Purchase by a trust, what's entered as the buyer's details?

Hi All

Simple question, if I am purchasing land into a family trust (that has a corporate trustee), what is filled in as the buyer's details? simply the name of the trust?

thanks.

Check with your accountant or whomever set the trust up but it's usually something like XYZ Pty Ltd ATF ABC Family Trust.

Hi All

Simple question, if I am purchasing land into a family trust (that has a corporate trustee), what is filled in as the buyer's details? simply the name of the trust?

thanks.

A trust doesn't exist, it is simply a relationship. So the answer is the legal owner which will be the trustee. But it is common in some states to list the trust name on the contract as well. Seek advice from your property lawyer.

A trust doesn't exist, it is simply a relationship. So the answer is the legal owner which will be the trustee. But it is common in some states to list the trust name on the contract as well. Seek advice from your property lawyer.

Depends on which Law you refer to Terry - and correct me if I am wrong...

but as far as the land administration is concerned - then yes - the trust is simply a relationship and therefore only the trustee is listed on the title.

As far as taxation law is concerned the trust is a separate entity, and therefore is treated as such from a tax perspective.
The only way the tax office is able to recognise that a property is owned but the trust (and not the trustee) is by referring back to the O&A - which should state that the property is being purchased by 'XYZ Pty Ltd atft ABC Family Trust' - though only the corporate entity will show on the title.

As you stated in a later post the OP should refer back to the lawyer who set the entities up - as it is state dependant.

Blacky

Back