paying interest via credit card for points

Does anyone pay their IP interest via their credit card, to build up their rewards points super quick. Just transfer your monthly repayments from your savings account to credit card to loan account or am I missing something here? Mark

Yes. Such payments are treated as cash advances and incur immediate costs and forgo the "45(?)" day interest free period.

It ain't worth it!

I would think that drawing a cash advance would not give points, but don't know as I have never used the cash advance on our current credit card.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Wylie

I would think that drawing a cash advance would not give points, but don't know as I have never used the cash advance on our current credit card.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Wylie
Yes of course I wasn't thinking, it would be a cash advance and the interest free period would cease immediately. Thanks guys

Mark

What, and pay the 2 or 3% merchant fee? H

My biz is strictly cash, you can't stuff a CC in a coke machine. :) The only restaurateur I know well enough to ask about CC bank charges has managed to nail her bank to the wall so is not typical either.

In either dollars or percent, how much do retailers pay the bank monthly? Ball park will do.

My biz is strictly cash, you can't stuff a CC in a coke machine. :) The only restaurateur I know well enough to ask about CC bank charges has managed to nail her bank to the wall so is not typical either.

In either dollars or percent, how much do retailers pay the bank monthly? Ball park will do.

I think its c.2% for VISA/Mastercard and prob around 4% for AMEX.

For me, the bank recently raised debit card fees from 15c per transaction to 31c. But Subway made a deal with Commonwealth Bank for 8c per transaction. For the high volume low value transactions I do, that's a big saving.

The rate for cc transactions in .08%.

how much do retailers pay the bank monthly? Ball park will do.

For me it's 20c per debit transaction, and about 0.74% (from memory) for credit. Plus the mothly fee of $30.

CBA get's way too much of my money!!

PS Geoff, .08% for CC? You suck! :p

The rate for cc transactions in .08%.

:eek: Who is that through? Or is that negotiated on behalf of Subway Australia wide as that rate is bloody great!

We pay 0.9% for VISA and MC with a $10 monthly fee through CBA.

There are some creative things you can do with an EFTPOS terminal and your own credit cards. EG if you have one card which has rewards and one that doesn't..... you could charge $5k to one card and then refund it to another card. That means no extra money will show up in your bank and you will pay no merchant fees and you get a lot of points. :D

Or if you had fees like geoff, you could max out your card in a transaction (say a $10k swipe would cost $80 in merchant fees) and you could then do a "Customer Refund" for accounting purposes but do it by bank transfer into an offset account which could save about $120 of interest for 55 days. Plus you get all the points.....

There must be plusses too. If someone buys a sub with a $10 cash out, the total shows in your bank that day, there is less cash in the till to attract armed crims and less banking on Friday.

Counting and banking is a pain for me. My new coin counter takes about 20 mins to count/bag $1k and $4k is about as much as I can carry. Dictates which bank I use too. I must be able to park near the door in their own car park.

If anyone does have much coin to count, mine only cost $140 on eBay and there were plenty listed. It's better than the expensive one that just died.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COIN-COUNTER...ryZ48744QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There must be plusses too. If someone buys a sub with a $10 cash out, the total shows in your bank that day, there is less cash in the till to attract armed crims and less banking on Friday.
Subway actively discourages cashout- it does mean that you have to have a higher float in your register. Though I would do it if the software gave me the facility.
If anyone does have much coin to count, mine only cost $140 on eBay and there were plenty listed. It's better than the expensive one that just died.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COIN-COUNTER...ryZ48744QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I've just bought the same thing from the same seller. I'm happy with the counter, but not with the week and a half it took for the delivery.

Is a "cash advance" withdrawing cash from you credit card. So hitting "savings" at the ATM and withdrawing cash?
Thanks

Back