Property 2 go time?

Hi,

Looking to buy a 2nd property, just wondering if people think it is viable to take the next step.

Currently have 70k in available cash.

Currently have. 2 bedroom apartment in st kilda returning 4.3%
LVR 85%
Fixed rate 3 years at 5.59 interest only
Property 1 - holding cost before tax, $5000 taking into consideration expenses and rental income.

Current income $60,000 before tax and my living expenses are about 20k per annum. I am renting at the moment and happy to continue.

I am saving about $300 a week, so thinking I'd rather use the $70k to purchase a second property.

Any thouts whether I am ready to do this? I would look at using a different bank as I don't want to use the same one and get the st kilda property revalued, as I just at 5.59.

I am thinking I need something that's cash-flow neutral to positive. Thinking something around the $350k mark with a yield closer to 5 percent as I don't want to be negatively geared...

Thoughts if I am in a position for P2.

I know I have to see a bank....

Hi,

Looking to buy a 2nd property, just wondering if people think it is viable to take the next step.

Currently have 70k in available cash.

Currently have. 2 bedroom apartment in st kilda returning 4.3%
LVR 85%
Fixed rate 3 years at 5.59 interest only
Property 1 - holding cost before tax, $5000 taking into consideration expenses and rental income.

Current income $60,000 before tax and my living expenses are about 20k per annum. I am renting at the moment and happy to continue.

I am saving about $300 a week, so thinking I'd rather use the $70k to purchase a second property.

Any thouts whether I am ready to do this? I would look at using a different bank as I don't want to use the same one and get the st kilda property revalued, as I just at 5.59.

I am thinking I need something that's cash-flow neutral to positive. Thinking something around the $350k mark with a yield closer to 5 percent as I don't want to be negatively geared...

Thoughts if I am in a position for P2.

I know I have to see a bank....

Hi Keneth

Its obvious you have the real life affordability because you can save 300 a week.

As to what your lender or a lender would assess might be different.

I would NOT use the 70 k cash I have. thatstax paid cash that you might want to keep aside for a PPOR one day

I would go to the lender that has the loan for St Kilda and get a separate variable equity loan to the same LVR that I took the loan out originally, and use that money for part deposit and costs. Sure there will be a little LMI on that, but it wont be much compared to the original loan.

ta
rolf

To be cashflow neutral, your net return needs to be at least the current interest rate, ie around 7%, just to cover the mortgage costs. Then take strata, property management fees into account, insurance, etc... the gross yield needs to be more like 10% to get close to being neutral.

Also consider that you could get 5.5% return on your $70k cash just by putting it in the bank, guaranteed with no risk and no tenants to worry about.

So thinking about getting a return of "close to 5 percent" is way off target, imho.

You should work out exactly how much you can afford as this differs across different lenders. Who are you currently with? It looks like a Bank of Melbourne 3 year fixed?

Back