Qld Teachers strike, any support??

Go back to School for a week & get real

Scott my wife is a primary school teacher that started teaching back in early eighties.

She has always loved teaching and of late has been acting up into other different consulting positions.

She is super organised and has programs for most grades that she may have to teach. And no teachers now days do not just teach out of a text book.
There is not a night or weekend that she does not have to program work or extra bits and pieces that the Govt just adds to what has to be taught.

And a lot is set by the Headmaster. She had a Boss a while back that was hell bent on teaching all students Asian Languages.

Hours every week were spent trying to teach kids this. Yet they could not even do basic maths or English.
Then there are all the out of school activities. Discos, Formals, Presentation nights, nights and weekends to explain new formats that are being introduced.

Then there are the parents that think little Johny does no wrong. Even if he has beaten some other kid up.

Anyone out there that thinks teachers have it easy should go back to school for a week. :p

Agree.

Most ofthe people I worked with at Cath Ed were ex-teachers who moved into school administration and higher systemic positions because they get paid a lot more and work less than when they were in the classroom. I used to share with a first year grade 6/7 teacher. She started work at around 7.00am and usually finished all her lesson plans and marking etc at around 8.00 pm. And that was for a public primary school in a lower economic area where many parents probably didn't give a damn about their kids education. If she was working for a Catholic school she would be expected to attend after hours functions, staff meetings, weekend sports/music/drama etc days, attend church and help with parish activities as well.

But that's exactly the point.

More and more people are opting for nice, clean "relatively" stress and danger free jobs that pay heaps more.

Or, they are opting for dangerous, stressful jobs that pay heaps more.

Bottom line is there will be a severe shortage of these essential services jobs in our society.

So, to glibly say; "well, if they don't like it then they should quit" is stating exactly what they are all doing.

I'm sorry, but that's not called quitting. What they are doing is normally called extortion. Quiting is when you hand in your resignation letter, or just tell the boss to f off.

And mind you, IT gets quite stressful too. Especially when the cost of your error can be hundreds of thousands.

You have to feel for the PE teacher though, they know every child in the schools but are rarely recipients of appreciation and gifts.

The classroom teacher often receives gifts from parents at year end.

Omg, I was so surprised at all the gifts hubby brought home form parents and kids in his class for the twins birth.

The lovely ladies at admin also organised a morning tea for the twins and we brought huge sushi platters. Each teacher is also in charge of someone's b'day. They seem to always having morning tea celebrations.

if you do a good job then I'm sure you will be appreciated for your hard work from the kids and parents.

After reading todays (Saturdays) Courier Mail I have no idea why state school teachers are complaining about wages...

It lists wages in most states and compares Qld teachers to other states.....

Not a bad wicket I must say compared to other jobs that have far more stress, intensity and that are back brakers..

Down slightly to Syd and Melb but the cost of living in Qld is definitely lower...WA has higher wages but cost of living there is higher I have no doubt because it is isolated somewhat.

Get back to work and stop complaining!!

There are plenty of way worse off public servants and private employees doing it way more tougher........

No wonder the govt has held its ground on this one.........

The entire school system needs an overhaul. They are still using industrialised thinking in an information era.

Children are still being labelled and drugged to perform mediocre tasks instead of encouraged to find their true passion.

It is still geared to front line defence and working for a salary instead of true leadership and independence or interdependence.

Even in top private schools some teachers still have an industrialised thinking mentality.

Many of the top schools are religious. Nothing wrong with this except that black and white thinking sometimes forms a barrier to other, possibly better, ideas and empowerment. I know because I have been there as a scientist (black and white thinking that is not religious) and it is only when I became open minded to other possibilities beyond science that I truly expanded as a human being.

If teachers have the experience to address all the current problems and set children up for true leadership and independence, especially financial independence then they have my full support at any salary.

Do as I say and not as I do hey?

absolutely not....its about being too bloody greedy to be blunt...

unions have their place and the govt has offered them more than a sufficient increase in wages....

before jumping down my throat go buy a courier mail today (saturday) and have a look at the comparison table of wages around the country for teachers............its a good lerk with incrimin pay up to from memory almost $90k after 9 years of service for many of them!

$120k plus for headmasters with 400-500 students...

start salary for those straight out of unit is well over $50k year heading towards $60k....

for what kids learn these days its not rocket science anyway..basic stuff and half of that does not prepare kids for life skills of even the basics...therein lies the issue of education...its 20 years behind the times in Australia.....and thats everyones fault for not pushing advancement in education in this country..

if teachers had better skills id have no issue with a higher wage where applicable..

its not a pittance of a wage like they are making it out to be and compatable with other states taking into account the cost of living.....

also take into consideration the added extras its a fair deal for this line of white collar work currently......

good luck

Back