portfolio forecaster

Hi All
Last week I posted a spreadsheet to help folks forecast their property portfolio growth under different scenarios.
It was rather complex and had a couple of design faults.
The attached updated version is a lot more user friendly.
The idea is to enter your own details into the yellow boxes and then experiment with a percentage of your available equity to see what your new position would look like at the other end. After entering your portfolio details it is a good idea to look at the end result without any growth % added. Then you will see a clearer financial picture. Then you can have some fun by adding whatever growth you expect to achieve. I am happy to answer any questions.

Enjoy
Simon

Attachments

• portfolio forecast2.xls
    28 KB · Views: 319
I just want to add , that for years now I have been trying to find a satisfactory way of working out future growth scenarios. Although PIA software is an excellent product(especially for Neg gearing strategies) I needed more flexability than the program seemed to offer me (at the time I was using it. There may be new developments that I am not aware of :) ) in regard to growth scenarios.
My spreadsheet dose not include any tax strategies and does not take into account any servicability of the future borrowings. It primarily lays out financial projections and so it is up to the reader to rationalise and personalise the results it produces. It is a basic "what goes in and what goes out" type of analysis but is also flexible enough to allow for all soughts of structures.
I did not develop this with the intention of selling it. It is free to whoever wants to peep inside the mind of a succesful property investor.
It is simple but incredibly flexable.
Kind regards
Simon

simonjulie said:
:confused: OK Guys
I had over 80 veiws of the spreadsheet and no feed back on this thread. :confused:
Simon
The problem with 'someone elses' spreadsheet is that I would have to read, understand & check every formula to make sure your assumptions & mine are the same. So it's a lot easier for me to write my own spreadsheet.

I'm was a s/w engineer, so I don't trust anyone elses code anyway:)

KJ

Hi KJ
Thankyou for your feedback and I would agree with you.
However, it is not so much how technically correct the spresdsheet is but how creative it can be for the user :)
Kind regards
Simon

Hiya Simon...

Cheers for the spreadsheet. Looks very handy and quite thought provoking. I'll have to wait until after work to give it a good try-out though. Just a quick question (might be a bit dimwitted). What is the time frame for the spreadsheet? Looks like 1 yr....correct? Is there any way of giving a further projection?

ArJay :)

Me again....

Got home and answered my own (dimwitted) questions about the spreadsheet. Thanks again Simon... a great little tool and great fun to boot!!! I'll keep playing with it and see if I can't come up with some more intelligent questions :rolleyes:

ArJay:)

Sultan of Swing said:
I've played around with it Simon but I'm not to bright and can't get it to relate to my current scenerio.

Hi SOS
I would be happy to step you through it.
Just enter the details required into the yellow fields only.
The program does a lot of the calcs for you. the important thing to remember is that some of the manual calcs are added as a % of your asset base rather than a number :)
Kind regards
Simon

Hi ArJay
thanks for your feed back. You will find after using this spreadsheet for a while just how flexible and creative you can become with your future investing strategies :)
Kind regards
Simon

Simon,
This is an excellent worksheet.Thanks for sharing it with the forum.I will
play around with it in more detail tonight
Denis

Thanks again Simon, It has become part of my collection. I like it because of its simplicity. I like the way it looks at a total portfolio. :D

MJK :)

Hi All
I have also developed this program into a five year reality forcaster which I will add to the thread later today. It will help the user to see a more realistic view of future investment scenarios because it involves an overall veiw of ones finances rather than a generic structure designed purely to support itself.
Kind regards
Simon

Hi Simon
great spreadsheet. it does quite a few things that i like.
i wanted to build my own that would do something similar to yours (eg. using LVR's and post reno values), but just never seemed to get around to doing it.

a question for you.....
cells E24 and E28 (employed funds), what are they used for, and what do the mean?

cheers
Ryan

Rystar said:
a question for you.....
cells E24 and E28 (employed funds), what are they used for, and what do the mean?

cheers
Ryan

E24 is the funds that are taken from the LOC(B20) for deposit in this case
E 28 is what is left over for future fundings or renos(these funds are then transfered as real equity D 62
Cheers
Simon

Thanks again Simon.....

This is brilliant!!! I could play with it for hours!!!

Just a quick question. There is nowhere to input the projected growth of the asset base at the starting point. I am trying to get my head around it but am struggling. Is the starting point the first 12 months? Just wondering....

Thanks again and muchly appreciated.

ArJay said:
Thanks again Simon.....

This is brilliant!!! I could play with it for hours!!!

Just a quick question. There is nowhere to input the projected growth of the asset base at the starting point. I am trying to get my head around it but am struggling. Is the starting point the first 12 months? Just wondering....

Thanks again and muchly appreciated.
I did not allow for growth until the second position sheet B55(should be labled achieved growth. I will edit the sheet, sorry) because it won't become relevant until the time factor kicks in.
Simon

Hi Simon

Well done, great spreadsheet. Just a couple of observations/sugestions.
First thing I did was to unlock all of the yellow coloured boxes and then protected the sheet so I couldn't accidentally mess up the formulas. Secondly, cell D10 makes an assumption of 80% LVR. In my porfolio of property I have some rural land that the bank will only allow 60% and some tourism property that they will only allow 50%. Maybe another yellow box could be added to allow for a user input %, so the formula for cell D10 altered to allow for this.
The spread sheet is great to play with. Thanks for your time and input.

Regards James

Back