Possibly an Unethical question ???

Please dont judge my character on this question, but I thought I might ask.

With the bonus for FHG being pinned to a property price of 500K in VIC

Would it be unethical to lets says ask the agent or vendor to make the sale price at 499 and pay the difference to the vendor by bank cheque ?

Assuming the difference was only 5 or 10K over the 500 price

I'm aware of the implications of this being classed as fraudulent activity but I was just curious of peoples thoughts and

Pleasse dont bite my head off :D

Can you live with yourself for being a cheat.
I cannot so I wouldn't

I also assume the govt would check sales prices against grant money

I would have thought that the agents would be very aware of this cut-off, and that this could be used to your advantage to get a better price.

Eg if you told the agent "I'll be getting the first home grant, but for this to work the price needs to be under $500k".

Assuming there's no other buyer you can be assured that the agent will do whatever he can to get the seller to accept, even though the agent is supposed to work for the seller. The line about the grant is powerful as it can be backed by fact. If the seller doesn't accept they're obviously not that motivated to sell and the place may be a poor deal.

In the end if the seller accepts you get a better deal and it's all above board :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it's ok but hey that's me. I would suggest you buy the house for x, then buy his couch off him as well for $10k. the purchase of the couch could be drawn up as a legal doc. This assumes the vendor couldn;t just go and find someone else to pay the $510k for the house and he keeps his couch.

Please dont judge my character on this question, but I thought I might ask.

Would it be unethical to lets says ask the agent or vendor to make the sale price at 499 and pay the difference to the vendor by bank cheque ?

Assuming the difference was only 5 or 10K over the 500 price

I'm aware of the implications of this being classed as fraudulent activity but I was just curious of peoples thoughts and

Pleasse dont bite my head off :D
If it's done in a bank cheque then it will show up somewhere,the only way would be cash but that would also come with problems,i'm not sure i would go down this road the downside outways the upside,plus i would not deal with a RE like this gives them too much room to fill their pockets also..
imho willair..

Offer 499,999.99 and tell them you can't pay a cent more because you'll lose the grant. Then just live with the outcome. ;)

I might have done somthing like this in the past , but i am now such a strong believer in calma i would'nt dare .
now and for the last 19 or so years it is all black/white for me , somtimes more challenging but it means i do not have to hide my head from any one.
If i paid cash for the small differance it would come back and bite me on the *** for sure.
maybe not tomorrow or the next but it would hit me when my cards were down .and then i would regret it .

Craigb, you shouldnt have admitted to the spelling error but have said that Kalma makes you calma so you spell it that way!

Back