Questions to ask your Financial Planner

Hi All

In the interest of covering the whole gambit :) I thought I would pull together a list of questions to ask your Financial Planner sourced from the CPAOnline website.

Questions to ask your Financial Planner

(1) Who do you represent

(2) What are your qualifications and professional designations?

(3) How long have you been in the industry and can you provide references?

(4) What services do you provide?

(5) How do you get paid for the services you provide?

(6) Do you disclose all fees and commissions in the report to the client?

(7) What research do you have to back up your recommendations?

(8) What ongoing services do you provide and at what cost?

(9) Do you have professional indemnity cover?

(10) What kind of clients do you mostly see? Young or old? Professional or unemployed?

(11) Experience in areasimportant to you: eg:taxation,superannuation, retirementplanning or social security.

How to choose a financial planner

(A) Ask family, friends and colleagues for recommendations.

(B) Set up obligation-free introductory meetings with several planners to find one with whom you are comfortable, who understands what you are after and who can satisfy your needs.

(C) Check on the planner's licence, current qualifications, and professional membership status.

(D) Don't be afraid to take your gut feelings into consideration. Gut feeling is not just an intuition, it is often the case that body language is not consistent with what is being said.

(E) As a general rule, you have to pay for good financial advice. The adviser is going to make their money somehow, and upfront fees/commissions are preferable to behind the scene perks, where the adviser may be influenced by incentives.

Main methods of charging

Plan preparation $450-$2500
Implementation & Maintenance
(a) Fee for service ($150-$350 per hour))
(b) Entry fees (up to 5% of funds being invested)
(c) Deferred entry fees (higher ongoing fee)
(d) Transaction fees ($25/switch)
(e) Brokerage
(f) Legal, accounting & other fees (ie: establishment of a family trust)
(g) Maintenance Management fees – retail (1.5-2.5% – normally deducted before return declared)
(h) Management fee – wholesale + administration fee ie: Wrap (1% wholesale fee + 1-1.5% admin fee)

CPA Australia

Kind regards

Corsa

Last edited:
Other questions I feel are important:

1. Why did you become a financial planner?

2. Do you recommend the products based on the commission structure?

3. What is the biggest mistake you've ever made in your role as a financial planner? How did you rectify it?

4. What's your investment profile?

5. At what age does your financial plan have you retiring? Are you on schedule?

------

Yes some people would consider some of these rude.

But if I'm about to employ someone to look after my financial position I have an obligation to check them out thoroughly.

Selecting a financial planner is like employing any other form of employee.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

This is a great thread and I've been thinking about financial planners for a while. Do people actually use them? I was under the impression that all they do is advise you which managed fund to subscribe to so you can retire with $xx by 20xx (and they get their retirement fund from your commission).

Am I being short sighted by developing my own financial plan? One reason I could think of to use them would be to have them review your plan because maybe you haven't thought of a couple of alternatives for investment vehicles.

Just my thoughts on the matter....I don't think I need a prefessional to tell me that I need $xx of passive income a yr to be able to retire. But they may be able to help and advise on how to go about getting that income in the timeframe I want (apart from shares, property and trusts which I can do myself with the appropriate research).

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Amanda

Ecogirl,
I have a financial planner, as you well know. Lucky for me, my financial planner is great at what he does. The large majority of planners are just glorified salesmen that are more interested in their commission than your future.
I personally see having a financial planner as being another member of my financial independence team. In my opinion, to hold the idea that you can do everything on your own is really limiting. Even Andre Agassi, the best tennis player in the world has a team of people that work to help him excell at his chosen profession.
I still remember the first meeting I had with my financial planner - which is quite amazing - I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday! - we sat down and he quickly went through some ideas of where I was at the time and where I could be in ten years, given my current circumstances.
I know without a shadow of a doubt that I wouldn't be in the position I am in now if it wasn't for this initial meeting, but at the same time I do acknowledge that many people have bad experiences with planners, especially when it comes to property.
However, if you can find a planner that suits your needs and does a good job, then I wouldn't hesitate to use their services.

Mark

Back