(pic) Should I bother doing the kitchen?

Hi guys,

I am wanting to sell my unit soon. As you can see from the pic, the kitchen is ok but a bit 1990s (the pic is a bit distorted...I pasted together 3 pics so you could see the entire U-shape kitchen.

It bothers me that the stove is under the window and that the benchtops are a pinky-grey laminex. But will potential buyers really care?

If I relocated the stove (put in a ceramic cooktop, rangehood etc) and redid the benchtops would it really make that much difference to the sale price versus simply keeping the benchtops and existing layout and doing a simple touch-up like respraying my cupboards and retiling the splashback??

UPDATE: here's a bit more background info....It's a 1970s unit complex (i.e. brick rectangle). The inside of my unit looks "fresh". Not old but not super modern either. These 1970s units are bought by investors or people looking to get into the market.....mid 300s usually. I've seen a few that have been super-renovated but am not sure if it really adds to the bottom line.

16gfvjb.jpg

Last edited:
Talk to your estate agent. My feeling is that the cupboards and benchtop look fine. If you want some jooj, I'd get a stainless steel stove and leave it at that... depends on area, what's standard, who your buyer is etc.

Yep, I think it looks pretty average. Don't like the multi-coloured doors, and I think the stove under the window will raise a few eyebrows.

I reckon you should get the stove and microwave moved to the middle of the cupboards area. Something alone the lines of of the image below. Be sure to keep the stove and the microwave, they appear to be fine and why go to the added expense if they don't need replacing.

Move the sink under the window and leave the fridge where it is.

Best of luck. :)

Attachments

• Kitchen%204.jpg
    Kitchen%204.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 99
Whoa - that looks incredible compared to some of mine ;)

I think it would depend on the value of the place. You don't want to over capitalise.
IMO moving the stove would be a waste, unless you could do it yourself, even then, you'd more than likely still have to pay a sparky.

I think it would depend on the value of the place. You don't want to over capitalise.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah...I'm mindful of overcapitalising. It's a 1970s unit complex (i.e. brick rectangle). The inside of my unit looks "fresh". Not old but not super modern either. These 1970s units are bought by investors or people looking to get into the market.....mid 300s usually. I've seen a few that have been super-renovated but am not sure if it really adds to the bottom line.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd focus on adding some useless little ornaments that give it a 'modern' feel and getting rid of the clutter.

Cheers

Jamie

Depends on the area as mentioned above, but the kitchen looks neat. From my side, I'm seeing people become a lot more price sensitive/willing to do reno's themselves in order to get the property at the right price because of neccessity (ie the bank refuses to lend them any more), with the lower end of the market a lot more active than the higher end - so my focus would probably be to keep the sale price as low as possible, particularly since the kitchen is the most expensive room in the house.

particularly since the kitchen is the most expensive room in the house.[/QUOTE]

thats funny i thought it was the bedroom ,always seems to cost me 18 years of costs for the kids that seem to come from it

Okay fine, keep everything as it is, but for goodness sake match the cupboard doors; unless there is something with my screen settings, you've got 3 or 4 white ones and the rest are a creamy colour!! :eek:

And if you're going to keep it "retro" looking maybe consider decluttering the bench tops and replacing all that stuff with one or two strategically placed kitchen appliances ie. retro-style blender or kitchen scales (something that says "look at me") and not all the stuff around me!!

Lol....don't fear, at the very least I'm planning to make all the doors white and make the splashback white as well. :D
Sorry ren, no offence meant, it's just that it looks like a nice little kitchen but with the mismatched door colours and the clutter detracks from what is otherwise a very functional little kitchenette. White is a good choice it will make it look bigger. And I agree with everyone else, you don't want to OVERCAPITALISE and certainly not spend any more money than you ABSOLUTELY have to. Though if the theme of the place is 70's go with and embrace that, introduce one of those "yeah baby" type ceiling lamps or a 70ish mixer or some such appliance and really SELL the place using that era to set the scene for a (fingers crossed) SHAGGADELIC sale!! ;) :D

Maybe something like the image below. :)

Attachments

• kitchen_retro_gallery__600x400-600x400.jpg
    kitchen_retro_gallery__600x400-600x400.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 89
particularly since the kitchen is the most expensive room in the house

thats funny i thought it was the bedroom ,always seems to cost me 18 years of costs for the kids that seem to come from it

that's what happens when you skimp on proper fluidproof membranes in strategic places or anti vermin chemicals in the bedroom :p

Personally, I wouldn't do a thing (except for those doors), all in all it looks great.

I can't tell all that well as I'm on my phone, but the benchtops and cupboards actually look quite new and nice, plus I wouldn't worry about the oven - you won't have to live with it!

yeah a cheap new stainless steel cooker would help heaps, but I can't see how any other upgrade would add any real value. Everyone has different taste too! It looks fine to me, and I like the idea of a good 2nd hand one, maybe scratch/dent kind, never used.

good luck!

Hi guys,

I am wanting to sell my unit soon. As you can see from the pic, the kitchen is ok but a bit 1990s (the pic is a bit distorted...I pasted together 3 pics so you could see the entire U-shape kitchen.

It bothers me that the stove is under the window and that the benchtops are a pinky-grey laminex. But will potential buyers really care?

If I relocated the stove (put in a ceramic cooktop, rangehood etc) and redid the benchtops would it really make that much difference to the sale price versus simply keeping the benchtops and existing layout and doing a simple touch-up like respraying my cupboards and retiling the splashback??

UPDATE: here's a bit more background info....It's a 1970s unit complex (i.e. brick rectangle). The inside of my unit looks "fresh". Not old but not super modern either. These 1970s units are bought by investors or people looking to get into the market.....mid 300s usually. I've seen a few that have been super-renovated but am not sure if it really adds to the bottom line.

16gfvjb.jpg

Hi Ren,

I think you have to be very careful overcapitalising. Ask yourself this question: if you update the kitchen will you stay in the home tiny bit longer to allow valuations in the area to pick up? Further more what sort of area are you in has it already reached it's max growth?

To me I would leave the kitchen as is. Do your research & put a reasonable price on the home (fractionally more than perhaps what you need as buyers will always bargain you down :)) An idea may be to get onto a site like bunnings or an online kitchen design tool. Use this to print up some snappy brochure/flyers to leave in the kitchen for prospective buyers to look at so they have an idea of what can be acheived with the space & an approx price. That way they can see achievable potential that will make them money as they will be in the home longer to allow for vals to pick up & you get your price. Win Win. Hope this helps

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd focus on adding some useless little ornaments that give it a 'modern' feel and getting rid of the clutter.

Cheers

Jamie

I agree.. I'd leave it, it gives the option for the new buyer to personalise the kitchen and put in a new one if they wish.. who is to say you replace it and the buyer thinks its horrid and wants a $15k price reduction to allow for a new kitchen?

Back