Persistent loan purpose on refinance

Here is the question:

If I have an investment loan and refinance it, would the purpose of the new loan stay as "investment", meaning the interest is deductible? I am pretty sure the answer is YES but would be nice to get it confirmed by the experts.

Cheers,
Lotana

Lotana,

It really doesn't matter what the bank believes the purpose is for. If the loan is to generate income then it is tax deductable. That is between you and the ATO.

The loan application asks the purpose of the loan to determine whether it fall under the UCCC (Uniform Consumer Credit Code). This is an additional set of rules to protect innocent consumers from unscrupulous lenders and their evil agents. The UCCC doesn't apply to the more sophisticated investors and business folk - that's why the banks ask the purpose of the loan.

That is a little tongue in cheek description but basically accurate.

If you need more info about the UCCC I have a complete set of notes I can email you. Great insomnia cure!

All the best,

Thank Rolf,

I should've made myself clearer. Let's consider this scenario.

Investment loan with outstanding balance of $100,000 with lender A is refinanced with lender B.

Th eoriginal loan from lender A was used to purchase an IP.
$100,000 from the new loan is used to repay the old loan.

Is the interest charged to the new loan tax deductible?

Regards,

Lotana

Hi Lotana

yes, the interest on the new loan is tax deductible. As would the borrowing costs as well, bye the way.

Dale

Originally posted by Lotana
Thank Rolf,

I should've made myself clearer. Let's consider this scenario.

Investment loan with outstanding balance of $100,000 with lender A is refinanced with lender B.

Th eoriginal loan from lender A was used to purchase an IP.
$100,000 from the new loan is used to repay the old loan.

Is the interest charged to the new loan tax deductible?

Regards,

Lotana

Back