Property Development Mag

Maybe with the expertise of people on this forum maybe we can put together some stickied posts that cover these topics ????

Im thinking Grossreal, JoannaK, Michael Yardney ???

"Architect vs Draftsman, the pros and cons"
"Checklist of what to look for in a developer when shopping your plans"
"Overcoming the council dragon, anticipate the likely issues"
"Site designs for the unconventional site"
"Assessing market needs, how to define an appropriate quality spec"
"Maximising land value, quantity vs quality of buildings"
"Getting to Yes, how to build a feasibility study that your banker will accept"
"What not to include in your landscaping design"
"The hidden traps for new developers, what costs you can avoid with some forethought"

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the forum.

I have subscribed to your magazine after being sent a complimentary copy by the PCA, and I think it's great. I was quite excited to see it as it is definately filling a void in the market.

Personally, I enjoy reading about what the big boys are doing, and the techniques they employ to achieve what they do, but I have to agree with the above comments that if you want to capture a larger readership you'll need to also cater to the novice, smaller and medium sized developers as well.

One really unusual comment though...the paper or ink that is used to print the magazines really smells bad...it actually gives me a headache so I can only read the magazine in small bursts.

i have subscribed to the mag as couldn't find it anywhere in newcastle. i agree with the above comments that i would like to see more on middle-size developments. probably not as small as duplexes, but perhaps a four-eight townhouse set or small apartment block - even going so far as someone buying a "block" and renovating the entire complex ... something that the majority of mum and dad developers can sink their teeth into and, if not already there, aspire to in the nearish future. i can't see many of us getting to the point of 200 lot subdivisions or tropical resorts etc within the forseeable future.

on a personal note i find the high gloss pages really hard to read as they reflect the light - any chance of reducing to a mid gloss (which would probably reduce printing costs as well).

thanks

Last edited:
I too have also subscribed to the magazine as I found it hard to buy in newsagents.

As for ideas, maybe you could include small to big developments such as buying a block of land and building 4 units on it. But what is really important to include is cost projections, showing cost for land purchase,holding cost, building and materials cost, and last of all show profit margins. So that small developers can learn how to achieve this. Would also be great to see how they do it with large developments such as 200 apartments complex as well.

Maybe do a profile on a developer such as Sunland and there building Q1 or circle on cavill. Ask for there thoughts or any advice they could pass on to the readers. Or how they started in the industry.

If the magazine could include "How to" topics it would be great learning tool as well.

Thanks for the feedback people.

I appreciate those comments and, generally, agree.

I'd like to serialise some professional development material on property development in a way that appeals to smaller/newer/wanna be developers.

I will probably introduce the sort of changes suggested in the new year.

Hoping to get a DVD out with the Christmas issue, including interviews with all the major players giving their predictions for 2007. Do you think that would be interesting?

ross450fse said:
Hoping to get a DVD out with the Christmas issue, including interviews with all the major players giving their predictions for 2007. Do you think that would be interesting?
You bet!

Thanks for the ongoing participation and for taking on the feedback provided.

Regards,
Michael (Small time wannabe developer)

ross450fse said:

That would be great! I'd certainly be interested in that.

ross450fse said:
bloody oath!!

name of magazine

hi there, went to local newsagent and they have a mag called 'residential development magazine'....is that the 1??? from above posts i read that the mag is called 'residential developer magazine'?? can you please clear this up for me!

Thanks

my copy is on my desk - "residential developer magazine"

finally finished ploughing through it and got some interesting stuff out, but i hope they do take on board the comments re smaller developments as, i afraid, not many of us are quite up to 200 lot subdivisions or 96 story apartment towers. tho interesting, they hold no relevance to my at all. it did find many of the stories purely technical as well rather than how the development proceeded and what steps were taken during certain stages.

i think that would be much more interesting as those who are in the know, or at that stage already, don't have much to learn from a publication such as this.

Back