Predators circle bushfire victims in cheap land bid

Predators circle bushfire victims in cheap land bid
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25080922-661,00.html

RUTHLESS property investors are swooping on bushfire victims to buy their devastated land.

Disgusted real estate agents told the Herald Sun they were fielding calls from predators seeking cheap "scorched land for sale".

Greedy landlords also have been caught trying to rent overpriced rooms to survivors who have lost everything.

Whittlesea real estate director Lorraine Coulthard, who has unscathed homes for sale in Kinglake, Flowerdale and Wandong, said a handful of callers wanted to know why prices had not plummeted.

"I feel like slapping them. There are sharks that swarm everywhere," said Ms Coulthard, of Raine and Horne.

Colliers International in Wallan, which narrowly escaped being engulfed by flames, confirmed one person rang within days of the tragedy asking about "scorched land for sale cheap".

A real estate agent in Whittlesea hung up on one caller scouting for bargains who said: "There might be some desperate people looking to sell."

The State Government yesterday lashed out at the merchants of grief as the fire death toll rose to 208.

Minister for Consumer Affairs Tony Robinson urged desperate fire survivors not to sell in panic.

"Trying to cash in on the misery and hardships faced by country Victorians right now is insensitive and offensive," he said.

The Real Estate Institute of Victoria, mourning the loss of three agents in the infernos, said the scrounging for discount property was despicable. REIV boss Enzo Raimondo said property predators were compounding the pain of the survivors.

"Natural disasters, fortunately, bring out the best in most people, but unfortunately also bring out the worst in the minority," he said.

REIV business development manager Geoff White told the Herald Sun he was disgusted to learn of two landlords in Whittlesea and Healesville offering to rent houses for double the usual rate.

One wanted $400 a week for a house worth $200.

"Our members smelled a rat and are avoiding them like the plague," Mr White said.

The industry body's website has a dedication to missing Marysville real estate agents David and Marlene Sebald and Humevale's Allan O'Gorman, who died with his wife Carolyn and son Stuart.

Dodgy behaviour should be reported to Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 55 81 81.

Flowerdale man Trevor Nolte, who put his Riverside Crescent house up for sale before the fires struck, said the property vultures beggared belief.

"If one of those jerks come near me they'll get an earful," Mr Nolte said.

Mr Raimondo advised home owners in the fire zones to avoid hasty and emotional decisions to sell.

"It would probably be best to wait until the clean-up and plans for reconstruction are finalised," Mr Raimondo said.

Although property values around the 1983 Ash Wednesday fires dipped in the short term, prices in many areas rebounded.

hi
I think it will be very interesting the land values in this area
as people would have bought in that area because of the hstoric nature of the are now as the area is cleared I don't think the same land value will be there
so if people think they wil be bying cheap land they may well find they are buying at a incorrect figure.
so me land in that area needs to be assessed as a new estate rate and tahts very different to what was there before
I don't think taht the value will be there as the area will be very different then it was when its reconstructed
and not sure if you will see demand as people get paid out and want to live somewhere else anyway
as for over pricing for me thats fine
they call it karma or what goes around comes around an dthey are the type of peope that end up being robbed or mugged and wonder why.

i don't see why anyone would buy a piece of land in a middle of nowhere with no guarantee that there will be anyone living beside your land

hi boomtown
the trees would be soft woods then and you are going to have to wait a bit longer for the house nextdoor to be heritage listed.
the reason that these type of place and bowral is a prime example people pay a bit of a premium to live there
so it could be that tey are all small farms, heritage, small community,small little local school etc
but when its burnt out its start again and now its the same as st clair,st marys, campbelltown, liverpool etc where they are seen as a new estate.
and thats a very different market as you are into the first home owners area and project homes.
its just not the same and the people that did live there
lived there because they did not want to live in that type of community.
como went up in flames the last time and I think it was said some where that 93% of the houses rebuilt were sold with the first 12 months as the community was totally changed
even the pub changed hands the owner took to insurance and moved on.
they were a bit more lucky as they are on the fringe on sydney area so they could build and sell of to incomming new owners and move on these will be a bit more difficult as not sure if they could or would commute to a cbd

i don't see why anyone would buy a piece of land in a middle of nowhere with no guarantee that there will be anyone living beside your land

i don't see why anyone would buy land in a state that goes up in flames every year without fail. Give me cyclones and floods any day.

Back