register Builder and do it all yourself along with subbies etc. This involves a fairly intensive course and lots of experience. :cool:
  2. Become a Domestic Building Manager (DBM). You manage the project but unlike a builder, you don't do any hands-on type work (off the tools) with a small exception in that you can do some work yourself, such as some painting, landscaping, carpet laying and minor stuff that doesn't require a registered tradie. There is a list of prerequisites in order to qualify and be registered. Possible solution for "control freaks" or those who enjot that type of work. :rolleyes:
    http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/resources/documents/Domestic_BuilderCompetency.pdf
  3. Just hire a builder to implement the project for you - possibly the easiest (and most obvious) solution. :)

If one does any of these, then there appears to be no limit on how many projects one could do... provided they are profitable. :p

Back