Property near Sydney CBD

Hi all,

First of all, great forum. I was recommended to this site by whirlpool, and the info available looks great.

I'm a 22 y/o in final year of studies, looking to purchase a property somewhere close to the Sydney CBD which will be convenient for full time work next year, but also has potential for good yield overtime. At the moment, I live south-west and it takes a good 60 minutes public transport / 45- 60 minute drive to get to the city.

I have about $80-100k saved up for a deposit, and I guess my question is...

If you were in my position, would you use that money to buy a property near the city, and live in it? If so, would you recommend a 1br/1 garage in the city, or a 2br/1 garage in a suburb around 10-15minutes away? OR, should I use that money for investment purposes, buy a house in an area with potential for growth (irrespective of how close/far it is form the city), and stay at home with the parents for as long as I can stand.

I suggest checking prices, then talk to a mortgage broker about how much you can borrow. Then you'll know whether your options are realistic or not.

I suggest checking prices, then talk to a mortgage broker about how much you can borrow. Then you'll know whether your options are realistic or not.

How about we assume that I can borrow a $400k loan - $100k deposit/80%LVR (so willing to purchase property valued at up to $500k)

Back