Pre paying expenses for benifit in this FY

Guys

I am needing to pay as much as poss this FY as there are some new rules that affect me next year re. net rental lost :mad:

I have just read this section in an ATO pdf

WHAT IS EXCLUDED EXPENDITURE?
Certain types of expenditure are excluded from the
prepayment rules. These are:
■ amounts of less than $1,000
■ amounts required to be incurred by a court order or law
of the Commonwealth, state or territory
■ payments of salary or wages (under a contract of service)
■ amounts that are capital, private or domestic in nature,
and
■ certain amounts incurred by a general insurance
company in connection with the issue of policies or the
payment of reinsurance premiums.

from this link http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/IND00135745n41700608.pdf

it's the 1st point I am unsure of and that is 'amounts' does this mean that we each ( wife and me) can pay as many $999 payments for related expenses and claim this FY or just one each

Hope someone can help

Martin

You can make multiple prepayments for eligible expenses as long as each expense is under $1000 ie its not cumulative or a gross figure for all prepayments.

Don't worry about the excluded expenditure ceiling if you can rely on the 12 month rule.

i.e. non-business taxpayer pays today for a service that relates to a period of no more than 12 months duration and the particular period ends by June 30th next year.

Cheers,

Rob

Don't worry about the excluded expenditure ceiling if you can rely on the 12 month rule.

i.e. non-business taxpayer pays today for a service that relates to a period of no more than 12 months duration and the particular period ends by June 30th next year.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks Rob and Buzz

I relised I was reading the wrong page :rolleyes:

I presume I cannot use my deperication for next year this year as I did not 'pay' x anount of $'s out ?

MArtin

I presume I cannot use my deperication for next year this year as I did not 'pay' x anount of $'s out ?

Correct.

Depreciation is a non-cash expense and not incurred until the period has expired.

Councils will let you prepay rates, often with a small discount. Lenders will usually allow prepayment of interest subject to you fixing the rate for that period.

Cheers,

Rob

Correct.

Depreciation is a non-cash expense and not incurred until the period has expired.

Councils will let you prepay rates, often with a small discount. Lenders will usually allow prepayment of interest subject to you fixing the rate for that period.

Cheers,

Rob

cheers Rob

I need to be able to get my rental loss income as near to 0 as poss next year , If by chance I miss calculate would I be able to pick to on;y use a % of the depecation to control the the loss figure ( i.e decuction $5000 can I use just $2300 of it )

Thanks Martin

Back