Polished Concrete vs Timber Floorboards

Hello Guys,

Planning a unit development in a trendy part of North Perth, and having trouble deciding between Polished Concrete and Timber Floors.

The project is a long term hold and targeting professional singles and couples as tenets.

Timber seems safer but concrete is all the rage at the moment!

Advice please??

I wouldn't want to live in a place that has polished concrete, would you?
It's probably cheaper, but I'd go with the floorboards if the price difference isn't that much.

I wouldn't want to live in a place that has polished concrete, would you?
It's probably cheaper, but I'd go with the floorboards if the price difference isn't that much.

I like the look and with underfloor heating it could be cheaper heating alternative than reverse cycle aircon units. I do get you point that its not everyone's 'cup-of-tea'

Reverse cycle air conditions are 3 (or so) times more efficient than electrically heated underfloor heating.
Plus, I don't think you can cool with it, so you'd still need a regular air conditioner anyway.

Would it still be cheaper than floorboards with underfloor heating?

timber floorboards all the way concrete is only a fad pfft, its kinda like wallpaper featurewalls thats in the same boat as polished concrete.

timber floorboards are like weatherboard houses they never date there always cool to have and everyone wants them.

timber floorboards all the way concrete is only a fad pfft, its kinda like wallpaper featurewalls thats in the same boat as polished concrete.

timber floorboards are like weatherboard houses they never date there always cool to have and everyone wants them.

So how about for a $2m+ house? Polished concrete, timber floorboards or tiles?

Starting to agree with the fad thing, been quoted $70 a sqm for top of the range grind and sealing. Does seem attractive at that price

Depends if we are talking timber laminate or real timber.
I have only used the laminate in one house and it was mid range quality. Sealed supposedly moisture resistant.
Despite a note in the lease and inside the pantry door as well I have had tenants using mops on it. Now has a lot of gaps at all the joints.

Bit harder for a kid to drill holes in a concrete floor as well.

Next time I am going tiles despite the higher cost.

Excuse my ignorance, what is the proper way to look after a laminate floor?

Also, I'm about to build an extension which will be a slab floor and I was hoping to get some tiles from a factory outlet for about $10-20 a sq metre. I'm planning to lay them throughout and just use rugs for warmth.

using a swiffa with electrostatic pads and damp swiffa pads. with mops water gets underneath and lifts the floors....

Hi there, I'm in the demographic you mention and I'd like polished concrete in the living areas. I love the minimalist style but its a hard one to pull off. I don't believe this style is a fad but a classic.

Polished concrete floors could come across cold and sterile so if I was going to live there, I would warm it up with beautiful rugs, a fabric lounge, lamps, cushions and throws and some very large warm paintings on the walls (a David Bromley would be perfect).

It's hard isn't it as people have such different tastes. But I'd probably go with the majority as you are trying to make money so you don't want to limit your market.

Good luck with your project.

Angel

Last edited:
In our downstairs downstairs (deliberately done twice) living area I'd love to continue the outside tiles into the house, but the floor, being half timber and half concrete in odd configurations, won't do ... so putting down a new floating timber floor on top.

I want to also put in underfloor heating - which, if you get the style that is suited to Australian conditions, is not expensive to run. It's a type of pad that sits under the timber (or tiles or carpet) - not sealed into cement or anything - and works like a quick release heat pad. So you only turn it on for the period required, let the floor warm quickly, then turn it off again.

Personally - next house, that I am determined we'll build, I want a polished concrete floor ... but not cement coloured. I want to get a light grey/white floor with minute amounts of ground coloured glass scattered thru it.

Last edited:
concrete won't suit everyone and and would have a very metal workshop feel to it

if in queensland or hot weather climates - go tiles

ppl in melbourne normally go for carpet of floorboards (laminates or timber)

go timber if you're in an upmarket area or if you prefer timber (like russian oak, tasmanian oak etc) they give a warm feel.

laminates works best for rentals and some give a good result.

again everyone to his own.

The project is a long term hold...

This is the clincher for me. If it is a really on-trend area I may go concrete if selling - but if you're holding you want something "safer" (read: appeals to the majority over the long term). I'd put in timber if you can.

I recently went into a new home by the beach with a polished cememt floor and all l can say is WOW. It looked fntastic. Each room was easily changed with a rug or a big splash of colour. Didnt really notice the floor was concrete until l stood still in the kitchen. The bathrooms were tiled though.
When l get to build beach side l will definatley go for the polished concrete floor.
Lets face it if a buyer doesnt like it they can simple cover it with their choice of coverings. They wont have to remove/ rip out anything either.
cheers

Back