Programming?

Is anyone here a programmer? I think I fancy study programming, mostly for myself because I feel like I'm living in the matrix and everything around me is driven by mysterious codes that I don't understand, but it would be a plus if it lead to work. Not sure if the TAFE Cert IV in Programming will cut it for finding work later? Equally not sure I can commit to a whole degree. Any advice/input gladly received.

I'm doing a Diploma of Software Development, but I can't tell you if it will lead to a job. It's 12 months full time- very much so.

I started doing units at the local TAFE but found it very light on- I transferred to a course with the same qualification at Holmesglen though Computer Power. It's expensive, but through HELP (HECS) but I really feel I am learning.

I used to be a programmer before 8 years in my business- I'm just trying to get back into a job I really enjoyed.

Hmm, light-on sounds ok to me for the moment, I think. I don't know if I could handle anything too heavy with a bub around the house. Then again, I was also thinking of enrolling part time in the Computer Science degree that CSU (the local uni here in Bathurst) offers. They offer it by distance too, so I could keep going with it if we moved back to Spain. Urgh, can't decide. I guess if I really enjoy it once I start then the idea of studying part time for 6 years isn't so bad. But geez, 6 years is longer than I've ever committed to anything!

Luce I have no doubt that there'd be something in IT that you'd be great at. I've worked in the field and there are numerous roles, programming or otherwise. My wife has also worked heavily in IT in completely different roles.

You know I'm always happy to have a chat with you any time you like. :)

I was a programmer a long time ago. To be honest, I don't think it's a great career to pursue in Australia anymore due to outsourcing and general lack of high tech industry in Australia. There are still some areas such as some web programming that still get done locally but I don't know if that will last. It's certainly not the 'road to riches' that it might have been in the 90's.

Another thing is that to be good at it, you really have to have a bit of passion for it. There are several online learning sites where you could try your hand at it and see if you want to commit to something further, e.g.:

http://www.codecademy.com/

I was a programmer a long time ago. To be honest, I don't think it's a great career to pursue in Australia anymore due to outsourcing and general lack of high tech industry in Australia. There are still some areas such as some web programming that still get done locally but I don't know if that will last. It's certainly not the 'road to riches' that it might have been in the 90's.

Couldn't agree more. Back in the 90's IT was the game to be in. I came straight out of highschool an landed a job as a systems admin on 50k back then just because I knew how to use windows NT server lol. After the dot com crash everything changed and now they want you to know it all and put you on 70K a year. No thanks.

Everything is outsourced to India now and most of what is done here isn't what it once was financially.

Been a programmer for 15 yrs and never had an issue getting a job, once you have a bit of experience under your belt. Yes there are a few larger companies outsourcing to India, China and SE Asia but there are also others back flipping and bringing back in as they feel the effects in all its glory of outsourcing. Yes it turns out cheaper during the build phase but will more than likely come and bite you later, when the code quality is sub-standard and there are more than expected defects in production and takes longer to fix them cause the code is not to Australian standards. Also when requirements are misinterpreted due to language barriers and the "is this task complete?" "Yes, Yes." to find it hasn't. Anyway enough complaining about outsourcing, the part of the industry where I am there is plenty of work and I don't see that changing drastically any time soon...

Just applied for the computer science degree at CSU. Yay! Not that fussed about work prospects because it will be aaages before I finish and by then hubby will have made squillions and I won't need to work anyway... Looking forward to finally understanding what makes all this stuff around me work :)

Not sure if the TAFE Cert IV in Programming will cut it for finding work later?

Not that fussed about work prospects because it will be aaages before I finish and by then hubby will have made squillions and I won't need to work anyway...

That's why women in the workforce are unreliable and not good long term employee prospects.

Been a programmer for 15 yrs and never had an issue getting a job, once you have a bit of experience under your belt. Yes there are a few larger companies outsourcing to India, China and SE Asia but there are also others back flipping and bringing back in as they feel the effects in all its glory of outsourcing. Yes it turns out cheaper during the build phase but will more than likely come and bite you later, when the code quality is sub-standard and there are more than expected defects in production and takes longer to fix them cause the code is not to Australian standards. Also when requirements are misinterpreted due to language barriers and the "is this task complete?" "Yes, Yes." to find it hasn't. Anyway enough complaining about outsourcing, the part of the industry where I am there is plenty of work and I don't see that changing drastically any time soon...

Been outsourcing for years, never paid more than $20hr and "sub standard" code was much worse using locals at over $80hr. And of course the time involved is always rounded up by a few hours.
"Web development" companies charge $100-$150hr for basic editing/php stuff or dubious SEO.
Not that i care too much that competition pays 10 times more than me. It's a good thing.

Just applied for the computer science degree at CSU.

Talk about jumping straight in!
I hope you like mathematics, because you are going to be doing a fair few subjects that requires it.

General programming & scripting doesn't involve advanced math so you could look at taking a Bachelor of IT instead. It will still teach you about programming, scripting, the software development life cycle (probably as an elective) and business processing and analysis.

Computer Science is definitely a more theoretical (scientific) approach to solving advanced/complicated problems. While the IT degress are more applied and broad.

I have no idea about your capability, I just wanted to let you know that if you just want to do everyday programming grunt work, then CS is very much overkill.

In the mean time, maybe consider looking at code academy for some free programming lessons or computer science on the Khan academy site to get a feel of what it is you that appeals to you most.

Good luck with it. :)

Talk about jumping straight in!
I hope you like mathematics, because you are going to be doing a fair few subjects that requires it.

General programming & scripting doesn't involve advanced math so you could look at taking a Bachelor of IT instead. It will still teach you about programming, scripting, the software development life cycle (probably as an elective) and business processing and analysis.

Computer Science is definitely a more theoretical (scientific) approach to solving advanced/complicated problems. While the IT degress are more applied and broad.

I have no idea about your capability, I just wanted to let you know that if you just want to do everyday programming grunt work, then CS is very much overkill.

In the mean time, maybe consider looking at code academy for some free programming lessons or computer science on the Khan academy site to get a feel of what it is you that appeals to you most.

Good luck with it. :)

+1
I completed my B. CompSci at UOW in 2003 and it was a bit of a mind stressing period in my life as I was 30 when I started. Started as a F/T student but eventually completed it P/T due to employment. Definitely a lot of maths/logic/probability which wasn't my strong suit. In my 3rd year I opted for a few Business IT subject away from the mainstream CS just to keep me sain.

Congrats on enrolling and best of luck. You can always use your elective choices to target parts of CS/IT that interest you the most.

Couldn't agree more. Back in the 90's IT was the game to be in. I came straight out of highschool an landed a job as a systems admin on 50k back then just because I knew how to use windows NT server lol. After the dot com crash everything changed and now they want you to know it all and put you on 70K a year. No thanks.

Everything is outsourced to India now and most of what is done here isn't what it once was financially.

Yes or no.
Stuff that's outsource-able is outsourced. This includes programming, developing, web stuff. This is because anyone can sit in their house on the loo bashing out code.

I work in IT doing System Engineer level stuff for a company that is in the Co-managed / SME support / projects space. This technically is outsource-able (since I do have clients who are interstate), but local presence is very appreciated when interacting with company stakeholders.

Yes or no.
Stuff that's outsource-able is outsourced. This includes programming, developing, web stuff. This is because anyone can sit in their house on the loo bashing out code.

I work in IT doing System Engineer level stuff for a company that is in the Co-managed / SME support / projects space. This technically is outsource-able (since I do have clients who are interstate), but local presence is very appreciated when interacting with company stakeholders.

It's still ok but it's not what it was in the 90's. If you have programming or sys admin skills back then you had huge earning potential with little experience even at a young age. IT was the mining boom of the 90's.

That's why women in the workforce are unreliable and not good long term employee prospects.

Whaaa? Mate, that doesn't even make sense. If I was already in the workforce and I was considering leaving it or changing careers, perhaps it might (though I'd have other problems with it), but I'm a stay at home mum considering studying something out of interest. Nothing to do with the workforce. Yes, I asked about which course would be better if I wanted to work later, but that's just because it makes sense to choose the one that I could potentially use, not because I'm actually likely to use it. More likely I'll never use it because we'll have more kids, move back to Spain, etc. Besides, most people in most industries move job every 12 months or so, regardless of whether they have ovaries or not.

Anyhow, I may well have bitten off more than I can chew with all the math, we'll have to wait and see. I did well in maths at school, but that was a loooong time ago. If worst comes to worst, I'll just drop out, no big deal.

So if you went to work for a printer computer company, would you be a Luce Canon?

It is a bit dive in head first without knowing whether or not you like it. I'd really be suggesting you start off with a Cert course first, just to see if you like it. Or even a summer or Internet based formal course. You would get an idea of the concepts without going in over your head.

Computer science is not really so much about making you employable.

Maybe it's a bit crazy, but I also think 6 years part time will be great for keeping my brain active, and presumably the course will keep up to date with whatever new stuff is going on in the industry. Whereas doing a Cert IV course over a year and then just being a stay at home mum in Spain, I'll probably forget most of it and fairly quickly be out of touch with whatever is going on in the industry.

Oh, and the big thing was also that I could do face to face at CSU whereas the Cert IV course was via distance, which would be pretty hard for me given I'm starting from less than zero. Heck, I only got a smart phone last year...

I enrolled in CS at UWS many years ago but jumped ship just before the HECS cut off date.

Man, it was a heavy duty course...no place for a bogan.

I remember the maths teacher was a doctor so I approached her about a rash I had at the time..she said "I'm not that kind of doctor you idiot."

But I do remember discrete mathematics (I only studied when no one was watching), flip flops (surprised thongs were used in computing), machine language (heck, machines can talk!), loops (I was going loopy at this stage) and sentinels (had to keep a look out for them).

So in the end CS and I parted ways.

luce if you want to do a course for interest and self improvement sake and you've shown little interest in maths or computing up to this point how do you know if it will capture your interest in the future?

You also said you couldn't handle anything too heavy.

Personally I would choose something I know interests me and I know I will enjoy, and where the load is lighter.

Just being practical.

Back