Plumbing Question

The galvanised pipe from the main water meter has burst somewhere between the meter and the entry point at the rear of our house (approx 14 metres).
A plumber has quoted $1500 to repair.
Coincidentally, we are having a trench dug for electrical work, and have asked them to dig the trench for the new pipework while there.
This only reduced the plumbing quote by $200 :confused:
My husband feels he is quite capable of attaching the new pipe at both ends himself.
My question is:- does this work have to be done by a plumber or is it ok to do ourselves? We would be replacing the galvanised pipe with a plastic counterpart.
Opinions welcomed.

SA regulations require that the work be carried out by a licensed plumber. Presumably that means all those people buying pipes and connections down at Bunnings on the weekend are licensed plumbers or don't follow regulations.
Anyway get some more quotes if using a plumber. You migh find a cheaper operator will do it for less.

The galvanised pipe from the main water meter has burst somewhere between the meter and the entry point at the rear of our house (approx 14 metres).
A plumber has quoted $1500 to repair.
Coincidentally, we are having a trench dug for electrical work, and have asked them to dig the trench for the new pipework while there.
This only reduced the plumbing quote by $200 :confused:
My husband feels he is quite capable of attaching the new pipe at both ends himself.
My question is:- does this work have to be done by a plumber or is it ok to do ourselves? We would be replacing the galvanised pipe with a plastic counterpart.
Opinions welcomed.

Just had the same problem myself- $800 did it including gst and parts (copper replacement pipe was a few hundred). If you are digging the ditch get another plumber to come out with adequate pipe and get an hourly rate and call out fee. Do the donkey work yourself and fill in the ditch.

Exactly, in all states you require a licensed plumber to do the plumbing work. There is a risk of contamination of the water supply if an unlicensed person does the work.

Do the backbreaking stuff yourself ie dig the trench with a mattock, backfilling with crushed rock, warning/safety tape and sand.

Leave the real work to the pros. Get yourself another quote.

If you dig the trench yourself, buy the materials yourself, and do everything to specification (you have to have a certain amount of sand in the trench etc etc) you should be able to convince a plumber to come out, inspect the work (which includes a pressure test to make sure it's all okay) and sign the work off (ie make it legal) for a small fee.

This sort of thing is very common in the building world.

If you dig the trench yourself, buy the materials yourself, and do everything to specification (you have to have a certain amount of sand in the trench etc etc) you should be able to convince a plumber to come out, inspect the work (which includes a pressure test to make sure it's all okay) and sign the work off (ie make it legal) for a small fee.

This sort of thing is very common in the building world.
:eek:

Not where your licence is on the line to some Johnny come lately who you wouldn't know from Adam.

Paid R&M is tax deductible, why don't you just do a 'cashy' is you are going to avoid the legit?

:eek:

Not where your licence is on the line to some Johnny come lately who you wouldn't know from Adam.

Paid R&M is tax deductible, why don't you just do a 'cashy' is you are going to avoid the legit?

If you can inspect and test the work, the risk of something going wrong is low. After all, isn't that what happens when you get your 1st year plumbers apprentice to do some work on site? Same same. And as I said, very common.

Back