Property Manager has just forwarded invoices to me

Lol how I would love to say this, but best not to inflame the situation right now.

Their next response was:
We are happy to pay any invoices for work that our tradespeople conduct however due to the fact these tradespeople are not on our list of approved tradespeople nor do we have copies of their relevant insurances or a signed contractor appointment places us at risk therefore we no longer process work orders or payments.

The reason behind the decision is we have recently been served with an order from a tenant making a claim for damages and our insurance company has instructed us that in future all work arranged by owners with tradespeople should be referred to the owner for payments and or processing. My apologies however this is now the office policy and I have been instructed that this is now policy.

Anyway, we have come to an agreement where they will pay the invoices for work already completed. I still haven't decided whether this reduction of service is reasonable and bummed I can't use my preferred trades.

Computer says no!

I believe (from reading the comments) that they may have confused the situation with the insurance companies view.

"our insurance company has instructed us that in future all work arranged by owners with tradespeople should be referred to the owner for payments and or processing."

In this situation, I believe the work has in fact been arranged by and then viewed by the office, so that is different. Yes, just get the contractor forms completed, and they will be in compliance with their insurers request.

If the work is arranged and then viewed by the owner, then those invoices should be paid by the owner, not through the agent, who may then become liable. That's my read of it.

Back