Point Cook Vs the East

Couple of points in favour of Rowville.

1) Sun glare is a real factor. Its part of the reason why traffic slows to a crawl over the westgate some days. You simply can't see when the sun is bright and directly in front of you low to the horizon.

2) There are no Uni's in the West. Vic Uni doesn't count, its a TAFE. From Rowville you can get to Monash Clayton pretty easily or to Deakin in Burwood.

3) Eastlink makes Rowville able to get North-South more easily than 5 years ago.

4) Hills. There are no hilly trees to go visit on the west-side. Don't even bother comparing the You Yangs to the Dandenongs.

In favour of Point Cook

1) Can commute to Geelong. Increasing number of jobs there.

2) Not so far to the surf coast beaches. I much prefer the beaches down the road from Geelong to those towards Gippsland.

3) Significantly more affordable. Comparing identical houses I'd guess Rowville is up to $200K more (650 vs 450).

4) More likely to get serious infrastructure. Its much easier to build new roads and rail given the amount of available space out west.

In terms of long-term growth I don't like the west side until you get lots of good paying white collar jobs moving out that direction. Having to commute to the CBD as your only option leaves you vulnerable to transport issues on the trains and freeway.

Yep...the odd blocks advertised for $235 (less than 400 sqm with narrow frontages - i.e. less than 13 meters wide)....probsbly pick them up for $220k

Otherwise you are paying from $260k up....Werribee blocks are looking like bargains....given they sell for less than $150k for some. I bought my house in Werribee for $130k in 2006!

i regretted not picking up the land for 175K would have been able to sell for 300K now. easy money no renovating .. just chillling out.

I probaly settle for a small parcel of 378sqm land in point cook for 230-250K.

Yep, especially because it is untrue. Didn’t know a Law/Commerce degree from Vic Uni is a TAFE qualification... oh well live and learn

Try to get an articles place at one of the prestige law firms with that degree.

Try to get a grad place at a big 4 accounting firm or an investment bank.

I'm exaggerating a bit. However my underlying point is that due to its lower prestige it isn't exactly a draw card.

I'm exaggerating a bit. However my underlying point is that due to its lower prestige it isn't exactly a draw card.

Are there no other places of employment out side the big 4, IBs and prestige law firms?

You’re exaggerating a lot. I don’t know why I’m defending Vic Uni, I didn’t even go there :p

The next boom will be in the east. When the markets pick up and corporate level activity resumes, the booms will be back in blue chip suburbs unless you think the bankers/hedge fund managers/lawyers are buying in Point Cook. The flow-on effet of these eastern booms will let outer eastern suburbs clip a free ride. Not to mention these places are undervalued relative to historical prices and suburbs trying to mimick them.

Are there no other places of employment out side the big 4, IBs and prestige law firms?

You’re exaggerating a lot. I don’t know why I’m defending Vic Uni, I didn’t even go there :p

Course there are jobs outside those places. Just pay differential. There's also jobs as a waiter at KFC, if you must. New migrants might not care about history, but it'd certainly be a consideration along with private infrastructure such as the private school belt, public infrastructure such as universities, key hospitals etc.

Course there are jobs outside those places. Just pay differential. There's also jobs as a waiter at KFC, if you must. New migrants might not care about history, but it'd certainly be a consideration along with private infrastructure such as the private school belt, public infrastructure such as universities, key hospitals etc.

I know that man. I was just pointing out Neophytes elitist views and logic. If you use the ‘never settle for anything less than the best’ logic good for you, just keep saving for the deposit on that Toorak house :rolleyes:

So much political correctness in this forum. It's a fact Vic Uni is underepresented at those firms that pay more. I've never actually come across any, not saying there's none though.

It must be a Melbourne thing......

Having worked for one of the Big 4....a large majority came from the University of Western Sydney.

Personally....to think the Big 4 are prestigious...is silly. Some of the people who work there have never seen outside of one....some of them make partner ansd offer advice without ever having worked in any Operational roles.

So much political correctness in this forum. It's a fact Vic Uni is underepresented at those firms that pay more. I've never actually come across any, not saying there's none though.

A good law student does not mean that he/she will be a good lawyer, the same apply to an accountant. The skills of a professional does not solely rely on the academic results. Managing time, managing work pressure, managing clients' expectation, prioritise work....... are just as important as academic results.

Just my 2 cents opinion.

It must be a Melbourne thing......

Having worked for one of the Big 4....a large majority came from the University of Western Sydney.

Personally....to think the Big 4 are prestigious...is silly. Some of the people who work there have never seen outside of one....some of them make partner ansd offer advice without ever having worked in any Operational roles.

Well just talking about pay differential that's all. I never actually said big 4 and when I was still a student looking for grad roles, didn't even bother to open their site because of low pay at graduate levels. To be honest I don't think many people in the corporate world think a junior role at big 4 is prestigious. By the way we are talking about the accounting firms yea, not the banks?

Camry what you said is true. Don't really intend to get into a topic of good uni vs bad uni or good marks vs poor marks as this topic has been debated to the death for me. But suffice to say, having a good uni + good marks is always better than having a bad one yea...?

A good law student does not mean that he/she will be a good lawyer, the same apply to an accountant. The skills of a professional does not solely rely on the academic results. Managing time, managing work pressure, managing clients' expectation, prioritise work....... are just as important as academic results.

Just my 2 cents opinion.

I'll try to articulate my point.

Being good at a job is irrelevant. Getting an interview at a good workplace (good pay and conditions) is often the hardest step. Uni grads get judged very quickly (few minutes at most) by what is written on their CV. There is still a stigma (probably unfair) about the non-elite universities is some fields. These sort of perceptions take a generation to change.

Vic Uni isn't at this point in time is not a highly valued brand name in the way that the Big8 are.

As soon as you have a real post-uni job where you went and what your degree was becomes less important pretty fast, but getting in the door in the first place can be very tough.

Back