paint colours for a true queenslander

i am in the process of renovating an queenslander in ipswich qld ,it was the first home in west ipswich and has been somewhat neglected from lack of finance and enthusiasm from the last owner (who died last monday),but does anyone of you know where i can get a book or know of a site that i can go to to find colour schemes that were used in the 1900 - 1920 federation homes ,i have already done a scraping back to the original paint colour but they are somewhat drab and i dont want to do the house in the same colours again ,i have already read the colour scemes for old houses and that only skimmed over the interior colours of the period homes ,please dont quote the reno bros in replys as i have a dislike for them offering answers when they are not qualified to do so.
kind regards
tom armstrong

are you doing inside or outside? one thing to remember if your painting inside is that the paint colours of 100 years ago (and wallpaper to that matter) were choosen to be seen under gas or candle light, which was very yellow and dull, and the colours don't sit very well on the eyes under modern lighting.

something to think about when trying to return to the authentic ...

lizzie said:
are you doing inside or outside? one thing to remember if your painting inside is that the paint colours of 100 years ago (and wallpaper to that matter) were choosen to be seen under gas or candle light, which was very yellow and dull, and the colours don't sit very well on the eyes under modern lighting.

something to think about when trying to return to the authentic ...

thanks lizzie ,
i am doing inside at the moment ,and i am aware of the lighting problems ,but this house was built in 1908 and connected to the demons flash ,it is a heritage home with lots of history and i am the third owner of this impressive home and want to do the right thing by the stately old girl,the colours ot the scraping look like a babies soiled nappy and i am not overley fussed in replicating them for myself

Back