Neighbour Problems

Hi All,

I am having two issues with a neighbour (non english speaking) and am looking for some guidance and/or material from members as I am getting no where with government authorities and local council (Victoria) for information.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and or information regarding the following:

1. My neighbour has installed a clothes line on our shared timber fence. The fence is not strong enough to hold the weight of the fence and as such is starting to buckle - its only 18 months old. I've spoken to several authroties who advise that I have to speak to my neighbour about it. Any advise on how to do this without putting them off side?

2. My neighbour's slab and site is a lot higher than mine (although my house was the first on the street). It is not part of the natural slope of the land - as they have elevated it to an approximately 20 degree slope towards my property.

As a result, my property is experiencing 'flooding' when there is rain. I attempted to sort out the problem with their builder who advised that I will have to put in drainage - although this is only a problem due to their elevation.

Again I need some advise on how to approach this matter as the excess water has made it impossible to keep a garden - I removed in excess of 40kg of rock that came under the fence just last weekend...

I have gone to the council three months ago to discuss the matter and have followed up with their officer on several occassions but am waiting for a response.

I look forward to your thoughts and/or opinions.

Back