Political discussions suck!

There are several threads currently running on Somersoft about the upcoming election. I am no longer going to look at any of them.

Why? I'm all for discussing the state of our country, and who may be best to run it. I'm all for people having opinions and expressing them freely.
This is a democracy. People can vote for whoever they like, for myriad reasons.

What I do object to is the constant name calling and insults!

To call someone 'stupid' or 'uneducated' or that they will 'get what they deserve' is not on, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like it and I refuse to be a part of the nastiness.

Lily

Hi Lily,

I understand exactly what you are saying.

I started one of those threads with the hope of a discussion on who would win and why, not who people wanted to win.

Yet the discussion in that thread has many who cannot separate their feelings from objectivity.

bye

To call someone 'stupid' or 'uneducated' or that they will 'get what they deserve' is not on, as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously you've never watched question time in Parliament.

:)

lily, good on you rise above it. My crystal ball tells me that this cat fight will continue until Saturday & will be dead in the water by Sunday. If thats any help ;)

Lily House:

People............................are interesting Lily. When opinions may differ or frustration levels rise people can react in many ways, some by making fair game out of the person/party/which ever collective group or individual.

Sometimes when you hear kids disagreeing; it can lead to the "your stupid-silly-ugly-fat-skinny-short-tall"....gotchya!!

I guess Lily, some people, (including politicians)... resort to immaturity reactionary stuff, instead of saying "Bob or Penny introduced workplace laws, I consider them unfair to a good number of the workforce, and I would like to see them reviewed/abolished."---..and then actually doing something about it.....(meet Ms Lobbyist-Madam-Lash-Pamela:) )

They get into the mechanism they have used, maybe through sheer ignorance, you hurt me, my family, do or say something I don't particularly like or agree with you are therefore a mongrel, your cat is ugly, you dress stupid, your hair is crazy! Blah!! I guess they feel better letting that off??

....and it's totally ineffective!!

Thing is, it is quite inarticulate, way off beam and says far far more *about them* then it actually does trying to make a point on the discussion/topic they disagree with.

So, I am a person that kinda noticed through life the dummy spitters, name callers, notso nice reactionary stuff and wondered why?

To me, Lily; (and I may be a little off target), it's just what I've figured out, they lack a bit of skill in expressing or staying on point, they might be types that react angrily to the world about heaps of stuff....immature, or think they might be going to get a bite or rise out of someone...

I personally don't think the name calling, or whatever the behaviour is effective for them, I believe it portrays themselves in a bad light...and that's about it.

For you Lily, and please understand I agree with you! on this thread...but also understand they are not bad people, just people with differing opinions and limited ability or desire to express in a meaningful way.

How'd I go? :p

Hang in there mate.

Thanks for the replies,

Our Obsession - I agree, perhaps the people who resort to the name calling, do it from an inability to express their opinion constructively. But I still don't like it. If I don't look at the posts, I can't let it upset me.

Bill and EquityMate: Thanks for your comments.:)

Mark B: LOL. No parliment question time for me thanks.:D

ianvestor: Is a thread about disliking the tone of political discussions in other threads, actually a thread about political discussions? :confused::D My head hurts....

bailz66: Yeah! A political opinion without name calling.

It would be nice to think it will all be over by Sunday. But will it? Time to analyse the results then -which is okay. Just with basic manners please, pretty please.

Happy voting everyone.
:)
Lily

I just wish the various parties would stop slagging each other and spend more time sending clear messages of their vision of the future.

Don't tell me why I shouldn't vote for the other guy, tell me why I should vote for you!

Back