Property purchase using SMSF funds?

Hi nonrecourse

I understand your point however;

If your not prepared to guarantee your position with 40%-50% equity why would you put that amount of equity at risk in the first place? Sounds like the your "investment strategy" in this instance is purely speculative and obviously not suited to a SMSF.
Mike F some great posts.
I think nonrecourse was suggesting that the reason some banks may offer 40%-50% equity, is to reduce possible risk not only to themselves but to the borrower..
It might appeal to me, for example, because I like to have cash reserves of 2 years life style should my employment suddenly terminate. With a higher loan amount my reserves would be more quickly diminished.

Sounds like you have all been sucked in by the banks strong position with regards this product. You can get a 70% LVR and not have to sign Personal guarantees but some of these big players are wanting their cake, eating it then blowing it back in your face for good measure.

Really, we'd need a meteorite to hit the planet for a property to drop by 30% in the areas where the banks are lending for the warrants. At 50-60% LVR and personal guarantees these lenders are having a lend of you.

This product has so many tax advantages and if your cash position, investment strategy and expertise allows it then gearing into a property at 70 or 80% will allow you to have a very fruitful retirement on tax free funds.

It's up to you to choose the right properties though and formulate your strategy.

Limited recourse and Scottish bankers

Hi nonrecourse

I understand your point however;

If your not prepared to guarantee your position with 40%-50% equity why would you put that amount of equity at risk in the first place? Sounds like the your "investment strategy" in this instance is purely speculative and obviously not suited to a SMSF.

Hi Mike you obviously do not understand my point. Why if as a sophisticated investor where I am providing 40 to 50% of the capital to purchase a commercial property with an income sufficient from the super fund to pay down the warrant would you or the bank want a personal guarantee? In my fiscal space a," limited recourse loan" means just that. What your proposing is that I provide more security than the investment is worth.

As for the speculative musings of a money lender who sells to the highest bidder I'll let that one pass to the keeper:p

That reminds me of an old scottish grandmothers refrain, " Never a lender or a borrower be"

super borrowing

Great discussion - there isone lender I have found whowill do 70% lend to super with now personal guarantees. They are called Calliva and they apparently have money from th eroyal bank of scotland - trust those scots!!

despite what others have written in this thread - it is not legal to give personal guarantee - or if you do you risk paying 46% tax on your super

Negative gearing property in a superfund where the super fund sold the property after age 60, would mean the negative gearing would be wasted, since no tax after age 60.
Is there any benefit with negative gearing if the property is never sold and at what point?

Hi Mike you obviously do not understand my point. Why if as a sophisticated investor where I am providing 40 to 50% of the capital to purchase a commercial property with an income sufficient from the super fund to pay down the warrant would you or the bank want a personal guarantee? In my fiscal space a," limited recourse loan" means just that. What your proposing is that I provide more security than the investment is worth.

As for the speculative musings of a money lender who sells to the highest bidder I'll let that one pass to the keeper:p

That reminds me of an old scottish grandmothers refrain, " Never a lender or a borrower be"

Hi Nonrecourse

The lender does not/can not have recourse to other SMSF assets/income outside of the sole asset to be funded. Herein lies the lenders problem.

Because the legislation is very clear on this point (limited recourse to SMSF's other assets/income is a must) then the lender can only look at the income solely derived from the purchased property to service the loan.

If the rental income from the property (and most lenders will only take into account a net income after discounting for agents fees & a vacancy factor, normally 20-30% in total) is insufficient to cover repaying the loan over an acceptable period, then they will want you (the member) to support/guarantee it.

If you look in isolation to the sole rental being obtained from the property, I'm guessing your LVR will need be down to around at least 40% or less to get serviceability on a stand alone basis to meet their guidelines.

So whilst the SMSF position obtains a "limited recourse" position with the lender you as the member will unfortunately be required to be added as a guarantor. In return for this a better interest rate may be offered.

I know that there are lenders doing non-recourse to members but they are charging what I consider to be very high rates (think Macquarie Property Lever at approx. 10%pa) for very little risk at LVR's 55% and below.

I've done the numbers and I'd rather be borrowing at a much lower rate inside an SMSF than being charged considerably more just to say I'm not a guarantor.

Great discussion - there isone lender I have found whowill do 70% lend to super with now personal guarantees. They are called Calliva and they apparently have money from th eroyal bank of scotland - trust those scots!!

Despite what others have written in this thread - it is not legal to give personal guarantee - or if you do you risk paying 46% tax on your super

Hi vfarr

Welcome aboard.

The Calliva product is now considered old school and was developed under the old "Instalment Warrant" days. If you compare their costs against what is now available under the new legislation you will be surpised.

On the point of guarantees, not sure why you would think that by giving a guarantee you risk paying 46% tax but I'd be interested to know more of your thoughts. My tax advice is that there should be no problem as the salary sacrifice laws with regard to SMSF's are I believe quiet clear.

It seems highly suspect for banks to require personal guarantees for limited recourse loan. It almost sounds like an oxymoron.

Yes Mike, Calliva have to face the competition now and have mainly dealt with commercial property.

Mry, Personal Guarantees still allow for investors to have asset protection from 3rd parties but our good friends the banks really want too much. Competition over the next few months will bring out the best product and if that product has all the benefits but beats the others on interest rate then the others will have to fall into line.

Pat
personal guarantees are a problem for super - if the guarantor does not get paid for giving th guarantee there is "non arms length" income - this is taxed at teh top marginal rate and so seems to defeat the purpose of investing in super!!

Also the benefit of the guarantee (lower interest rates) is an asset acquired from a related party - a breach of s66. At best it makes your fund nonocmplying - at worst you can go to jail.

An adviser could get penalised (big fines) under the promoter penalties for tax avoidance.

Bad news

Anyway Calliva arent even much more expensive than lo doc outside super - why would you risk it for 0.5%!!

Hi Nonrecourse

The lender does not/can not have recourse to other SMSF assets/income outside of the sole asset to be funded. Herein lies the lenders problem.

Because the legislation is very clear on this point (limited recourse to SMSF's other assets/income is a must) then the lender can only look at the income solely derived from the purchased property to service the loan.

If the rental income from the property (and most lenders will only take into account a net income after discounting for agents fees & a vacancy factor, normally 20-30% in total) is insufficient to cover repaying the loan over an acceptable period, then they will want you (the member) to support/guarantee it.

If you look in isolation to the sole rental being obtained from the property, I'm guessing your LVR will need be down to around at least 40% or less to get serviceability on a stand alone basis to meet their guidelines.

So whilst the SMSF position obtains a "limited recourse" position with the lender you as the member will unfortunately be required to be added as a guarantor. In return for this a better interest rate may be offered.

I know that there are lenders doing non-recourse to members but they are charging what I consider to be very high rates (think Macquarie Property Lever at approx. 10%pa) for very little risk at LVR's 55% and below.

I've done the numbers and I'd rather be borrowing at a much lower rate inside an SMSF than being charged considerably more just to say I'm not a guarantor.

Hi mike you have got to be pulling our collective legs on this one really!

Point 1; The investor is providing 50% of the funds so in the event the property is repossessed by the bank even in a firesale the bank is going to make a profit.

Point 2; We are talking about a commercial lease minimum 5 years in Victoria with either a suitable bond and or tenant personal guarantee's. All outgoings are met by the tenant including the single unit holding land tax if the tenant is an ASX publically listed company. The 30% discount on the rental income belongs in a past era when banks charged mums and dads an extra 2% for investment properties!!!

Point 3;In order for a super fund to put up 50% of the deposit it would have to be generating some decent cash flow from either other business property and or dividend income. Are you suggesting the bank would discount this income too?

Point 4;I'm quoting you here Mike "The lender can only look at the income solely derived from the purchased property to service the loan." Why? If this sentance was true then you wouldn't need a guarantee for the salary sacrifice. My legal and accounting advice on paying out the warrant installments is that I can use the income from the super fund as well as my 9% manditory contributions.

Point 5;This product is not for mums and dads with limited super assets. For a small business that has a reasonable cash flow and wishes to secure the business property it operates from it would make sense. Provided their super fund had sufficient assets to provide the first warrant installment and a sufficient rental or dividend income from existing investments there would be no funding issue. The rent the business would pay for use of the building which could be set at the top commercial rate (determined by a valuer or real estate agent) which the business would claim as a deduction. The rent recieved by the super fund would pay a concessional 15% contribution tax. If the building is large enough part of it could be sublet bringing in further income to pay down the outstanding amount quicker.

Prior to August 11th 1999 when SMSF's were no longer allowed to use unit trusts to borrow to purchase business property many small businesses had successfully applied the principles I have outlined in point 5. The recent amendments provides better protection than the previous outlawed method.

Mike under these circumstances as explained above there is no justification for a bank to require a personal guarantee. Under normal commercial arrangements I have purchased a commercial property with as little as a 20% with a personal guarantee. Why would I give you 50% and a guarantee?

I have written to senator Sherry Minister for superannuation to alert the government to this subversion of the intent of the super reforms regarding SMSF's investing in real business property through limited recourse loans.
Clearly the banks are having a punt on this and it is deceptive marketing to suggest it is a limited recourse loan.

The simple solution is to make it illegal for either a trustee or a beneficiary of the SMSF to give a guarantee for a "limited recourse loan to an SMSF".

If the commercial property the SMSF wishes to purchase does not stack up as I have described then the banks should refuse to finance it full stop.

It seems highly suspect for banks to require personal guarantees for limited recourse loan. It almost sounds like an oxymoron.

Thats the part I'm still puzzled with. Its a slap in the face to the legislators who specifically mentions that all loans including break costs and fees associated to the loan must be non-recourse within the super fund. So the fund signs the loan docs that says it must be non-recourse, otherwise it will fall foul of SIS. How then does a liability exist that requires a personal guarantee because the loan which you are guaranteeing is in itself non-recourse? Any of the brokers ask the banks this? Are they drafting a "special" kind of "guarantee"??

Pat
personal guarantees are a problem for super - if the guarantor does not get paid for giving th guarantee there is "non arms length" income - this is taxed at teh top marginal rate and so seems to defeat the purpose of investing in super!!

Also the benefit of the guarantee (lower interest rates) is an asset acquired from a related party - a breach of s66. At best it makes your fund nonocmplying - at worst you can go to jail.

An adviser could get penalised (big fines) under the promoter penalties for tax avoidance.

Bad news

Anyway Calliva arent even much more expensive than lo doc outside super - why would you risk it for 0.5%!!

Hi vfarr,

The personal guarantee is outside Super so it doesn't contravene the SIS rules

Hi vfarr,

Thanks Pat but why would you need a guarantee at all if the loan you are guaranteeing is non-recourse? I suppose the question is how can it be structured. As usual, put this to my useless RM at Westpac and they came back with... Credit has not provided the underwriting guidelines and procedures yet so I can't help you... Thanks!

Guarantees are problematic

Hi vfarr,

Pat/Mike

Regardless of whehter it makes sense or not commercially - the point I was making is that the guarantee is aproblem from a tax viewpoint. And in any event if you compare the no guarantee product (Calliva) to the others there is not much saving (0.5-1%).

Let me explain the problem. PAt you are an accountant from looking at your website - you really should know better.

The giving of a guantee by a memeber of the superfund in support of a borrowing by the superfund will give rise to special income (now called non arms length income (DIV 295-550 in the 1997 tax act) because the super funds income is higher than it would be had the parties actd at arms length. The giver of the guarantee is not paid a commercial fee for accepting th erisk of the guarntee. Therefore th edivision mentioned will tax th eincome of the super fund at 46.5%.

Furthermore, the superfund is acquiring an asset form the member (being the benefit of the guarantee). Admittedly the benefit is actually recieevd indirectly via the lender - but s66 has an anti avoidance clause which will catch this. This makes it a prohibiuted acquisition. Fund non complying - taxed at 46.5%. BAD NEWS!!

Not sure whether I should take your advice vfarr or Westpac and the big law firms? Maybe I should know better but I'm not paid $650 per hour to research it and give advice to the big end of town like the big Tax Lawyers.

Despite all this you are right in that the spirit of the law did not intend this to happen and I believe the giving of personal guarantees will be disallowed by a law amendment.

Ours will be a no guarantee product similar to Calliva with the ability to lend against Residential or Commercial Property.

Let the fun continue.

Whilst the loan is non-recourse it is about protecting the superfunds assets.

The nature of the loan means that in the event of default the lender can only go after the property purchased, not other assets within the fund... no bank is going to offer that unless the LVR is significantly reduced like Macquaries product.

Taking a guarantee from the individual tieing in assets from outside the superfund isn't tieing in income, banks take guarantees for asset recovery not income...

Afterall the individual outside the superfund is a contributer to the superfund and they are taxed on their earnings also, so there is no taxation issue here with a guarantee... you will find that this is allowed and the risk to the individual is no greater than today...

Just remember once its in s SMSF it stays there... that;s why it is non recourse!

Back