Palm Trees - Sale/Give Away in Sydney

Hi All,

Would you know anyone whose sold or given away or purchased palm trees?

We have three palm trees in a property of ours that we'd like to see gone without us having to spend too much money.....

Interested to know..Could put on Gum Tree. We have a few months to see these trees go....

Many thanks,
MsAli.

Hehe, I tried the same for some palm trees in Newcastle. Tried on Gum Tree, no takers and eventually paid for them to be removed.

You won't get any money for them. You can try on Gumtree but they are a pain to transport so you may not have any takers. We ended up having them mulched when the tree lopper removed some other trees on our site.

I did have a frangipani tree on a site that I got $500 for on Gumtree.

MXia - what did you pay to have them removed?

I was told by a demolition person that palm trees cannot be mulched..seems incorrect?

Propertunity, thank you for the suggestion re plant recycling companies. Any recommended? I will google them..

Attached is a pic..

Attachments

• palm trees.jpg
    palm trees.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 127
Doesn't look like a Cocos palm. Looks more like an Alexandria or Bangalow palm.

Unlikely to get anyone interested in transplanting except those set up for such large palms. Certainly not a job for a trailer and dad and the boys.

Palms can be mulch but they are stringy. As such they tree fellers don't generally much the truck.

If you had Kentia palms then I would have been interested.

Cheers

4 Palm Trees for $1,000, they were 4-5m from memory. This didn't include grinding the stumps, I just had them cut as low as possible.

4 Palm Trees for $1,000, they were 4-5m from memory. This didn't include grinding the stumps, I just had them cut as low as possible.

Ah ok. we need to let go of the whole thing - given the prospective build...

Mind sending over the details of the business? Or the type of biz it was so I can google?

Many thanks!

Mum and dad had a palm tree in their backyard which is now about 7-8 m high and started to drop leaves down even when thre is no wind etc. The backyard is really small ( it is a villa unit) and we got concerned that one day one of those leaves hit mum ( who is always gardening). Got 6 (!) people quoting on removal as the prices were double or triple comparing to the normal tree- around $1000. Apart from being difficult to cut down in sections, difficult to saw through etc the guys told me the palm tree mulch is considered poisonous an dso can't be donated and needs to be disposed of at the tip - so extra cost...

Should have cut it down 15 years ago when it was half the size!

Doesn't look like a Cocos palm. Looks more like an Alexandria or Bangalow palm.

^ ^ I thought the same.

That big and you'll need some sort of crane or jig on a big truck to lift & transport them.

Pity, because I know golf courses under construction will pay up to $10K ea for a mature palm to plant.

When you get it removed, try to be home to watch as it's like watching a trapeze performance.

We had a huge palm less than a metre from our house and the same distance from the side fence. Combining this with above ground power lines, the arborist couldn't get a cherry picker in to do the job. So instead he climbed up the tree like Tarzan, put his foot spikes in the tree, chainsaw in hand, harness hooked up to the tree and held on for dear life. Each time he sawed off a limb he would end up in a massive spin. The harness was his trapeze and he spun around the tree at high speed.

Being an arborist isn't such a dull job after all it seems.

Back