Property Business Structure Set Up

Hi all,
We have 5 renovations under our belt and are currently on our 2nd subdivision. All previous have been done as PPOR and owner builder, we are now looking to do this on a larger scale (ie; buy, renovate & sell multiple properties in a year) and would like advice as to the best way to set this up; sole trader, partnership, pty ltd company?
Thanks
:)

Hi KarmaBus

Will depend on the state that you in (Land Tax and transfer duty), family (possibility of distribution from trust), any outside investors.

A structure that we commonly use when there are no outside investors and you are a repeat developer

Disc Trust with Corp Trust acquires property with
First Mortgage from Bank
2nd Mortgage from your own Finance Trust (all Equity in Here & this entity does nothing other than lend money)

Project Management Trust contracts with Disc Trust to develop property, completes DA, engages professionals, builders etc. (owns nothing of real value)

The Finance Trust and Project Management Trust are one time setup's, they keep on running. They typically do not change regardless of the state and other settings.

The Disc Trust is specific to each individual development and is closed down after each development sells.

if you had outside investors you might consider a company to buy the property.

In NSW it would need to be a specific unit trust for land tax purposes (see Terry W on here for that sort of info)

If you wanted to retain some of the development as a long term investment then you might use a partnership of entities and utilise partitioning to transfer the individual parts of the development to the different partners. (this would also work for multiple investors)

NSW would definitely see Terry W on here, he is a structuring guru.

The structure setup doesnt need the complexity and the liability issues in the former post. This isnt commercial. "Master trusts" are a structure some may suggest but its largely a tax problem with intertwined loans between entities (all trusts) with no comercial basis and no asset recourse. In short, a sham. Having siucessfully survived many client Wickenby cases the word "loan" to me sends shivers up my spine. The ATO view on related party loans can by very different to that of a written loan agreement.

My simple recommendations are generally these:
1. If you build and develop (rather than buy on contract) ALWAYS segregate asset ownership from operations.
a) Company is the builder and contracts and is the "sacrificial" entity if liabilities arise.. The old $2 company. Isolvent trading is a concern however.
b) In NSW an seperate entity owns the land. Possibly a unit trust.
- Who are unitholders ?? Land tax concerns ??
- How is financing proposed ?
- Flexibility to change ownership

Loads of issues affect all of this:
- Value of landholding and duties issues
- Land tax thresholds of the parties
- Financing
- Duration of development

NEVER EVER
- Partnerships.
- Sole Trader.
The risks associated are too significant. Personal liability, jint / several. Unit trusts are far far better for many so called partnerships and can include a way to give two families each a FIXED share v's a share of profit + a full and unlimited risk of losses.

Happy to discuss offline. Email or call.

And once you decide on a broad structure you then need to consider the structure of the structure - internal set ups of companies, terms of the trusts, unit holders, shareholders etc.

Need to consider asset protection from 3 angles:
1. Bankruptcy - of the individual and of the entities
2. incapacity
3 death
maybe even family law too.

Consider the taxation aspects incuding what could the effect of a failure be - losses, both capital and income

Many other things to look at too, some legal, some practical - getting finance and flexibility is one often overlooked.

Terry you raise a very good point often overlooked in the race for profit and wealth. Unwinding things. How will an interest be valued ? Companies and Trusts may well be suitable structures but the agreeements surrounding operations can just as easily disintegrate into a brawl between two former friends.

I often see two related / unrelated parties seek a "partnership" for a franchise. Each with a fixed share. One structure that seems very logical on first appearance is a Class Discretionary Trust with each family having a FIXED interest to income and capital. Thereafter distribution within their respective beneficiary class in a discretinary capacity. But many issues can affect what seems so solid:
- Liabilities
- Changing the %
- Inability to make unanimous decisions
- Asset protection from each other
- Powers of appointment
- Estate planning

I dont think I have ever seen identrical facts in any structure. There is always a issue.

So what seems smart may be far from smart.

A partnership of discretionary trusts will be even better than a class discretionary trust to maximise access to the small business cgt concessions.

The structure setup doesnt need the complexity and the liability issues in the former post. This isnt commercial. "Master trusts" are a structure some may suggest but its largely a tax problem with intertwined loans between entities (all trusts) with no comercial basis and no asset recourse. In short, a sham. Having siucessfully survived many client Wickenby cases the word "loan" to me sends shivers up my spine. The ATO view on related party loans can by very different to that of a written loan agreement.

Happy to discuss offline. Email or call.

The structure I discussed above is not for taxation reasons, although I have survived a couple of audits over the last 15 years that I have been doing it. And a top tax law barrister I brief also supports it. If your intention in using such a structure is tax avoidance then you are in trouble.

The structure is about protecting what you have created. Developments do go bad. I have 3 clients who have gone personally bankrupt (all business related personal guarantees rather than developments). They lost control of the company that was running the business, 2 lost their PPOR also. BUT they are the beneficiaries of trusts that have significant assets and income. Their trusts were also secured creditors of the companies that went under. During bankruptcy they are able to receive distributions from trusts up to the specified income level that year and not have any issues. Losing a development/business etc and going bankrupt still hurts, and hurts a lot. But if you have a correct structure in place you do not need to lose everything.

You are creating a vehicle (the finance trust) that contains the majority of your wealth, for the benefit of your family and with very little chance of losing it. To get to this trust a litigator or liquidator would need to successfully argue that the structure is an alter ego of the beneficiary. Very hard and very expensive thing to do.

This structure can also stop litigation at the first instance. When a no win no fee lawyer looks at taking on a client they have 2 big concerns:

1. Is there an actual claim; and
2. If successful can the party being sued pay (pref insurance).

The biggest judgement in the world is useless if you are unable to get any money.

By taking a second mortgage over a property or a charge over a business (assuming that the trustee does not have a name resembling the person being sued) , a no win no fee guy does a search on the property and sees that it has a second mortgage. So if the claim is not one where there is an insurer to pay then you are already placing doubt in the no win no fee guy's mind. If they are in one of the bigger practices then there is no shortage of people coming through the door and it may not go further. If it does go further, your entity is a secured creditor anyway.

thanks for the replies, lots of info there!
at risk of sounding like a newb -Another question - how do i decide on which structure to use?
We're looking to buy, reno, sell and perhaps in a few years start keeping a few properties to rent out whilst continuing to "flip" properties. My husband and i will be the only involved parties in the business and will be self funded as we have built up cashflow over our previous property sales and once our current property subdivision and new build is completed and sold we will be able to finance the next one with no bank assistance.
We are looking at property in nsw for the near future and would appreciate any recommendations of someone that is an expert in all of the accounting/legal facets of such a business in the Wollongong area?:confused:

How to decide on struccture?

This is how I do it, and it is an art and not a science, so there is no tight or wrong 'structure' some set ups are better than others and whatever you choose there wil be some compromises.

You should seek legal advice and tax advice before setting up a structure.

You go through all the factors you should consider

Income Tax

CGT

GST

Asset Protection upon bankruptcy

Asset Protection upon death

Asset Protection upon Family Law issues

Effect of incapacity on control

Stamp duty on purchase of property including land, units, shares

Stamp duty on subsequent transfer

Stamp duty on change in control issues. e.g change in ownership of shares or units

Land tax on current value

Land tax on growth in assets

Landrich or Landholder duty

Ability to borrow

Ability to borrow further in the event of a credit impairment

Ability to limit personal guarantees

Ability to transfer to a SMSF in the future

Social Security - control person and other family members

Associated Issues

Gift or loan?
Div 7A issues
Deductibility of interest
Is it a commercial transaction?
Is it a market value transaction?

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the costs associated with discussing/ setting up such business with a lawyer/accountant and is it possible to find one that can do both/all?:eek:

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the costs associated with discussing/ setting up such business with a lawyer/accountant and is it possible to find one that can do both/all?:eek:

I charge $550 for a structure meeting. See my website for my quals

I charge $550 for a structure meeting. See my website for my quals

Terry could you also advise on the costs associated with setting up a company( trustee) and a unit trust?
also how are ongoing dealings with you price structured
ie: tax, new trusts

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your assistance :)

Terry could you also advise on the costs associated with setting up a company( trustee) and a unit trust?
also how are ongoing dealings with you price structured
ie: tax, new trusts

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your assistance :)

I charge $1100 for a company including legal advice and $1650 for a trust including legal advice. Can apply for a private ruling from nsw fixed unit trust too included in fee.

On going fees are $240 asic fee per year for company.
Trust will need a tax return which would vary depending on what the trust owns and how complex it is.

Back