Pre-paid interest

I'm with rams, looking to fix in 200K of my 245K debt at 5.95% over two years for a investment property.

They offer a .15% discount for interest in advance. I have the coin in an offset account(6.78% variable) and no plans for it in the near future.(I'm overseas backpacking for at least another 9 months)

Is the discount of .15% a good deal? or am I better of leaving it in offset account and paying monthly?

I'm with rams, looking to fix in 200K of my 245K debt at 5.95% over two years for a investment property.

They offer a .15% discount for interest in advance. I have the coin in an offset account(6.78% variable) and no plans for it in the near future.(I'm overseas backpacking for at least another 9 months)

Is the discount of .15% a good deal? or am I better of leaving it in offset account and paying monthly?

Prepaying will bring fwd the tax dedn..... which may not be what you want if you have low taxable this year., and larger next year

Ta

Rolf

How much is in the offset account? If it more than $45k will it also offset the fixed portion?

Apart from that, I would keep the cash in the offset @ 6.78% rather than pay a sub 6% loan.

SYD

Hi Rolf,

By being overseas he would have a good basis of claiming a need to borrow too. This would free up more cash for future private expenditure.:)

Wouldn't that compromise tax deductibility? Like capitalizing interest?

If the underlying loan is deductible then the interet on any capitalised loan would generally be deductible. One exception would be where the dominant purpose is to pay down a PPOR quicker. However, this doesn't apply in this situation (I think) and the borrower is overseas so they would have good grounds to borrow to pay the interest.

Back