Property Manager has been caught out

I am hoping that somebody can shine some light on the situation I am in. I am a landlord and I have found out that my property manager is very good friends with my tenants. She has not told me this and she doesnt know that I know this. I want to change real estates, but I don't know if I have good enough grounds to leave without having to give the 90 days notice. I had a gut feeling all along that something was fishy, as she never seemed to be working for us, but instead the tenants.
We have been displeased with our PM's management. She constantly delays sending out our statements. Our fortnightly payments are never paid on time, and constantly different amounts are paid to us, which make it extremely difficult for us to know where we are paid up to. I have spoken to her about our payments on countless occasions. Furthermore, when we first had the house up for rent, it seemed as though she was holding back the property to the public. She failed to upload pictures of the house onto the internet, and after two weeks of the house being vacant, she advertised it in the newspaper, but quickly got us to sign the tenants before the ad was published.( I realise now she had been keeping the property for her friends).
Our recent inspection was two Fridays ago, and I still havent received our report back. She has told me that there is a termite issue that I want sorted out ASAP and she is asking me to wait until late next week before going over there to look at the property!
I fear that there is other people living at the property and she is giving them time to clear up the evidence before we go over there to look at the termite issue.
Is there a law against PM's renting out to their friends? Isnt it a conflict of interest?
I want to personally speak with the real estate owner and let them know what has been going on, but I dont know where I stand, and what rights I have. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am hoping that somebody can shine some light on the situation I am in. I am a landlord and I have found out that my property manager is very good friends with my tenants. She has not told me this and she doesnt know that I know this. I want to change real estates, but I don't know if I have good enough grounds to leave without having to give the 90 days notice. I had a gut feeling all along that something was fishy, as she never seemed to be working for us, but instead the tenants.
We have been displeased with our PM's management. She constantly delays sending out our statements. Our fortnightly payments are never paid on time, and constantly different amounts are paid to us, which make it extremely difficult for us to know where we are paid up to. I have spoken to her about our payments on countless occasions. Furthermore, when we first had the house up for rent, it seemed as though she was holding back the property to the public. She failed to upload pictures of the house onto the internet, and after two weeks of the house being vacant, she advertised it in the newspaper, but quickly got us to sign the tenants before the ad was published.( I realise now she had been keeping the property for her friends).
Our recent inspection was two Fridays ago, and I still havent received our report back. She has told me that there is a termite issue that I want sorted out ASAP and she is asking me to wait until late next week before going over there to look at the property!
I fear that there is other people living at the property and she is giving them time to clear up the evidence before we go over there to look at the termite issue.
Is there a law against PM's renting out to their friends? Isnt it a conflict of interest?
I want to personally speak with the real estate owner and let them know what has been going on, but I dont know where I stand, and what rights I have. Has anyone else had this problem?

mmmm not good

another question I would be ask

Is the property at the current market Price? or was it when they moved in?

I don’t believe they have to tell you it’s a friend but if it’s a family member that a different story.

I wouldn’t give them the choice regarding the 90days notice

Pick a new agent and get them to manage it for free for the first 90days

That way there is no costs out of your pocket and you can move now

Technically there shouldnt be a conflict of interest, although in this case it sounds like that perhaps there may be...

I have leased properties out to friends before, i will never do it again because friends tend to expect special treatment and then that puts you (As a PM) in a difficult position!

there arent any laws against it tho, but that doesnt mean that you dont have any recourse against complaining to the agency principle because you property isnt being managed properly or stop you from changing agents..

Technically there shouldnt be a conflict of interest, although in this case it sounds like that perhaps there may be...

I have leased properties out to friends before, i will never do it again because friends tend to expect special treatment and then that puts you (As a PM) in a difficult position!

there arent any laws against it tho, but that doesnt mean that you dont have any recourse against complaining to the agency principle because you property isnt being managed properly or stop you from changing agents..

Its the same i would never let one of my PM rent a property from my rent roll

asking for trouble

yes I agree sounds like a conflict of interest. I would express it as a concern rather than a blame, stay professional, outline the facts that went wrong and ask them to waive the 90 day notice.

is the management agreement technically expired?

If they do not give it to you then commence the notice to terminate the agreement immediately after.

is the management agreement technically expired?
No they have a good 8 months left of the lease to go. But I am confident now that I can terminate the agreement without notice and not be out of pocket.

Is the property at the current market Price? or was it when they moved in?
As far as we know its at the current market price. We told the PM that we wanted a certain price for the property after we did some researching, and we are getting the asking price, so no problems there. The tenants pay their rent on time and look after the property from what we can tell. The problem I believe is with the property manager.

Is there more than one PM at the agency you're with? Perhaps it would be simpler to have your property moved to someone else in the agency you're currently with (or atleast, have it moved and then give your 90 days notice).

The management agreement with the agency is usually different to the lease with the tenants. It is the management agreement you want to terminate... right?

If so you can give them 60 -90 days notice (depending on the agreement with them) once the exclusive agency period has lapsed.

The management agreement with the agency is usually different to the lease with the tenants. It is the management agreement you want to terminate... right?

If so you can give them 60 -90 days notice (depending on the agreement with them) once the exclusive agency period has lapsed.

Yes its the management agreement that we want to terminate. I dont believe that they have another property manager there. I dont trust the real estate. I dont get good vibes from them at all.

I've never rented to friends & never been presented with that ethical dilemma, however I have rented to friends of friends and I have always told the landlord what their relationship is with me because it goes towards their references at the start. It gives me a more reliable base to start from than talking to someone I don't know over the phone. It is then up to the landlord to decide.

Goofy is right - friends do often expect special treatment but it really depends on the person too as it can work the other way - if this friend is a self conscious person or a bit of a neat freak they will go out of their way to be good tenants because it would affect their social network if they don't.

I guess what it really comes down to is whether or not you trust your property manager. It sounds like you don't. I would move on.

Kind regards,
Jody

I still haven't received our inspection report.:mad: I called the real estate last week to arrange a time to go to the property to have a look at a maintenance issue, and I am still waiting for the PM to call me back to let me know what time we can go there. I even told her that today was the only day this week that I can arrange to go over there.
I'm currently in the middle of shopping around for another PM at another real estate. Hopefully this will be all over with by the end of the week.

Back