Poor TV Reception ($800 to repair??)..help

Hi Guys,

Can you pls provide some assistance/guidance on this issue....After 9 months in tenancy tenants raised poor TV reception issue at IP. PM suggested it might be to
do with high winds we had.

PM got a guy at the property and they've come with a quote in total of abt $800....I am not happy about this as it looks very expensive.

This is what they have advised what needs to be done...

Existing antenna in poor condition and not receiving a satisfactory digital signal therefore it is recommended that it is replaced
with and Alcad Log Periodic HDTV compatible antenna. ($190.00)
The existing mast is 3 meters high and has a lot of movement in it, it needs to be replaced.It is recommended that the new antenna is mounted on a 3 metre guided
mast and is fix down to 3 anchor points.It is necessary that the antenna is elevated due to nearby building obscuring the signal and it is a very poor signal area
anyway.($350.00)
The antenna needs to be amplified with a Kingray 24db amplifier with power supply due to very poor signal strength area. ($240.00)

Can someone pls advise
1) is it LL's responsibility to handle this sort of request in VIC
2) not sure why it was detected late in tenancy term...
3) if I need to pay for this...does the above quote sounds right....

Note: Property is within 10 km of Melb CBD and reception is poor but still exists.....

Cheers

Definitely not the tenant who will be paying....

Get a second opinion if you think it is high.....Jim's antenna in Brighton is ok...i've used them before

It is the landlord's responsibility.

No matter how close to a major city, there are always "black spots" where reception is poor and a higher powered antenna may be required.
Marg

Don't be surprised if you have to replace your coax as well if they haven't included this.

unshielded cable will lead to the loss of signal quality.

you may also need to upgrade because the analogue signal has been switched off. or the gremlins have stolen the electrons. ;)

We moved to a rental with no coaxial cable in the main lounge room and LL wouldn't put one in. We had foxtel installed on the basic package so we got free to air channels.

Ask the tenant if they'd go halves with u on the basic pack. Even if they refuse you'll still be up after 6 months with the freebies foxtel is currently offering

No, the aerial is part of the property and the landlord's responsibility. Otherwise the tenant would be entitled to take it with them when they leave.
Marg

Certainly if it was rented with an aerial.

But what if it was rented with an analogue aerial? Is it then the tenants responsibility to get a digital one if they want it? (wouldn't like to argue this at tribunal!)

If I was a tenant and couldn't get TV reception anymore I wouldn't be happy.

Even if you legally didn't have to provide it you probably should do. Once the tenant moves out you will have to get new tenants and many would be put off from renting if they couldn't get tv reception.

I am really tight and happily deny a lot of silly maintenance and upgrade requests but I think this one is reasonable.

As far as cost goes, it seems about right.

Thanks Guys for the response. I am just curious why all of sudden this started happening.....

I am in all favour of correcting this to make sure tenant has best place to live with decent TV reception. I am not sure if the amount quoted is right though. what do you guys think....or can you provide any antenna guys references....for around MEL CBD

Any of you have idea on below jobs and what they are and cost provided is decent....

Existing antenna in poor condition and not receiving a satisfactory digital signal therefore it is recommended that it is replaced with and Alcad Log Periodic HDTV compatible antenna. ($190.00)
The existing mast is 3 meters high and has a lot of movement in it, it needs to be replaced.It is recommended that the new antenna is mounted on a 3 metre guided mast and is fix down to 3 anchor points.It is necessary that the antenna is elevated due to nearby building obscuring the signal and it is a very poor signal area anyway.($350.00)
The antenna needs to be amplified with a Kingray 24db amplifier with power supply due to very poor signal strength area. ($240.00)

Also, this is part of BC....but i guess maintaining aerials are owners responsibility....

What kind of building is it? If it's an apartment block, the aerial may be shared so it very well might be a BC issue.

The timing of this seems to point to the cutover to digital, is their TV compatible with digital? Guess the antenna guy would have checked that, but doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Last edited:
It's villa block.....I might check if the antennas are shared or not.....worth checking digital TV or not....thanks for that....

It's villa block.....I might check if the antennas are shared or not.....worth checking digital TV or not....thanks for that....

If it's not shared, and your neighbour's antenna works fine, ask them if they are willing to share. Will cost about $50 for a splitter and cable.

OK... don't quote me here (and check this out for yourself).... but....

It may be cheaper to get Foxtel installed on a cheap 6 month offer, then let the service elapse and continue to get regular TV channels through the Foxtel hardwired cable connection.

I have heard this in theory only - please do your own research.

OK... don't quote me here (and check this out for yourself).... but....

It may be cheaper to get Foxtel installed on a cheap 6 month offer, then let the service elapse and continue to get regular TV channels through the Foxtel hardwired cable connection.

I have heard this in theory only - please do your own research.

Doubt this would work. We have Foxtel and all channels come through the Foxtel box. (For example, Channel 9 is channel 100 on Foxtel.) Remove the box and nothing works.

We then rely on our own antennae to get free to air channels tuned in direct to the TV.
Marg

Doubt this would work. We have Foxtel and all channels come through the Foxtel box. (For example, Channel 9 is channel 100 on Foxtel.) Remove the box and nothing works.

Can you either

a) keep the box after the service expires?
b) plug the cable into your TV and press auto-tune to get the regular channels?

Why not get a second quote first than go through all the above fuss?

I had a quote come in at close to $400, second company $210. Same installation.

We then rely on our own antennae to get free to air channels tuned in direct to the TV.
Marg

I had foxtel antenna already installed when i moved into my unit.
Used the aerial for free to air without a prob.

Cheers Spades.

Why not get a second quote first than go through all the above fuss?

I had a quote come in at close to $400, second company $210. Same installation.

Thanks Lil Skater....that is what I am planning to do...Not sure about the jobs listed my existing and d i require all of them.....

As you in PM business any recommendation for Antenna guys....

thanks

Back