Perth northern beach "sleeper suburbs"

http://m.perthnow.com.au/realestate...lion-dollar-club/story-fnhlgriw-1226849594558

Disclaimer: I'm biased. I ended up buying in Hillarys after I was priced out if Padbury last winter (true story).

I wonder what people make of the above article, which declares Hillarys, Kallaroo and Mullaloo as "sleeper suburbs"?

It seems to me a lot of these areas have their fair share of public housing, poor schools etc. but then again compared to Butler and Alkimos they are " central" (relatively speaking) with solid block sizes.

I am pretty sure that these suburbs don't have that much public housing thy are affluent northern coastal suburbs. The cheaper suburbs one step inland in between these coastal suburbs and the freeway have all bolted over the last 2 years and have played a 'catch up' game. These coastal spots are moving atm and more growth would be on the way as price increases flow from first home buyer and 'catch up' suburbs to up grader and affluent suburbs such as Hillary's, Kallaroo and Mullaloo.

I know Kallaroo moved quite a bit in 2012 (12-15%) i think.

You can also find some large blocks in proposed rezoning areas in Kallaroo and nearby Sorrento.

Just a few observations from my visit to perth last weekend

These northern beach suburbs (after Scarborough) havnt really existed that long have they? Every house is new or less than 15 years old. There's the odd one that looks like its been there for a while - 30 years?

People say that perth prices arnt linked to mining. I would have to disagree. Every young person I met there or know thrre works in the mines in some form. They are on massive incomes and can afford to pay a million bucks for a house on a tiny block near a beach.
It's even expensive to build a house there because trades are hard to come by because all the locals work in the mines

Weighing it all up - small block sizes, very high buy in prices linked to shortage in available workers to build and massive average incomes it all seems way to risky to invest there at the moment

Agree that there's not much public housing at all in those suburbs, but I feel they're held back by neighbouring suburbs on the other side of marmian ave.
I sold in Mullaloo a few years ago and prices were down then, and havent moved a great deal since. People will naturally move north as they are priced out of north beach, marmion etc. But I think when you start to get as far north as Mullaloo, you start to weigh whether you want to trade house quality (available in the far-far northern burbs) for location.
To me, it's all a bit depressing up there and I couldn't get out soon enough.

In a couple of years...people will be saying wish thta they had biught in Butler/Alkimos when it was affordable!

http://m.perthnow.com.au/realestate...lion-dollar-club/story-fnhlgriw-1226849594558

Disclaimer: I'm biased. I ended up buying in Hillarys after I was priced out if Padbury last winter (true story).

I wonder what people make of the above article, which declares Hillarys, Kallaroo and Mullaloo as "sleeper suburbs"?

It seems to me a lot of these areas have their fair share of public housing, poor schools etc. but then again compared to Butler and Alkimos they are " central" (relatively speaking) with solid block sizes.

Are there any areas in Perth that are affordable (under 500k - closer to 400 better) that have older housing stock available?

Something as close to land value as possible

Are there any areas in Perth that are affordable (under 500k - closer to 400 better) that have older housing stock available?

Something as close to land value as possible

There are plenty of deals in Mirrabooka, only 12 km from city, excellent infrastructure and decent homes for low-mid $400s, this area has been seriously overlooked as the herd are chasing the development sites in Girrawheen/Koondoola and Balga. This area is representing incredible value, wont last

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mirrabooka-116445819

We sold up in Burns and took an ocean view home on 700sqm for 100k less in Ocean Reef.

Nearly made that back in under a year. Sleeper indeed.

Mirrabooka does present great value. Not sure how much the northern light rail link delay has dampened prices. Are they still going through with that or is the Southern section connecting Curtin Uni taking first preference.

Nice move Aaron. I think an ocean view home in Ocean Reef will be highly sought after when the Ocean Reef Marina is completed. Not sure how the project is progressing. Still a long way off. Nearby blocks in Heathridge in the proposed rezoning areas also present good options

http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/develop/majorprojects/oceanreefmarina/statusreport.aspx

http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/develop/majorprojects/oceanreefmarina/imagegallery.aspx

I cant understand why someone would want to live in butler / alkamos as opposed to somewhere like padbury warwick greenwood ect....... i think in 5-10 years time it will be pretty rough up there!

It is much cheaper than Greenwood/Warwick. Cheap housing there sailed some time ago.

Not much cheaper than Girrawheen/Marangaroo/Alexander Heights though...

granted you get a much newer house for the same price but there are still houses in greenwood padbury ect Sub 550K..... which seems to be around the price of houses in butler... albeit on much smaller blocks? I think Quinns Rocks is quit undervalued compared to surrounding suburbs.

Isn't Hillarys more expensive then Padbury how were you priced out would love to know or is it a typo and the other way round.

I don't know. It seems people looking in Padbury were looking for a very specific product (older house on large block) while people looking in Hillarys were looking for something shiny, two storey... It didn't make sense so I thought it was an opportunity. The rest was negotiation and lots of tidying up. Proud to say got it revalued two weeks in. It feels the area has moved a bit since but I need a breather...

Just stay away from Marmion, too noisy.

Back