pool maintenace

I've never had a pool before so just enquired re pool maintenance for a rental. We got a quote of $45 for balancing chems and check equip or $60 for all of that plus vacuum pool. They can either do it fortnighly or monthly.

I haven't got a clue, is monthly frequently enough to do the above? The property is around Wodonga, Vic. We plan to move into the property next year otherwise wouldn't have bothered with the pool.

Last edited:
I've never had a pool before so just enquired re pool maintenace of a rental. We got a quote of $45 for balancing chems and check equip or $60 for all of that plus vacuum pool. They can either do it fortnighly or monthly.

I haven't got a clue, is monthly frequently enough to do the above? The property is around Albury, Vic. We plan to move into the property next year otherwise wouldn't have bothered with the pool.
Fresh or salt water?

This pool cleaning could be a lucrative business esp in summer. I could do it for $50 a clean ($70 in tight speedos :)

This pool cleaning could be a lucrative business esp in summer. I could do it for $50 a clean ($70 in tight speedos :)

How much for a thong?

The OP prices seem cheap. The going rate is around $60+ for testing and cleaning of the skimmer boxes and backwash as necessary. No vac.

I've always thought it's a lucrative business - especially in the north where a lot more people have pools.

A service generally takes no more than 15 mins. Unlike a plumber/sparky (where they might have to travel longer between jobs) you could plan your work to minimise travel between jobs as it's mostly maintenance not urgent repairs. You get to make some cash out of the chems you supply as well. Then every 5-10 yrs for every customer, you get to make juicy cash out of replacing the filter, chlorinator, vac and pump.

The big barrier to a new entrant would be customer loyalty to their existing pool service. Potentially your best clients, units (where there's no choice but to get a pool service - and require more regular servicing), would be even harder to get. That could be somewhat overcome by marketing to houses that have just been sold/rented. With online re listings and google earth it wouldn't be hard to aggressively market to this segment.

When my current business fails I'll consider setting up a pool servicing business, then franchise it. I just need a catchy name? Pool face?

How much for a thong?

The OP prices seem cheap. The going rate is around $60+ for testing and cleaning of the skimmer boxes and backwash as necessary. No vac.

I've always thought it's a lucrative business - especially in the north where a lot more people have pools.

A service generally takes no more than 15 mins. Unlike a plumber/sparky (where they might have to travel longer between jobs) you could plan your work to minimise travel between jobs as it's mostly maintenance not urgent repairs. You get to make some cash out of the chems you supply as well. Then every 5-10 yrs for every customer, you get to make juicy cash out of replacing the filter, chlorinator, vac and pump.

The big barrier to a new entrant would be customer loyalty to their existing pool service. Potentially your best clients, units (where there's no choice but to get a pool service - and require more regular servicing), would be even harder to get. That could be somewhat overcome by marketing to houses that have just been sold/rented. With online re listings and google earth it wouldn't be hard to aggressively market to this segment.

When my current business fails I'll consider setting up a pool servicing business, then franchise it. I just need a catchy name? Pool face?

Thanks for that info. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being taken to the cleaners :p

Back