Possible to buy CIP under $1M

MTR,

May be it is worthwhile to buy Freedhold Motel and/or Pub.

it provides an additional security in terms of rent and vacancy. if leasehold goes belly up,you can put manager in, run it for while and sell leasehold and get good money for re-selling business. (Not Building)

Generally lease terms for such business are 5 years +

Hi mflying
But I see this as high risk cos I know nothing whatsoever about this type of business, even with a manager in place I still believe it would be high risk for me.

Cheers, MTR

We bought a pig dog ugly trucking yard back in 2005 for <a certain amount>. It had a litany of non-paying Tenants and an 8' high back wall that we couldn't see for all of the rubbish strewn everywhere, accumulated over the previous 15 years from absolutely filthy owners.

We cleaned up 83 tonnes worth of rubbish off the block and spent the next 12 months kicking off every single one of the leeches who had been there. They collectively smashed the wall with forklifts, tried to burn the place down and left a further couple of truck loads of cr@p everywhere, then tried to get the police involved. The last guy was dealing narcotics on there, as well as stealing boats and caravans and using the sheds to make them over under the cover of darkness.

The police and detectives were watching him under surveillance in the carpark across the way. I had to go into the Police station and give a statement essentially saying I wasn't involved in the activities and would co-operate in any way. My Tenant found out and threatened to bomb my family and my home. I reported that as well, and had to spend 4 hours in a Police station, missing out on my birthday party to attend. The wrap sheet of this guy went to 4 pages. He eventually went to prison and is still there for bashing an 82 year old woman.

It took a while to regain control of the property we had purchased. It had big land.....that was it.

After 4 Tenants, one of which went bankrupt, it has proved OK.

It now rents for <a certain amount>K p.a. The outgoings are a further <a certain amount>K p.a. which the Tenants pay for.

We are just in the final throws of signing up a new Tenant on a 5+5+5 Ground Lease on our new super modified Lease, where we are only leasing the dirt, not the buildings or the infrastructure underneath. We are responsible for nothing.....they are responsible for everything.

Hopefully we don't hear or see the property until mid-2028.

It was recently valued at <a certain amount> as a vacant block. It has quadrupled in value in 8 years.

We've used that title deed as a deposit on a much larger shed. Leverage is a wonderful thing.

These types of property free you and your family from the drudgery of paid work forever. They are ugly & smelly.

I like them, so do the valuers, so does the Bank.

Hi Dazz
I have heard this before, great stuff.

My only regret is that I did not jump into these properties earlier when I had the opportunity, mix it with resi.

What would make it even sweeter if that is possible.... is develop the land down the track, like winning lotto all over again

Hi mflying
But I see this as high risk cos I know nothing whatsoever about this type of business, even with a manager in place I still believe it would be high risk for me.

Cheers, MTR

The bar/pub could bankrupt you before you know it.

I know some guys who do this well - and we've definitely used variations of this model - but you really need some lined up deep pockets, especially if you're a business rookie.

Can you buy a CIP under $1M. Obviously the answer is yes. The next question is how good an investment will it turn out to be. I manage quite a deal of CIP for a wide variety of landlords. Some have had their choice confirmed as good ones, others not quite so good. When I look at our RESI landlords, I can probably make the same comment.

It all starts with where you are when you start. It’s obviously easier to start with RESI, with loans available with higher LVR's than CIP. The other issue is that usually, its shorter vacancy between tenants in RESI than CIP.

I think the age old question is still there. Do we go for return or capital growth? Return you can be closer to be certain of (depending of non-default by tenant) however capital growth when it kicks in can be a real accelerator. So when we start, maybe a combination of both.

When you get some serious assets together, then choices are available.

I believe Dazz has of late had the benefit of combining with family. I am sure others have done that and found that when family and money come together it has not worked. When it does work, I do believe that can be another accelerator.

Recently I have been receiving emails with syndicates available. For a fixed sum, you own a portion of a property and the syndicate has a preplan to sell with in a certain period. The returns to my surprise are usually above 10%. I have no experience with them so mention them with caution.

Dazz, I was blown away reading that story. It was ballsy to take it on, however being so personally exposed no doubt was troubling. The worst I have experienced, was arriving home to open a small parcel, to find a shot gum shell, with a message attached, next ones coming "airmail". Never found out who did not like me :)

Keep posting your achievements; I am sure that they will inspire people out of procrastination.

From current into the deregulation/changes to real estate licensing in Australia:

Ref: FairTradingNSW - Pg 27

Australia-wide, only 31% of commercial property sales in 2012 were over $1m, so that gives you a pretty good chance of securing a CIP for less than $1m.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 64
From current into the deregulation/changes to real estate licensing in Australia:

Ref: FairTradingNSW - Pg 27

Australia-wide, only 31% of commercial property sales in 2012 were over $1m, so that gives you a pretty good chance of securing a CIP for less than $1m.

Is that just because investors with good ones are "forever holds"?

What you will find is that it can be a waiting game. Take Sydney's inner west. Much of the retail strip in these suburbs have been held be migrants who came out in the 1950's and are now approaching their 70's & 80's. As the owners are dying off or the kids don't want them (ignorant 8astards), they are hitting the market. The parents were of the school of never sell but not the kids.

What you will find is that it can be a waiting game. Take Sydney's inner west. Much of the retail strip in these suburbs have been held be migrants who came out in the 1950's and are now approaching their 70's & 80's. As the owners are dying off or the kids don't want them (ignorant 8astards), they are hitting the market. The parents were of the school of never sell but not the kids.

I don't think it's necessarily ignorance per se...most likely a bad will was made and there is no other way of managing the estate except paying out everyone by selling the properties.

I don't think it's necessarily ignorance per se...most likely a bad will was made and there is no other way of managing the estate except paying out everyone by selling the properties.

Could be right, or retail is way too hard, or just maybe..... the kids reckon they will drop off the perch in 30 years time, life is too short, ..... going out with a bang:)

Could be right, or retail is way too hard, or just maybe..... the kids reckon they will drop off the perch in 30 years time, life is too short, ..... going out with a bang:)

...or can the kids only see the equity as a big deposit on their own home, which they can't afford without selling the family shopfront?

...or can the kids only see the equity as a big deposit on their own home, which they can't afford without selling the family shopfront?

Doubt it seems... Jewish, Italian and Greeks hold these properties and they look after their kids.

Last edited:
My grandfather had 4 or 5 commercial properties and a business operating in one. The next generation sold them all off. I remember being about 8 asking about them. My mum would say she didn't know much and didn't have any business sense. I guess some people understand investing, some don't. There was also some unfairness/greediness - I'll never know the whole story. I know they sold one property that had the business operating when someone retired and they weren't bothered to replace him so they sold the property empty. Another property had the same tenant for about 20yrs, he's still there now, 15 yrs after they sold.

...considering all offers for several of mine this morning. 4am starts are harsh when ur not getting shift penalties.

I feel the pain. All parents have been in similar places.

Ms20 and Ms24 will come back home later this year after several years travelling. It may be a difficult experience in its own way.

Back