Property managers mates with tenant?

Hi all just recently bought first IP with girlfriend in Whyalla SA. When we looked at the place originally to buy the tennants were in the house (young couple with baby) and they were very friendly with the real estate agent who told us how good tenants they were.
Fast forward to now and it appears there is starting to be a bit of a squeeze on whyallas rental market. The rate they are paying of 265 a week for a home in the good end of town is appearing to be very much on the low side. So yesterday I get an email from the PM ( who happens to be around the same age as the tennants) saying the tennants are thinking about buying a house towards the end of the year and would like a periodic lease with the following details:
Tennants only have to give 21 days notice if moving out
Landlord has to give tennants 60 days notice before eviction
Rent stays at 265 a week
What I found really strange is that the currentH 6 month lease doesn't end until July 20. Why is the property manager trying to get me to agree to a new lease 70 days before the current one ends?
Do the days notice seem fair to me? My view is that she is looking after her friend and trying to lock in a low rate for them before rents get squeezed higher.
Im going to sit on it for a while wait and see what happens.
Is this standard practice or is something up? New to this so opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Quick search of SA residential tenancies laws -

• Landlord must generally give minimum of 60 days notice to evict (varies up to 90 days)
  • Tenant must give minimum 21 days to vacate
  • Tenant must be given at least 60 days notice of rental increase

All seems above board, but if you think the rent is low, ask for an increase to be sent tomorrow of what you believe is fair.

Tenancies Act here

If you think rents are going to go up in your area then i would sit and wait. You don't need to make a decision this early if you don't want to. Mind you, you have to give 2 months/60 days notice to put up the rent so that might be why your property manager is saying something now, in case you do actually want to put it up.

Ask the pm to contact you again 1 week before the lease is up. Then adjust according to conditions then. Not now.

You could take advantage knowing the tenant wants to build later this year.

Put the rent up to the higher end of the market knowing it wont be worth their while moving for a few months before the new home is ready.

Since you know they are going anyway, why not make a bit more money while they are there.

Back