Persistence and determination

I've reproduced this from an email from Robert Ringer (on his mailing list) and it makes interesting reading on how continually pushing in the right direction will get you there.

Its from a reader called Pat, with RR's comments at the bottom:

Talk about a tough time growing up ... I know a lot of adults who relate to the experiences of being bullied in school. That includes from first grade to
commencement. I was always small. I didn't weigh 100 pounds until I turned 17. My dad was a laborer. We didn't have a car. From age 12 until I left the little town I lived in, I worked after school every day and every weekend. My teeth were poor. My clothes were from garage sales. Never had a date.

Never went to anyone's birthday party. Didn't even know how to dance. Sat by myself at school ball games. (I got in free because I would clean up the bleachers after the games.) No one walked to or from school with me. The jocks referred to me as "Cauliflower Face" because of my prominent ears and
bad facial condition. I don't think I ever had a one minute conversation with a girl in any circumstance in school or out of school. The coaches didn't even
put me on any of the teams for organized athletics classes. I don't have any
pictures of myself except for the few school pictures that were taken. We didn't have a camera. When I hitchhiked out of the little town that I grew up in, I had all my possessions in an old backpack and a cardboard suitcase. I had $15. Went to Chicago and got a job as a clerk in a steel mill on the South Side.

Lived in a sleeping room, ate at a hot dog stand, rode a bus, roamed around in museums and downtown streets, and sent all the money I could to my younger brothers and sisters. I was the last man hired and I had no family, so I got all night shifts and weekends and holidays. Oh, but I was big
enough and strong enough to get drafted during the Korean Conflict. I had basic training and some classes that didn't amount to anything useful, and then went overseas. Spent a lot of time sleeping on the ground in snow and freezing rain. We had alcoholic sergeants and really, really stupid officers who didn't have a clue about what our unit was supposed to be doing. Got
both my legs and one arm badly broken. Got out of the military. No jobs back in my home town. Decided to enroll in some business courses at a big university. Liked the atmosphere. Worked in the dining halls. Ate meals
with normal, happy, smart guys and girls. Got my teeth straightened. Took technique of wrestling and social dancing as my two physical education courses. (The joke was that "The classes are the same except some of the
holds are barred in wrestling.) Always had a classmate or dorm mate to walk to class with. Went to all the record hops and took more lessons there. Got good clothes and had some spending money for movies and burgers and ball games with groups of co-workers, both male and female. Got super jobs during the summers and helped out my siblings. Got a degree from The Big University. Got a wonderful job. Met and married a wonderful woman. House ... cars ... kids ... vacations to Europe and South America and just about every big park in the U.S. Paid for college expenses for all my younger brothers and sisters. A nice allowance for my parents and my wife's parents. All my kids got two college degrees. I've been an officer in several
important organizations. I'm a true millionaire. Everyone connected to my
family is in excellent health. I've gone to all the reunions of my high school class. Nothing like having a new Lexus and a thousand dollar suit and a Rolex and a smooth tropical tan that all the classmates can notice. I had memorized the names of all the classmates and their wives so that I could chit-chat. Some of the classmates knew of my travels and business successes and had spread the word to others. The moral is: It is possible
to move on from a bleak background. I never got a Christmas card from anyone until I was in college. Last year we got big piles of cards and letters from neighbors, distant relatives, club members, co-workers, old college chums, church members, and many other good friends and acquaintances. My wife and kids and I are aware of what true friendship is.
We help others. We are secure. We are happy. We are optimistic. The bullying and psychological mistreatment and harsh conditions of the early years are not forgotten, but those things are all far behind me now. - Pat

RR note: Yours is a real-life Horatio Alger story, and my hat is off to you for your remarkable accomplishments. Your rise from a seemingly hopeless situation to a lifetime of admirable achievements should be an inspiration to all
readers. Unfortunately, many people who are confined to the Nondescript Ring or Outcast Ring during their high school years do not have the genetic makeup to rise above it after graduation. As a result, they are marred
for life. The only thing I would have done differently than you is that I would not have gone to those class reunions. Personally, I had no desire to
rub it in anyone's face, but, hey, you're entitled to a bit of ego satisfaction
after all you went though.

Nice story Tubs, thanks for posting it.

I think my 10yr reunion is supposed to be this year. Don't have much desire to go to it, only 6 or so people I'd be interested in seeing I'm still friends with anyway.

Is it just me, or do these contradict each other:

"Nothing like having a new Lexus and a thousand dollar suit and a Rolex and a smooth tropical tan that all the classmates can notice. I had memorized the names of all the classmates and their wives so that I could chit-chat. Some of the classmates knew of my travels and business successes and had spread the word to others."

and

"My wife and kids and I are aware of what true friendship is. ... We are secure. ... The bullying and psychological mistreatment and harsh conditions of the early years are not forgotten, but those things are all far behind me now."

:confused:

Interested to hear others' thoughts...

A bit like a friend of mine who always says that money is not important to her but then proceeds to tell me in great detail how well their business is going and how much is in their super funds.....

They started out with nothing and have built a multi million dollar business through sheer hard work.

Doesn't matter as I really like her - and we go back about 25 years when our girls were friends at kindergarten!!

But she did give one pearl of wisdom that I often reflect on - "once you have enough, then more money is just that - more money". I have found that it's one of the great truths in this world.
Marg

Is it just me, or do these contradict each other:

"Nothing like having a new Lexus and a thousand dollar suit and a Rolex and a smooth tropical tan that all the classmates can notice. I had memorized the names of all the classmates and their wives so that I could chit-chat. Some of the classmates knew of my travels and business successes and had spread the word to others."

and

"My wife and kids and I are aware of what true friendship is. ... We are secure. ... The bullying and psychological mistreatment and harsh conditions of the early years are not forgotten, but those things are all far behind me now."

I agree totally. The first paragraph actually made me cringe. We actually know people just like this, and they also make me cringe (and everybody else :p).

If the bullying etc from the early years are far behind him, he should not have to be trying so hard to impress his old school acquaintances. Sounds like a tosser to me :p.

This is why I have never gone to a school reunion. Hubby went to several. The ten year reunion was all comparisons of salaries, cars etc. Hubby's mates actually left him out of the conversation as he was not in the same line of business. He was a little hurt and disappointed. Once the salary/cars discussions finished, he got drunk with the rest of them, and things were back to normal.

I had to smile to myself, as we had several IPs under our belts, but hubby would never have tried to outdo anybody in this regard, so I am sure they all thought he was struggling :p. I think they all thought "poor chap" he is not earning the same salary as us, and even though they were still friends and occasionally had drinks without the "who earns more than me crap", in the school reunion setting, they did rather turn into tossers.

Twenty year reunion was better, with the showing off having lost its importance and much more interest in each other, not what each "owned" or "earned".

Thirty year reunion was almost "normal". Nobody seeming to have to prove anything, and lamenting those who have fallen off the perch.

Spare me school reunions :eek:

i passed on my 10y reunion. i don't do pi55ing contests and i never played well with the other kids.

they all know how well i'm doing for myself. they all whisper and they're all full of s__t. they all bagged me out when i was growing up. i won't give them the satisfaction to judge me again, especially under the pretense of fake smiles and exchange of business cards.

if i never see the people i went to school with again, other than the ones that stuck by me, it will be too soon.

I agree totally. The first paragraph actually made me cringe. We actually know people just like this, and they also make me cringe (and everybody else :p).

If the bullying etc from the early years are far behind him, he should not have to be trying so hard to impress his old school acquaintances. Sounds like a tosser to me :p.

:eek:

You're kidding right!!

Obviously you cannot relate to the poster. Many in his position wouldn't have had the strength to get anywhere.
Good on him for flaunting it in their face. It may have made them think about the feelings of others. Maybe they went home and told their children the story of the ugly bloke who made good. Maybe their children will be better people from the lesson.
Bill Gates said to a lecture to high school children (can't remember the exact wording). " look at the geeks sitting next to you, they will be your boss in 10 years time".

Back