Peter Spann

Any comments on the Peter Spann segment on Current Affairs tonight? Pretty inspiring media focus for a change..........

Peter Spann has been around for quite a no. of yrs now, so I'm surprised they're running his story so late. API did a lead article on him yrs ago and he's had lots of publicity since- maybe they dug it up because of all the PI madness and the current boom- gaining a bigger audience etc.

Erik,

It wasn't bad. It did focus on the "after" lifestyle, without too many details of how it happened.

I was inspired into R/E by Mr Spann (Peter Pan as MrsW calls him). Yes, I did the $3K course- but three years before the rest of the world got into it :D . So I have a lot to be thankful for (and I did get the chance to thank him personally last week).

What they aired was all too brief. But having been interviewed for 20 minutes for a 20 second spot on TDT I can understand.

Originally posted by geoffw

What they aired was all too brief. But having been interviewed for 20 minutes for a 20 second spot on TDT I can understand.
Geoff, if everyone gets 15 minutes of fame, is that before or after the editing room gets it.
JIM

Saw the Peter Spann interview, and to my way of thinking most of these types of stories make property investing sound so easy. The general public (after watching that interview) would probably only be able to a few I/P's using Spanny's strategy because they would be negatively geared to the hilt. What these shows dont include is ALSO that Peter Spann is a very big options trader which is how he funds a lot of his I/P's. Sorry if I sound cynical, dont mean to, just wish these shows would tell us more details. For the record, I think Peter Spann is an inspiration, I too paid 3k a few years back to see him.
Have a good day

I saw the story and thought it was pretty inspirational. What id like to know is exactly how did he make 22 million dollars? Like whats his strategy?

He spoke about renos but i think it would be hard for anyone to make that sort of money doing renos, unless they were on a massive scale.

Any one know of a web site or more info?

Originally posted by brains
I saw the story and thought it was pretty inspirational. What id like to know is exactly how did he make 22 million dollars? Like whats his strategy?

He spoke about renos but i think it would be hard for anyone to make that sort of money doing renos, unless they were on a massive scale.

Any one know of a web site or more info?
You could always go to one of his seminars :D

very inspirational read.

didnt see much of the episode of aca last night. had some relatives over and they were making too much noise. remember seeing his ferrari and his house though :)

would be interested to know how much of his wealth is derived from properties vs options trading?

julie

haha:).....love it!.......i think i'll just read up on him thanks Geoff. And thanks for the article Sam.

Originally posted by geoffw
You could always go to one of his seminars :D

That interview doesn't do him justice. He is a unique individual who can makes others sit up and listen.

I have a couple of reasons to be thankful for peter spann.

I found this forum by searching for "Peter Spann" after going in to his introduction evening. [ I have read Jans books at the time, but she never mentioned this forum in her early books].

Then I asked about him in the [original] forum, and GeoffW has good things to say about him as he has been only a few months before. I then decided to go for the full seminar.[Thank you GeoffW:) ]

{Actualy come to think of it; I went to the introduction seminar afetr reading RDPD and looking for information resources. Until then I considered seminars as same as cult gatherings:D . and the first ad I saw after that was from Peter Spann!!!}

He has opened my eyes into many posibilities that I didn't know existed untill then. I had an IP then and I was quite contented with that ;even smug:eek: about it.he he.

Another thing I like about him is he does not hold back when he teaches. He practicaly gives out all he does [my openion] . And he admits when he is wrong [he might sulk, yell but he is open minded]. overtime he has changed his strategies slightly.

so all the best for achiving his goal to be in BRW 200 in 5 years

For me, hearing Peter Spann talk and consequently reading his course notes (hubby did the course) opened my mind to new possibilities and changed my motivation enormously. I began using his strategies and diversified as I went on to more varied education and worked on my own independent thinking.
He is highly motivational and if that's what it takes for some ppl to get started on the way to thinking about their financial future, then I think he's done a great job there.
As for his share techniques, I can't comment too much as it's not my forte, but he did EXTREMELY well out of them, particularly in the last 90's. Times may have changed, but there are still ways to make money out of shares. Just don't ask me!!

Brains

i believe he built some Consultancy business or a couple of them and turned over some big dollars.

he definitely didnt go big from property alone.

beech

I believe that is an important point to make.

PS had the benefit of effectively building two businesses.

One was IPs.

The other an organisational consultancy.

The point was made that he also got involved in shares and that there are still ways to make money out of shares. Very true.

His philosophy (at least that he shares in "Wealth Magic") is to buy into companies in which the Directors are also substantial shareholders.

In his book he refers to one company he invested in, a travel consultancy. At the risk of stating the obvious, it seems 99.99% certain to say that the organisation to which he refers (but doesn't name) is Flight Centre.

And yes, many of the Directors in that company are major shareholders - the point being - they are playing around with their money, not others.

A couple of years back there were at least 4 individuals on the BRW 200 whose wealth was significantly, if not wholly, attributable to their shareholdings in FC (they all had a net wealth in excess of $100 mil).

One of them is Greame "Skroo" Turner - with an estimated net wealth of about $400 m he is Qld's richest man.

MB

I think his initial (real) cash flow came from being employed as an advertising copy writer. A step up from Woolies I guess!! I also believe he owns a chain of pharmacy retail outlets.

It's a while since I read his book "Wealth Magic" but I think he goes into his story more in that. Also, you can phone Freeman Fox and get videos of his intro seminars for about $50, which I've found to be very good. I've got the property and the shares ones (might be combined now).

From what I've heard him say (grain of salt stuff)...

Peter Spann started off renovating- and selling.

But he started that path by going to an expensive seminar. (by his own admission, he sneaked in without paying- though years later offered to pay back).

It seems that gave him a vision of something.

He says that he only started the "renovate and hold" strategy as a result of a question he answered in one of his early forums. He crunched figures, and the figures came out good.

But, he did have business experience- though not with a good result.

And he does admit to going to a lot of seminars- including a number in the US.

I assume that he could go to those seminars as a result of his renovate and sell strategy. That was many years before it became popular in the mass media.

He does have (as far as I know) two businesses now- a pharmacy (I think "Full Life"?) and Freeman Fox, which is the seminar/property/finance/stockbroking arm.

He now advocates some share strategies as a way of servicing investment properties.

But he also says that investment property is "the way" to wealth- and that the share strategies are only a means of building servicability for the investment properties.

Having said that- obviously business is an important way to wealth for him. One reason he has "only" 60+ properties is because he says he had to sell quite a few in order to make Freeman Fox into more than just a lecture circuit business.

Originally posted by Nimee
I found this forum by searching for "Peter Spann" after going in to his introduction evening. [ I have read Jans books at the time, but she never mentioned this forum in her early books]
The same way I found this forum- obviously not long before you did

[qote]Then I asked about him in the [original] forum, and GeoffW has good things to say about him as he has been only a few months before. I then decided to go for the full seminar.[Thank you GeoffW:) ][/quote]You're welcome. It's good to know comments I made a few years ago were of long term value to you.
He has opened my eyes into many posibilities that I didn't know existed untill then. I had an IP then and I was quite contented with that ;even smug:eek: about it.he he
I was in just about the same position.

Another thing I like about him is he does not hold back when he teaches. He practicaly gives out all he does [my openion] . And he admits when he is wrong [he might sulk, yell but he is open minded]. overtime he has changed his strategies slightly.

so all the best for achiving his goal to be in BRW 200 in 5 years
Well, he's an opinionated and strong minded person. He rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. But it's probably that same determination which got him where he is. Which is the same place that most in this forum want to be.

Back