Quick question(s) for the brokers

It's been answered before but just want to check in the current environment:

I want to buy a PPOR with an interest-only loan.

My servicability etc is excellent, I'm a high income earner.

Will the banks do this? I'm with ANZ but can change if necessary.

Also roughly what would LMI be on a lend of $500k - around the $12k mark?

many thanks
Roosterman

Without knowing any other information, LMI will probably be around $14,000 without including stamp duty. Also you have to check whether LMI is even allowed for the property you are looking at.

A quick calculation suggested you'd be looking at about $15,840 with ANZ (includive of stamp duty).

Rates between other lenders vary from about $13,300 to about $19,350.

ANZ are known to be a bit conservative. A 90% lend with them would be reasonably straight forward. They wouldn't be my first choice for a 95% loan with interest only on a PPOR.

Hiya Rooster

In addition to whats been said

Couple of things

1. 95 % lends with many lenders are tough to get through, best to target a lender that you already have a relationship of some sort with ( not always but often gives a better result)

Your credit score is determined by a bunch of other things other than serviceability, and income ( indeed sometimes a high income can be a negative). So if your broker thinks your on the edge, then look at a lender that doesnt credit score per se, AND has inhouse LMI approval.

2. try and keep the loan amount to 500 k. The Next step up to 501 k with many LMI providers means an increase of up to 35 % on the premium : (

ta

rolf

It's been answered before but just want to check in the current environment:

I want to buy a PPOR with an interest-only loan.

My servicability etc is excellent, I'm a high income earner.

Will the banks do this? I'm with ANZ but can change if necessary.

Also roughly what would LMI be on a lend of $500k - around the $12k mark?

many thanks
Roosterman

Change your PPOR to I/O only first, should be quite straight forward with ANZ since you have good serviceability ; but will still depend on LVR, reason, security type and if LMI is involved.

Then tackle the new $500k loan- LMI prices above as advised by the boys.

Regards
Michael

Thanks for the responses guys.

I probably should have clarified - I have 2 IPs with ANZ that I plan on revaluing and topping up to 80%.

This will release $50k ($25k deposit, $25k costs).

I'm then looking at buying a property for $500k, and capitalising $10k of the LMI, so really a 97% lend. Will shop around for this new loan, although as Rolf says it could be tricky getting 97% from a new lender.

The basic premise here is that I've been paying $600 a week rent for a couple of years now, it's a nice luxury but logically I am far better off using that $30k a year to finance a $500k property I can live in

Oh you want to capitalise the LMI on a 95% lend? Certainly possible but that narrows down the number of lenders to a very few.

Existing loans with the ANZ is a plus in your favour if you've got strong servicing and you don't get flagged on exposure risk. I would be looking to make the new purchase with a different lender though.

Another option to explore would be to increase your existing loans over 80% so you only require a 90% loan against the new purchase. It's certain to cost more in LMI, but it'll probably be more comfortable for lenders risk criteria. This isn't as much 'recommendation/suggestion' as a 'worth exploring'.

yeah even if you can get the coin from ANZ might be an idea to take to another lender I reckon. That new loan will no doubt takle you borrowings to over or close to a mil?

Yes that would take me over a million with ANZ, so it may be best to look elsewhere. I'd like to leave the IPs at a maximum 80% LVR.

My circumstances are:

No dependents
No debt other than the 2 IPs (current value $900k, loans $660k)
$180k salary, been with the same employer since 1994
$50k in savings that I don't really want to spend

Surely any new lender would jump at the chance to lend me $500k at 97% LVR for a PPOR? :)

Surely you are better off saving the $15k cost of LMI and doing a 15% deposit with no LMI (I assume these deals still exist). Using $50k savings to avoid $15k expense seems a no-brainer, especially if you are earning enough that you could easily save the $50k in another year or so.

Surely you are better off saving the $15k cost of LMI and doing a 15% deposit with no LMI (I assume these deals still exist). Using $50k savings to avoid $15k expense seems a no-brainer, especially if you are earning enough that you could easily save the $50k in another year or so.

Especially if it's an PPOR....

There are many circumstances where the 15 k lmi MAY be a good investment

Some examples are

1. the property will one day become an IP
2. the 50 k can be used for challenge or opportuniyt ( say another property business or some biz venture)
3. Retain 50 k cash simply for comfort and increased risk management

85 % no lmi deals are around but do have various product restrictions,

LMI isnt for everyone, thats for sure, but by the same token, its a good fit for many even where they dont "need" to use it

ta
rolf

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.

I probably should have clarified - I have 2 IPs with ANZ that I plan on revaluing and topping up to 80%.

This will release $50k ($25k deposit, $25k costs).

Taking $ out of IP's to use as a deposit for PPOR will bring in a whole range of tax issues that you need to thnk carefully about before going down this path.

'Tis OK.

If this happens (still waiting for the vals) it will be on separate loans, and I am aware it won't be deductible.

It will more than likely be an IP in a few years hence....and the loans (and LMI) will become deductible.....

If the property will be used as an IP down the track why wouldnt you offer up your cash deposit by way of a Term Deposit and borrow 100%.

The LMI will be deductible on proportional basis over 5 Year or the Term of years whichever is the shorter and will be adjusted in year 1. You maybe able to maximise your LMI deduction and future interest claim with a little clever structuring.

Back