please consider pets in your rentals

from todays paper, VIC stats only in he article below.

From SMH

Abandoned pets the downturn's collateral damageMark Russell
July 5, 2009 .

Jessica Steen, 19, had to give up one of her pet dogs. Photo: Craig Sillitoe
ANIMAL welfare groups have blamed the financial crisis for a dramatic rise in the number of pets being abandoned.

Thousands of dogs and cats have been dumped by owners who have lost their jobs or been forced to sell their homes and move to rental accommodation where pets are banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are Vics, all IP's Vic and tenants are more than welcome to (bring) their pets, I think last count it is half and half, half our tenants with pets, we are very animal/pet/breeding/training orientated people. Plus we do a bit of adopting/rehousing/nursing back to health.

One of the last properties I rented I asked 3 times over 4 years if I could get a dog. Even stating that I would repair the fences to make sure it wouldn't be able to get out and stating that it wouldn't be kept in the house.
My request was refused. After I moved out I had to go back to see if some mail had turned up. I was shocked to find out that the next tenants were allowed to have a dog and keep it in the house.

With my houses I allow pets and have about 50/50 take up on that.

Great suggestion, karina. We allow pets and have had almost 100% uptake.
Only issue we have ever had is a fox terrier chewing through one of the drip feed watering lines. Took $100 out of the bond so easily fixed.

I don't understand some people's issues with pets. We like to advertise "Pets Welcome" and I'm sure tenants don't see that very often.

I'm a pet friendly landlord, too. I find it a win-win as the tenant gets to keep their pet and they tend to stay long term as they have difficulty relocating.

I always allow pets, as long as the pet(s) are suitable for the property, and as long as the tenant appears to have reasonable references etc.

Over 50% of my tenants have had pets, and sometimes the only decent applicants have had pets. In my opinion a property should always be advertised "pets considered". If you say strictly no pets, then the tenant may either lie on their application, or they may just not apply. Surely it is better to have the choice of a tenant with a pet vs a vacant property, or vs another tenant with a dodgy rental history? If I had had a no pets policy, then on some occasions I would have had real trouble renting the property in the timeframes I required.

we had a nopets policy and the tenats decided to keep two HUGE alaskan malimous(?) - gignatic bloody things.

the backyard had vertical 1.5m h retaining walls when we leased it, and leaning retaining walls when we took back possession because their stupid mutts had dug UNDER the bluddy walls...grrrr...

as well as smashed the fence, trenched the yard and exposed tree roots allowing soil erosion.

nice.

horses for courses. a terrier we would have been fine with, but 2 husky things in a tiny, terraced yard?

A guy i work with tells me all the time how his dogs bark constantly.they dig up the yard and escape etc etc. Then two days ago he says he wants to move into town and would like to rent my place. The dogs are well behaved he said:confused: He appears to have a short memory. My property has a small yard and floor boards so dog NO, cat MAYBE. Depends on what kind of response i have had. In a pinch i would allow but this has not happened yet.

I always allow pets. Most of mine have some kind of animal. I am a big softie when it comes to animals, which is why we have 6 cats. We had to build a huge cattery attached to the house for them. Every single one of them are rescues too.

it really does depend on the property - big fenced yard in suburbia then i would be cool.

but seriously, 4 staffies in a 20sqm courtyard and all through the house? malimous digging up a terraced yard? 9 (that is NINE) cats in a 2 bed unit with a balcony?

sorry - i've had too many bad experiences. pets + unit/flat = NO.

We allow pets - our ads always say "pets negotiable."

Haven't had too many tenants take us up on it yet though, and when they have only small dogs. But hey, that's what bonds are for right? Everyone should be able to enjoy the companionship of an animal if they desire.

it really does depend on the property - big fenced yard in suburbia then i would be cool.

but seriously, 4 staffies in a 20sqm courtyard and all through the house? malimous digging up a terraced yard? 9 (that is NINE) cats in a 2 bed unit with a balcony?

sorry - i've had too many bad experiences. pets + unit/flat = NO.

True, common sense should apply, I guess we can't take for granted that all people have that!

9 (that is NINE) cats in a 2 bed unit with a balcony?
You have to be kidding. I thought my 6 was a lot and they are in their cattery most of the time during the day. Just imagining the amount of Kitty Litter. We go through heaps, and again, we only have 1/2 the problem because they are outside 1/2 the time. Yuck! Glad I don't have to clean that, but I am guessing that these tenants probably had more issues than the 9 cats.
True, common sense should apply, I guess we can't take for granted that all people have that!

So very, very true.

One of our tenants started the tenancy with 6 dogs. They were show dogs and kept in their own pens. This rose to 8-9 at one stage, however they were good tenants, kept the place in top condition and always paid on time.

I don't understand some people's issues with pets.

Because dogs stink! I had to repair a door in the garage on the weekend at one of my properties and the garage stunk!!! Could barely breath it was so bad. Gee I hope I can get the smell out when the tennants leaves.

We like to make sure pets suit property

We allow pets - PM ads say "pets negotiable."

IP No1 has an outside dog - and previous tenants had an inside dog. We did knock back tenants with 4 dogs as yard not big enough.

This house is 2 years old this October.

IP No 2 - "pets negotiable" as a duplex unit with a small yard and carpet in the lounge room + we were going through the process of strata'ing.

This unit is 2 months old.

We are firm believers in 'generally' pets are OK it is the owners we want to know about!!:p

Regards
Sheryn

At the moment we allow pets in one of ours but not the other. First house has great responsible tennants in there.
Second house - the tennants wrote to ask for permission for a dog - said they'd install a new side fence etc. However given their previous treatment of the house we don't think a) they'd install a decent fence, b) they'd actually take care of a dog or the yard. It's a group of first time renters who at this stage most likely won't get a good reference for next house, so I believe it would also be irresponsible as they would most likely have difficulty in finding another place that will allow them to have a pet.

I'm a pet friendly landlord, too. I find it a win-win as the tenant gets to keep their pet and they tend to stay long term as they have difficulty relocating.

Ive found the same Rob, and would happily allow all my tennants to have pets. they generally stay long term, very much a win win In my book.

Luvvit.

Never inside, if they want to live with their pets they can sleep in a kennel too.
It has the same smell as those who let them inside.

Back