Positively geared property in Perth?

It's a written appraisal from the local agent. Similar property to what I am building has just rented in Alkimos (coastal side of Marmion) for $430.00.

We dropped into Trinity Alkimos last weekend and then ventured further down to..Alkimos?

Looong way to go down the road, even if you were FIFO it would be a PITA to go to the airport and back, maybe even quicker to drive to Geraldton ;)

According to some property reports online and in the West papers, some property 'experts' are predicting growth in Midland. There's some houses with 600sqm+ blocks going for 290-330k which would rent for $350. After driving around midland and then going up around clarkson and kinross, the clarkson area just appears to be so much more livable.

Would I be better off spending 300k in Midland or 350k in Clarkson for a similar sized block (clarkson house would be newer too)? Rent appraisals would be $350 and $400 respectively. Which do you see as a better investment?

There is a proposed stop for btwn Clarkson & Butler at Lukin Drive. Some people say this isn't going ahead but the land has been reserved & bought by Gvt for the 'park and ride' carpark at Lukin.

I'm pretty sure that one has been completely scrapped, but please refer to my signature below.

Hi guys.

I see ya'll talking bout properties round the Butler/Clarkson area. Just fyi, the rents here can be as good as what's being talked about. I bought a new place for just over $310k (turn key) and its renting for close to $400 p/w. Mine is in area of Ridgewood which is smack bang btwn Clarkson and Butler - good cos it's about 4 km to Clarkson stn & will be closer than that to the new Butler one.

This is relevant to my interests.

Whereabouts in Ridgewood? Block size? Age (are you talking brand new)? I thought Ridgewood was a fair bit dearer than that.

Pretty sure there are blocks for sale for almost $300k in Ridgewood.

We dropped into Trinity Alkimos last weekend and then ventured further down to..Alkimos?

Looong way to go down the road, even if you were FIFO it would be a PITA to go to the airport and back, maybe even quicker to drive to Geraldton ;)

It's funny how people in Perth think 45km from the city is a long way. In most large cities in the world it is well within the commuter belt especially when you are a 5 minute drive to a train that takes less than 40 minutes to get to the city.
Now I know that the area is closer to Geraldton I will have to keep an eye on the port expansion there. May be able to tap in to some of the expected CG when this happens.LOL.

Whereabouts in Ridgewood? Block size? Age (are you talking brand new)? I thought Ridgewood was a fair bit dearer than that.

The 310k turn key properties are on about 300 square metres of land. Brand new.

300k would be very expensive for a block in Ridgewood. It would have to be huge. Ridgewood generally has lower prices than Butler but higher than Merriwa.

Just had a quick browse and I see what you are saying about block size, theres one at about 380sq.m for $179k.

I guess last time I looked at blocks in Ridgewood I was leaning towards the bigger ones (now mostly about $250k+ for about 600sq.m)

Hello Jake.
Hope this quoting thing works... first time for me doing it! Anyway, my place is northern part of ridgewood, it's a few streets south of Lukin Ave. It's a small block i think about 350sqm as someone mentioned. Yes it's brand new with all fittings eg lights, garage door, gardens, dishwasher/oven/etc.

There aren't many "big" (600sqm+) blocks in ridgewood afaik, most would be developed by now, and houses in this area - actually I should say Blocks - tend to be smaller (with decent sized homes - just courtyards).

If you want a 600sqm block with house Merriwa is close by - and closer to the beach. However the houses would be 10~ years old. It depends if you want a new, no maintenance house on small block, or older house on a block which has amenity (but usually no subdivision potential).

It's funny how people in Perth think 45km from the city is a long way. In most large cities in the world it is well within the commuter belt especially when you are a 5 minute drive to a train that takes less than 40 minutes to get to the city.
Now I know that the area is closer to Geraldton I will have to keep an eye on the port expansion there. May be able to tap in to some of the expected CG when this happens.LOL.

lol i agree, most perth ppl either drive in peak hour and therefore think anywhere takes a long time, or just aren't used to some of the bigger cities. in peak hour it used to take me 35 mins to drive from mt lawley to st georges tce - and thats about 15 mins different than train from clarkson to perth, with no parking costs!!!

more important than proximity to city IMO is proximity to:
public transport
beach
big shops (w/ cinemas)
medical centre and hospital

lol i agree, most perth ppl either drive in peak hour and therefore think anywhere takes a long time, or just aren't used to some of the bigger cities. in peak hour it used to take me 35 mins to drive from mt lawley to st georges tce - and thats about 15 mins different than train from clarkson to perth, with no parking costs!!!

more important than proximity to city IMO is proximity to:
public transport
beach
big shops (w/ cinemas)
medical centre and hospital

You missed a key item from your list.

It's all about affordability really. At the end of the day if people could afford to live further south, they would. There is certainly no compelling reasons to live that far out if you don't have to. Conversely there are plenty of reasons not to live that far out if you don't have to.

Unfortunately wherever you are in Perth, you're never far away from the white-bred middle-class utopia that is a "Big shops"

You missed a key item from your list.

It's all about affordability really. At the end of the day if people could afford to live further south, they would. There is certainly no compelling reasons to live that far out if you don't have to. Conversely there are plenty of reasons not to live that far out if you don't have to.

Really, I can afford to live further towards the city, but choose not to. I go to the city about twice a year so have no desire to live closer to it. I think lot's of people live 40km from the city near the coast for lifestlye reasons.

Perth was always centralised around the city and surrounding areas in the way of entertainment ie pubs, clubs, coffee shops, resturaunts etc. However in the last 15 years this has changed significantly and along with it hte need and or desire to stay close to the city. Look at the level of medium and high density living in Perth compared to other cities, I know we have less popualtion but still I think the stats would point to Perth having a greater urban sprawl than others.

I work in the city and i work long hours and I am more than happy to get on a train out of there.

I agree with the other posts that proximity to the city is not always a high value must have on peoples list.

Perth was always centralised around the city and surrounding areas in the way of entertainment ie pubs, clubs, coffee shops, resturaunts etc. However in the last 15 years this has changed significantly and along with it hte need and or desire to stay close to the city. Look at the level of medium and high density living in Perth compared to other cities, I know we have less popualtion but still I think the stats would point to Perth having a greater urban sprawl than others.

I work in the city and i work long hours and I am more than happy to get on a train out of there.

I agree with the other posts that proximity to the city is not always a high value must have on peoples list.

i think youve got it quite wrong there

perth decentralised a long time ago. it is only recently that there has been a resurgance in the inner suburbs with now one also finally starting (tecnhically started a few yrs ago) in the city. your examples of entertainment are perfect examples of why i couldnt live in say clarkson or baldivis but also agree re horses for courses and all that.

personally i could think of nothing worse than living 50 mins out of town in the middle of absolutely nowhere with nothing interesting around, especially because my friends and family are all over perth. it would be also hard for me to indulge in some of my passions and id be bored sh itless

By decentralised I mean to the likes of Joondalup and further actaully becoming viable to suit entertainment needs, also I can only speak for the north.

Horses for courses as you mentioned and I still think most Perth people are still focues on a 4x2 with a backyard, i swear it is breed into them.

THe lack of interest in Perth city itself has a lot to do with what is availanle in the city outside of business hours, which is slowing chaning thank god.

I wouldnt live 50 mins out of town either but 30mins iam happy with but my family friends are close so suits me fine, if they all lived in burns beach or baldivus then i could quite possibly be happy there too.

Really, I can afford to live further towards the city, but choose not to. I go to the city about twice a year so have no desire to live closer to it. I think lot's of people live 40km from the city near the coast for lifestlye reasons.

I don't really understand what lifestyle you're talking about, if it's just the beach you're talking about then you don't need to go 50km out of town to achieve that, especially if affordability is not a limiting factor.

I don't really understand what lifestyle you're talking about, if it's just the beach you're talking about then you don't need to go 50km out of town to achieve that, especially if affordability is not a limiting factor.
Having a family it just feels more relaxed and you can have a great lifestyle without a huge mortgage to go with it. This also reduces stress. I think it is a case of where you are at and what you are looking for in life. I would rather have a BBQ with neighbours and friends on a Saturday night than go to a restaurant or a pub........so why do I need to live closer to the city I have everything I need where I am.

Hi all,

James I was also doing some research around that area but being in Sydney didn't have the opportunity to go for a drive yet. Why would you choose Clarkson over Midland? why did you mention you found it more liveable?

Any idea how bad is commuting from Midland to Perth CBD?

Cheers

Two recent deals I've done for clients:

I purchased for a Perth client a 6/3 property for $520,000. The area is not brand new, has steadily growing demand and is tightly held. After $10k of conversion costs, the property is leased out as a granny flat for $300p.w. and the house (still to be leased as some renovations are being completed) for an estimated $500p.w. That's a gross yield after improvement costs of 7.85%.

I purchased for a Melbourne client an inner city villa with 3beds and 1bath within 7km of the CBD for a very respectable $360,000. As he was interstate, I organized 2 renovations companies to quote on a full cosmetic refurbishment. He chose the company with a $25k quote. The renovation is about a week away from completion, but the estimated rent is around $450p.w. That's a gross yield after improvement costs 6.08%.

The deals are out there you just have to be looking!

Back