People just don't want to work these days

I'm having a gripe today!

People just don't want to work anymore. We have a position open as a builder's labourer at the moment and do you think we can fill it?

No way!

A renderer we know said his son and some of his friends are "looking for work" so the renderer asked around if anyone wants a job?

Guess what the most common response was: why should we work, we get the same amount on the dole!

Can you believe it?

Then you've got those inconsiderate so and so's who don't even bother to turn up to the interview without so much as a phone call. I just had an argument on the phone with a little punk for exactly this reason - and now I'm stirred.

I remember when I was young i couldn't wait to start working. I even "fixed" my birth certificate so I could get my first part time job (i was a couple of months too young)

So Sydneysiders, if you know anyone who's looking for a permanent full time builder's labourers position in the multi-unit construction field - drop me a line.

OK - that's my whinge for the day.

thanks

Oh, greencard, hard hat, steel capped boots is necessary and at least one years experience is preferred.

Hehe thats a fair enough gripe.

But come to think of it, I dont really want to work either. The thought of retiring is much more enticing - and thats coming from a soon-to-be 21 year old.

But I do belive that the dole should be cut completely, and taken over in full by that work-for-the-dole scheme. At least then everyone in the community would be useful and not consuming the governments (lack of) funds, for personal enjoyment.

Hi Joanna,

Yes, if a person is content to live a basic lifestyle then the need to work has been removed from todays society. There are even kind hearted people, employed by various charities, to lobby the governments to make it even easier.

Most families only get into trouble on the dole when they have large debts that were incurred while earning income.

The attitude is why work if I don't have to.

On the other hand, if a person wishes to achieve something in their life, it certainly makes it easier to get ahead when so many are content to simply roll along, it means there is less competition.

Having ben there and done that though I had about 50 grand behind me at 25 I can totally understand why some one of 21 would not want to work if they were getting a few bucks aweek over the dole. I mean would you get out of bed at 6 in the morning have to travel to work have the responsabillities of being employed etc. Or would you rather sleep in when it's wet and spend all day at the beach surfing or doing as you please and get maybe $100 a week less than being employed. A 40 hour week breaks down to an extra $2.50 an hour above the dole. Even less when you take work expenses out.

BUT when you realise that you can't stay on the rock'n role for ever you must get a job earn serious money and have a future, which the dole doesn't provide you will wake up and get a job.

I know I wont get out of bed for less than $800 aweek after tax.

Hi guys,

I'm up to 15 staff now and I wouldn't swap any one of them. I interview some great people and always seem to find one outstanding person for a position. I am very selective but I believe there are some great people out there looking for a job which provides them with a few simple things

Clear leadership
Guidelines ( Systems and procedures)
Consideration and respect
Honesty and integrity
Financial reward

A friend of mine who owns an office with 45 staff recently told me "You get good staff by what you will pay them, you keep them by how you treat them".

I'm not suggesting anybody here doesn't do that, just thought I would offer my suggestion. I'm very proud of my team. My industry attracts different people from a labour intensive one however.

Keep looking, there are good people. The hard part is the good ones are happily employed and those bosses, if they are smart, will look after them. Either that or they are good enough to work for themselves.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

In my case I invested my way off the dole :cool:

After what I cost 3rd party insurance there was no way Centrelink were going to let me do WFTD :(

I spent 23 hours in intensive assistance......would of been shorter if I got an earlier apointment with my Dr.

bundy

JoannaK:

You've got it in one. For want of a better word, "youngsters" these days expect to leave school and earn $50K per year. They also expect to be able to buy a $300K house as their first home, but no way will they give up *anything*.

Of course, photo guy can't be bothered moving his sorry ass unless he's getting $65K a year at least. He'd rather bludge off the government.

The sooner the government introduces work for the dole, on a conventional 35 or 40 hour week, the better. I'm sick of paying upwards of $30K per year in tax to fund lazy-arse bludgers.

The dole should not be abolished - it serves a particular purpose. I have applied for the dole twice in my 17-year working history whilst looking for work.

Problem is today everyone expects that the government "owes them a living" so they can go surfing whilst the government pays them to have fun.

l started my working life at 16 and remember thinking in those early working years of my apprenticeship that it would be great if you got the pension untill 25 odd and the work till you die,no retirement.

l dont feel that way now !

Kev ya breaking my heart. Wheres the tissues?

If you want to work for minimun wage be my quest I know what I will work for and what I wont. And minimun wage aint wirth jack. I would rather my sorry ass be at the beach and on the dole getting my $300odd a week than being in a deadend job that I hated with a @#$hole of a boss for $400 a week, take out work expenses and your no better off than the dole. And I bet you'd be a whole lot happier too.

Each to their own and if the system allows you to do it why not if you choose.

Originally posted by Kevmeister
The sooner the government introduces work for the dole, on a conventional 35 or 40 hour week, the better. I'm sick of paying upwards of $30K per year in tax to fund lazy-arse bludgers.

Hi Kev

Agree with you on this one. I would rather work for macas at $3 an hour than apply for the dole. It's just comes down to your mentality and how low you are prepared to stoop down to.

The dole bludger who spends his time surfing on the beach will always be just that a dole bludger renting out a dingy studio in the backstreets next to the grease trap of the shop in front.

However we will be the owners of the beachfronts overlooking that beach. :)

Regards

Investor :)

I reckon, bring on the system the US has.

Have no job? Fine, show up at the local municipal offices by 8:30am and you've got a days work, minimum pay.

Keeps the streets and parks clean, landscaping done etc. Council gets economical (not cheap) labour, you get money to eat.

Working 3-4 days = average dole payment, leaving time to apply and attend interviews.

No work - fine, but no money. Then lets see how many people are on welfare.

I used to have a friend who would swap between work or not. He actually earned less working than on the dole - where's the incentive for that ?!?!?! He'd only work when he got bored.

Welfare needs to be there, but the attitude needs to change. Everyone thinks the world owes them something.

Photo Guy - Lets see you sit on the beach with no money at all. Changes the attractiveness factor a little doesn't it....

BBruham - Single mums - Depends on how they got there. No choice (dumped, divorced etc) - sympathy. By choice - hmmmmm......I have more trouble with that.... Also, any more kids while on welfare should be no additional payments given you've made a choice !

Of course, I doubt any of our pollies would ever have the guts to change anything related to this.

Me - I'd rather pay my way.

In the end - how do you want to be judged for playing the game?

Cheerio !

Simon.

The longer you sit on the dole the harder it is to get that $65000 a year job so eventually you will never get off the dole. At what age does a young dole bludging surfie become a wrinkly old loser?

the sooner the government makes it impossible to bludge, the better off we'll all be.

Nat:mad:

I found the biggest problem as an employer is that if you don't (or can't) offer enough pay (ie it was low (but award) full time wage and they have kids or for a part time wage to a single person) then it was better to stay on the dole 'cos of all the hassles and the reduction in pay and benefits plus the additional tax you were up for. Some full time award wages are less than the benefits available to families of 4 to 5.

Spoke to local member at the time detailing the issues - wasn't interested a bit he said to refer to Treasurer. Of course, Costello didn't even acknowledge the problem.

Also an issue:

The "new tax system" was supposed to eliminate the cash economy but appears to have had little effect in that area, of course cash contractors do not have access to input tax credits but they don't have to pay tax on profits either. So the cash economy proliferates particularly in the building industry.

Effect is probably negligible, depends if it is a moral issue for you.

Cathy

Originally posted by natmarie@work
The longer you sit on the dole the harder it is to get that $65000 a year job so eventually you will never get off the dole. At what age does a young dole bludging surfie become a wrinkly old loser?

the sooner the government makes it impossible to bludge, the better off we'll all be.

Nat:mad:

Hi
Can you see the $65K a year dogooders at Centrelink fixing the problem so they would have to go work in the real world? I don't think so :rolleyes:

bundy

The dole is much too high to encourage people to get a job.

I have relatives who have not worked for years. he has athritis but does nothing about it but sits at home playing computer games and get fat. She hasnt worked for 19 years but has to pretent to look for a job because their youngest is over 16 yo. Their teenage kids wants goods but are too lazy to look for part time jobs so the family picks up electrical items from the op shop for nought and have been known to sell them

Why do they want to look for work when they are getting discounts on rates, vehicle registration, travel and medicine.

I then did a calculation- the dole and benefits vs earning a basic wage because they have no skills.

They are better off being on the dole.

Me (when I was working) 40 hours a week an employee, travelling to and from work. My net wages was within the ball park of their dole wage. But at least I was contributing to society.

I have been unemployed for nearly 12 months-(partially my choice after a redundancy package). Because I had proerpty investments etc. I was not able to obtain any benefits. I then work contracted for 5 months and still no dole when I finsihed. I have paid taxes for 30 years. The system sucks. I am not after the dole but I want people to work for the dole and contribute to society.

On the subject of centrelink...

I picked up a country newspaper today, and saw an interesting
little story-- a visit by to a nearby olive farm last week resulted in
the arrest of a bunch of workers who were claiming the dole and also working and getting cash in hand, it turned out they were illegal immigrants as well--

Question is -isnt it the responsibility of the people at centrelink to check the bona fides of applicants? how on earth do people who
are not Australian citizens become eligable for the dole? dont
you need a birth certificate or proof of citizenship or something?
These people were all from the Balkans, how can it be so easy ?

any wonder there is so much rorting,

About 7 years ago I lost everything I had when my business went under. We lost our house, cars, trucks, stock etc. We ended up with ourselves and some furniture which we sometimes sold off for groceries. I went to Centrelink to go on unemployment benefits. I walked in and looked around, someone wanted me to take a number, I refused, (I will never allow myself to be treated like I'm just a number) looked at the people waiting and those serving and refused to believe I had come to this and walked back out.

We got absolutely desperate some time later and I decided to swallow my pride and go back and do what it would take, after all I had a wife and 2 small children, I think under 3 at the time. Same thing happened, I just couldn't do it. I refused to believe I wasn't worthy of a better life. We were receiving family payment and rent assistance, so we survived on that. Soon after I began my Real Estate career and never looked back.

So, my point is, it's all to do with our attitude. Yep you can live on benefits but you will never have self satisfaction. You will never grow as a person and you will never look at yourself with the belief you have reached your destiny and fulfilled your value in the community. You cannot borrow money, invest or reach financial freedom. What price do you put on your dignity? Where do you draw the line at your own value and self worth?

It's all about attitude. It's our own choice and we live by it, whether we want to accept it or not. The dole was not an option for me.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Being in university, I get Youth Allowance, as long as I keep my income below a certain amount.

However, I quit my job recently because of clashes with my uni timetable. My employer kept making demands for me to work, and I couldn't keep up with them. The excuse of "I've got classes then" or "major assignment due tomorrow" got a bit old (even though it was true).

While I support the work-for-the-dole program, I've found that not working gave me new ideas for making money. I actually picked up an investment book after quitting my job, leading me into looking at property investment (and this site). My income now comes from selling dig. cameras as a distributor - flexible hours (anytime), and the money is more than working part-time.

Originally posted by photo guy
Kev ya breaking my heart. Wheres the tissues?

If you want to work for minimun wage be my quest I know what I will work for and what I wont. And minimun wage aint wirth jack. I would rather my sorry ass be at the beach and on the dole getting my $300odd a week than being in a deadend job that I hated with a @#$hole of a boss for $400 a week, take out work expenses and your no better off than the dole. And I bet you'd be a whole lot happier too.

Each to their own and if the system allows you to do it why not if you choose.

Oh. I'm misinformed. The system ALLOWS YOU TO DO IT. You should have said so. Perhaps what you really mean is the system can be gotten around. Is that what you really meant?

So, photoguy, perhaps you'd like to inform us exactly what you would do each fortnight in terms of looking for work? I mean, you can't surf every day, all day, can you?

I thought you had to fill in a little form for Centrelink that details jobs that you have applied for, interviews attended etc. I thought Centrelink could cut off your dole if you weren't looking for work.

Come clean, photoguy, tell us about how diligent you were applying for lots of jobs, or did you simply defraud the government by picking some job ads from the paper and writing them on your form, when in fact you didn't apply for any at all?

Or, even better, perhaps tell us there is a little tick-box on the Centrelink form that says "Sorry, I couldn't have been bothered looking for work this week so I went _____ instead (fill in blank)".

The funny thing is, photoguy, is that now you've got a job, you're happy paying out 40% of your pay or whatever in tax knowing full well there's others just like you out there bludging off your taxes, meaning you don't get to enjoy as much of your income as you might be able to, because the government has to tax you more heavily to fund dole bludgers.

I see it clearly now - income tax is your form of superannuation for when you want to go back on the dole, right?

Back