procedures of self-manage property needed

An IP will be settled next month in VIC, and the current landlord wants to stay in the house for 6 months while they build their house.

I'd like to self-manage first then hand over to PM until the owner move out.

Can any body please let me know the procedures to self-manage the property? or where can I find such information?

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Aulyna

Last edited:
Bond

Thanks Pablo for your kind help.

The selling agent is arranging the agreement for the renting, but he said only agent managed property asking for bond. He said it's a nice family; they will look after the house.

Should I still ask bond to be paid? Do you always get bond paid by tenants?

Thanks,

Aulyna

The selling agent is arranging the agreement for the renting, but he said only agent managed property asking for bond. He said it's a nice family; they will look after the house.

The selling agent may not have a clue about managing a place. It's no skin of his nose if the 'nice' family trashes the place: he gets his commission from the sale.

Personally, if I was you, I would get a PM to manage it.
Alex

:eek:Sheesh, 3 answers to your question.:eek:

Yes! YES! and YES!

May I suggest you speak to a couple of Property Manangers? Self managing is tough at the best of times & if you are new at having IP's it could prove to be the best decision you have ever made.

I will always opt for a PM although I do live with one!

All jokes aside if it were to get ugly and you have to drag the "nice family" through court you'd wished you'd parted with that couple of %. For your piece of mind get yourself a good PM, well worth the money.

Good luck

Hey,
It isn't that bad to manage yourself!
Mine are mainly around Melbourne.
It is a bit of paperwork but not too bad. Especially if your real estate agent draws up:
1. The Tenancy Agreement
2. The Condition Report
3. Get the tenant to pay the Bond and sign the Bond Lodgement forms

Step 1, 2, 3 -not that hard. You may also need to do step 4 - Post the correctly signed Bond Lodgement form and Cheque with the Bond Authority.

It is NOT TRUE you need a PM in order to take Bond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you MUST lodge the bond with the Victorian Bond Authority, with you listed as the Owner/Property Manager, and it must have YOUR signature on this form.

You should make the payment of the bond to be made before settlement commences (?) DEFINETELY make sure you get the bond and all the tenancy agreements and condition report drawn up and SIGNED by them BEFORE settlement. Check all this with your conveyancer. You MUST have all the stuff in writing, or things can go quite queer.

You know there are all sorts of rules about the bond? I strongly suggest that you take the rent payable monthly in advance. So they also will be required to pay the months rent in advance prior to settlement.

You can get your conveyancer to talk to theres to include both the rent in advance and the bond to be taken care of in the Statement of Adjustments for settlement if you like.

Don't be scarred of it you are prepared to do a little bit of reading and a bit of managing to make sure payments are made.
Have fun - learn - read - ....
If you have committments (ie work and private) that don't allow you to check that the payment is made, then employ a PM. Otherwise dont be scarred - its not scary. Most people are reasonable and law abiding and respectful.

Last edited:
Thank you very much hopefulme:D

Hey,
It isn't that bad to manage yourself!
Mine are mainly around Melbourne.
It is a bit of paperwork but not too bad. Especially if your real estate agent draws up:
1. The Tenancy Agreement
2. The Condition Report
3. Get the tenant to pay the Bond and sign the Bond Lodgement forms

Step 1, 2, 3 -not that hard. You may also need to do step 4 - Post the correctly signed Bond Lodgement form and Cheque with the Bond Authority.

It is NOT TRUE you need a PM in order to take Bond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you MUST lodge the bond with the Victorian Bond Authority, with you listed as the Owner/Property Manager, and it must have YOUR signature on this form.

You should make the payment of the bond to be made before settlement commences (?) DEFINETELY make sure you get the bond and all the tenancy agreements and condition report drawn up and SIGNED by them BEFORE settlement. Check all this with your conveyancer. You MUST have all the stuff in writing, or things can go quite queer.

You know there are all sorts of rules about the bond? I strongly suggest that you take the rent payable monthly in advance. So they also will be required to pay the months rent in advance prior to settlement.

You can get your conveyancer to talk to theres to include both the rent in advance and the bond to be taken care of in the Statement of Adjustments for settlement if you like.

Don't be scarred of it you are prepared to do a little bit of reading and a bit of managing to make sure payments are made.
Have fun - learn - read - ....
If you have committments (ie work and private) that don't allow you to check that the payment is made, then employ a PM. Otherwise dont be scarred - its not scary. Most people are reasonable and law abiding and respectful.

Thank you very much hopefulme:D

I really want to manage it myself to save some money :eek:, especially the previous owner wants to rent, so I don't have to find tenant myself. Your message is very very helpful.

I'll check with my conveyancer next Monday.

Have a great weekend.

Aulyna:)

Hi Aulyna,

It might be to late but I found this order form where you can order all the forms you need,

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256902000FE154/Lookup/CAV_Publications_Renting/$file/rentorderform.pdf

A bit inconvenient, you would think that they could be downloaded.

Cheers,
Pablo.

Thanks Pablo

I have got the form from the same address. Thank you Pablo, anyway.

The house will be settled on next Friday. I hope I can sort it out in time.

Have a good weekend.

Aulyna

Current status

Thanks all for the helps.

I have got the bond lodgement form from web (by my husband :eek:).

The house finally settled 2 days ago and has rented to the vender for $1100/m ( =253/w, one pm said the house could be rented for $260 or above)with $1000 bond without a pm :D.

It seems the vender is a good guy, he's happy with the rent and hope they live there longer than 4-6 month.

Happy new year.

Aulyna

Back