Problems with water runoff from our neighbour.

Good job!!

I like the solution - building rather than digging! And great saving!

Let us know sometime in the future whether it does the job.

Water runoff being diverted deliberately

Hi guys,

To give you an insight as to what brought this on, I have a nightmare neighbour next door. Some 5 years ago they added fill about a meter high for 16 meters long up against the fence and then proceeded to build a garage on top of it. naturally the fence collapsed. Despite my leniency towards them allowing them time to take care of the matter they in the end denied everything. Most recently I have obtained a court order allowing me to build the retaining wall on the boundary at the cost of expenses only. Only part of the expenses my neighbour was liable to pay for. Moving on, the retaining wall and fence are now built with approval from council passing final inspection. my neighbour decided out of spite to bury the flexible pipe with sock, cut a channel in front of his garage and along side the retaining deliberately funnelling his surface water runoff onto the retaining wall and my property. This has on two seperate occasions put the pilot light out on my hot water system. Council refuses to intervene because they passed the development with the imported fill how it was hwever has not yet issued them with a final occupation certificate on the garage build and knowingly allows them to continue using the premises against their own regulations. When ever I ask for intervention then bloody council keeps arguing this is a dividing fence matter.

To me this is a civil nuisance matter that is ongoing. i am talking dead rats over the fence, tree branches thrown over the fence, blocking my driveway with their car, complaints to council about anything and everything I do and all out war. All because I dared to ask them to fix the stuff up and now most recently because the court order allowed me to build the retaining wall and fence for the cost of materials which they are partially liable for and refusing to pay for. Long story a statement of claim has been issued and I intend to pursue this further. However I regret having the matter heard in the local court under the dividing fences act and in retrospect should have gone directly to the district court to have a proper hearing on the matter.

They are sneaky scumbags and this I will not allow to just pass. Is there anyone that knows where to find the regulations on storm water run off between properties ?

I am glad to see that you were considerate enough to do it propwrly. My neighbour is a scumbag that does everything she and her father can to create a nuisance towards me.

Neighbour next door many moons ago had a particularly swampy backyard. So did major landscaping works with all drainage works funnelled into their side garden. Our side of this fence was totally concreted with a very wide drive, so all his water started running under our concrete and washing away the dirt. He wouldnt believe there was any volume of water from him that would do this. and I was starting to think of $$$$ to run drainage pits beside thefence. I asked if he would connect up a hose and run it out the front of his place to see what water came out. It ran continually all day and night! They had a massive argument over this and he did fix the problem, but they seperated soon after. Felt a bit guilty but wouldnt believe it was all over this.

Back