Planning ahead for new PPOR purchase

Hi all. This is a bit of a long term planning question.

My partner and I recently moved into a unit that he owns, it is the first time he has lived in it, renting it out for the past 5 years since it was purchased. The initial loan of $275K has been paid down to $100K (fully paid down, not offset account). Obviously the interest was all tax deductible up until the point we moved into the unit. The current value is around $390K.

The question is that we are planning on buying a bigger place to live in together in 2-3 years. Currently all our finances are separate and we intend to keep it that way until the relationship is a bit more long term. When we move the unit will turn back into an IP.

My concern is that my partners intention to pay the loan down to zero before we move isn't going to maximise tax benefits further down the track as I gather if he redraws the mortgage and uses the money as a large deposit on our PPOR none of the interest would be tax deductible. I mentioned that to him on the weekend but he thought he could sort it all out with an accountant when we were ready to buy in a couple of years. I thought I'd better check out the options now so if there are no good refinancing strategies he can halt additional loan payments and at least have the $100K as tax deductible later on.

Any suggestions on some (completely legitimate non ATO eyebrow raising strategies) to maximise benefits further down the track? I thought perhaps refinancing or redrawing all the excess payments (as he's a good 15 years ahead on repayments) and putting them into an offset account so no additional interest is paid.. not sure if that is appropriate or not. The main intention is to have the highest loan possible against the IP and the lowest loan possible against the PPOR.

Refinancing or redrawing will take money out of the loan and that will mean new borrowings. ie this is treated as new loans.

This is a question that pops up here almost daily. There is not much you can do other than to stop paying the loan down now and that way at least the interest on the outstanding loan should be deductible.

Another option is to sell it to your at full market value and you borrow to purchase it. Stamp duty will be payable in full in NSW and CGT will apply in this case too.

Any suggestions on some (completely legitimate non ATO eyebrow raising strategies) to maximise benefits further down the track? I thought perhaps refinancing or redrawing all the excess payments (as he's a good 15 years ahead on repayments) and putting them into an offset account so no additional interest is paid.. not sure if that is appropriate or not. The main intention is to have the highest loan possible against the IP and the lowest loan possible against the PPOR.

Sue the credit adviser/banker/broker/acct for not asking the right questions.

Im kidding, since its highly unlikely that your partner would have asked the question, and 99 % of loan providers have trouble looking past their coffee cup to see beyond tommorrow

Often, in this scenario a sale to a unit trust or a part spousal sale may work if the asset is a good one.

More often though, you may have to sell the thing and start with IPs again once you have a PPOR, and use a structured borrowing approach then

ta
rolf

Yes he definitely wouldn't have asked any such questions :) He's done well to pay it down so quickly (benefits of FIFO work) but I suggested it would be worth considering keeping the loan at the same level interest only and addressing his other investing goals now. Perhaps saving money in offset for home deposit or starting a share portfolio. He's a bit straight down the line though that all debt is bad and property should be paid off as quick as possible and never be sold.

Interesting choice dating a banker ;) I guess his conservatism should balance out my gungho leverage everything to the hilt attitude.

Collectively we're high income and could afford to buy a house now but as I said too early to start mixing finances and making those kind of commitments. Just want to make sure he's not slowing himself down from reaching our end goal in the future (fully paid of PPOR). I'm going to fill in time by starting out with my first IP to be sole owned.

Back