Paint this kitchen or replace?

I agree with Jacque; it will be a solid investment that will improve both the re-val and future-proof rental return moving forward.

The only suggestion I could make is that even though this kitchen looks very old/tired; you may be able to sell off some of the old pieces for a small amount of revenue; so don't be tempted to take a sledgehammer to the whole thing when taking it out; try to remove it carefully - even if you get a couple of hundred $ for it, it's better than nothing and could also make the scrap/cleanup costs less painful, for its removal.

Hi HG,
This is my favourite topic. !!

I know everyone has talked about their amazing 2k kitchens, but I honestly believe you get what you pay for. If you have a tenant that is a bit heavy handed, it is not going to last you. So if you decide to go new, do it properly. It will look better and last longer!!

As a minimum, yes please paint!!! The result will be great!! Change all your knobs and knockers as well and make sure everything works.:D:)

Hi HG,
This is my favourite topic. !!

I know everyone has talked about their amazing 2k kitchens, but I honestly believe you get what you pay for. If you have a tenant that is a bit heavy handed, it is not going to last you. So if you decide to go new, do it properly. It will look better and last longer!!

Erm no. The Bunnings kitchen units looked and felt stronger then the Ikea ones.

Most of the cost of a "designer" kitchen is the design and profit.

Hi,

Yes everyone has to make some kind of profit, so does bunnings!!!

But I'm sorry I just can't be convinced at that price that quality is not going to be compromised somewhere.!!!!

A simple functional design at a fair price and quality lasting materials can be achieved, I do it all the time.
I think Jacqui's comments were great re this topic.

!!

I'm gravitating back to my cheap *** reno mode and re-considering painting it. Its not buying the kitchen, its getting the trades - plumber, electrician, carpenter to do the change (inexpensively) without active mgt. Ah the pitfalls of buying interstate.

Plus if I changed it, I'd have to reconfigure bc the current layout isn't optimal. Realistically, I'm looking at $2-2.5K I reckon for kitchen cabinets, kickboard, handles, $1500 for appliances (would be cheaper if it was in Syd as I get everything in stainless steel 2nd hand on ebay). 99% of builders aren't gonna go out of their way to source materials, appliances etc cheap via ebay/online. Don't know how Nathan does it but I reckon I'm looking at about $5-6K fully installed. If I painted it, it wouldn't look excellent obviously but we're talking about 10% of the cost and I wouldn't be under pressure to upgrade sinks, appliances bc it would be uniformly crap :)

Don't know, have to mull this over - I settle in a week so have to get my *** into gear..now. As mentioned b4, if it was just to rent out, I'd paint and have done this succesfully to a number of props in Syd. But bc I want to refi and refi quickly, valuer isn't going to reward my 'creativity' unless I go all the way.

Last edited:
I think you could make that look pretty funky actually if there is not too much structural damage. Re the labor, could you put a call out on the forum for a cheap up and comer?

I think you could make that look pretty funky actually if there is not too much structural damage. Re the labor, could you put a call out on the forum for a cheap up and comer?

I'm getting a chippy to do some framing etc so they could install a new kitchen. But what did you mean, it could be funky with a new kitchen.... or with smoke and mirrrors (paint :))?

If you mean painting it, tell me how pleazz.

Back