Property investment courses/seminars

Hi everyone,

I'm new to property investing and to this forum. I just wanted to know if there are any free or low cost courses and/or seminars out there that people are willing to recommend. I'm aware that there are many courses that cost thousands of dollars however I don't wish to fork out that kind of money...I'd rather put it towards a property.

I'm really excited about the prospect of owning my first investment property and would like to build a knowledge base from which I can make better informed decisions.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction...but until then I'll keep reading the various topics on this site. It seems like a great resource.:)

Regards
Sold.

There's much more better info here than any course or seminar.
At a course or seminar you cant dispute what is being told (more like sold)
here most of them dont last long because experienced investors know better.

Hi sold,

I'd recommend reading all you can lay your hands on.

If you can pin down a strategy first that suits your wealth goals, then you will be able to decide which sort of property fits those goals. No point buying something if it's only going to hold you back from purchasing your next one.

Eg:

Are you able to negatively gear a property or will you have to rely on the rent to cover most of the outgoings?

Do you believe apartments/flats fit your investing strategy better than houses?

Do you like the 'tried & true' blue chip suburbs (their relative safety is also debatable of late), or prefer to take a punt on a possible boom area?

Is a trust structure needed to hold your properties or do you feel comfortable with them being in your name only? (The correct setup with loans is also vital to you being able to move forward & purchase more.)

Oh, one last thing, don't listen to all the naysayers who will give you a million reasons not to invest in property...usually when you ask how many properties they have or if they've ever bought & sold, they'll sheepishly admit 'no'.

Good luck, happy reading!

Agree with above.

I went to a few free seminars.
Think and Grow Rich in Property for example. A lot of these type of courses have different speakers all pushing their course. Good to go to one at leat I think. Just don't get roped into spending thousands on a course.

Get the free DVD's, books etc. Chat with people and leave. If there is a strategy that you find interesting research some more online/here/in books etc.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to property investing and to this forum. ......................................................but until then I'll keep reading the various topics on this site. It seems like a great resource.:)

Regards
Sold.

Hi ya Sold. Welcome to our world. :)

I am very grateful for this forum and the people I have met from it and the information I glean each and every time I log on and some of my own opinion that may help others. It's a great community of sharing.

There is a saying.............. "that we don't know what we've got until we lose it" ................... but it's also true "that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives" ;) .................you are at the right place :D

Nothing wrong with courses per se; I've done my share. But as you are a person new to this game, devour this site. You will then lead your own path of further reading and education.

Choose how you spend your precious time wisely

Hi Sold & welcome.

I would recommend choosing seminars based on value rather than cost.

You usually get what you pay for.

So if it’s free, ask yourself at what point do you pay & how much.

If you look for seminars, ne clear about what you want.

Then check out the background of the presenters, their qualifications and experiences in the area you are interested in.

I don’t have a problem paying for the right seminars for the right reasons.

In the meantime there are some excellent publications out there especially Australian Property Investor, Your Investment Property & Money Magazine.

Also delve deep into this forum. It has many excellent well-informed contributors & they are an enthusiastic bunch.

Philip

Seminars can be useful but remember they ALL have something to sell that you should not let pass you by ;).
Only bring enough money to buy your lunch and refreshments and definitely don't bring your credit card with you. Don't sign anything as you can easily get caught up in the moment whereas in the cold light of day you have more perspective.
Subscribe to free property newsletters, get the property mags and read as many books as possible. Apart from specific property books, mindset books are just as important in my opinion.
This forum and the monthly meetings are invaluable and quite balanced and honest I find. Building a network and spending time with like minded property investors will play a significant part in your journey.

Good luck and enjoy.

Hi Sold and welcome to the forum

As others have already so eloquently said before me, there's a wealth of information here and on other investment forums. Get used to using the search function- it's extremely handy and revealing :D

Ask questions by all means but also check out the sticky FAQ's as there's been many questions asked by new investors over the years which you may find useful.

Can I suggest that, before you jump right in, to get your current finances assessed to see how much you can (or feel comfortable) borrowing? Once you have a budget to work from it gets much easier :)

The funny thing about free seminars is that they are usually designed to sell:

- OTP in another state which is "booming"
- Tickets to a property boot camp. This one not so free, like 4k
- The above two options failing, at least a couple of books or DVDs

If I were you Sold, I'd go get that library card and hit up all the books by Somers, Spann, Lomas, etc.

i find the motivation and hunger that seminars provide can be valuable, but i have learnt more through my own ground work, forum activity and book reading than 4k ever got me. i think the one thing i gained from it was that i knew that real estate investment would be my vehicle to financial freedom.

Learning by doing

i find the motivation and hunger that seminars provide can be valuable, but i have learnt more through my own ground work, forum activity and book reading than 4k ever got me. i think the one thing i gained from it was that i knew that real estate investment would be my vehicle to financial freedom.

Ben, you make a good point here, seminars can be very motivational.

Keep in mind that learning is continuos. it doesn't stop the day you leave school. It doesn't stop when you leave tech, college or uni. It doesn't stop when you finish home study, the latest book, or a seminar. It stops the day you do.

We also need to keep in mind that while continuous learning is essential so is continuous action. There is nothing quite like learning by doing!!!

Philip

Back