Purchaser already redirected mail to me.

So I wasn't very happy with my purchaser (accepted bottom end of range) and the day after cooling off they start to have their mail sent to me.

I actually want to extend settlement, but if their is refusal, wouldn't such an act be a breach of contract?

What part of the contract would it breach? Is their a condition that mail can not be sent to you?

I am not looking to exit the contract but breach in taking early possession of the mailbox. I do not need the purchasers financial particulars.

But knowing how the purchaser (new arrival) lied about everything and the real estate agent was obviously oblivious to the lies I want to use this as my reason to extend settlement.

I gave up many things and the lie has been found.

I am not looking to exit the contract but breach in taking early possession of the mailbox. I do not need the purchasers financial particulars.

But knowing how the purchaser (new arrival) lied about everything and the real estate agent was obviously oblivious to the lies I want to use this as my reason to extend settlement.

Really? Really??? Good luck with that one buddy! Best bet, is to either put it on a nice little box in your cupboard, and leave it there when you move out. Just don't let them have access to it until settlement. Or return to sender as suggested.

You chose to 'give up many things' to get your place sold. Deal with it.

pinkboy

I don't really know that you can extend settlement on the basis of the purchaser lying to you. You could simply ask (via your conveyancer) if an extended settlement would be suitable.

Have you exchanged contracts? If not, then the settlement period can still be negotiated. If you have exchanged, then you can mutually agree to change the settlement date, but if they don't agree then you're probably stuck with what is on the contract (which begs the question, why did you agree to it?)

As for the mail, big deal, but you've got about 4 choices.
1. Forward the mail to the purchaser.
2. Put the mail in a box and leave it behind when you leave (probably what I'd do because it's the easiest).
3. Mark return to sender and post it back.
4. Throw it in the bin (I think this is illegal, but nobody ever seems to care these days; this is also a bit rude on your part).

Regardless, I don't think it's worth getting upset about. Given they appear to be new immigrants, they may not have anywhere else to send it to.

a) there is clause in the contract that has been breached

b) they have not "taken early possession of the mailbox"

you need to relax a bit

So I wasn't very happy with my purchaser (accepted bottom end of range) and the day after cooling off they start to have their mail sent to me.

I actually want to extend settlement, but if their is refusal, wouldn't such an act be a breach of contract?

If you have a settlement date in the current contracts which were both signed then that is your settlement date. You can ask nicely to extend (but why do you need to, and why wasn't this in the original contract) but it is at THEIR discretion if they agree.

It is your job as the Seller to have a contract that states your terms - ie price/settlement date/conditions. If you didn't have those met then you shouldn't have accepted the offer.

Accept nothing verbally, all in writing.

If they are forwarding their mail then it could be a simple mistake from the post office where they put a form in and wanted the forwarding from a certain date but the post office disregarded that date. Unlikely is it a malicious intent.

Let them know the mail is coming and keep it for them if you wish or ask them to collect it and fix the redirection.

No big problem,,if your were not happy with the price just don't sign the contract but it's a bit late now,and why upset the buyers they can always play the game backwards on you one hour prior too the settlement and have a quick inspection find out something that is not there and delay the payment,it works both way in contract law..imho..

Back