R codes and agents don't mix

I have seen re.com agents are saying properties are proposed R40 when they are most definitely not! I have checked with the councils and the say no def not proposed R40.

Sooo after being fed up with this false advertising I rang an agent this morning and asked how his newly advertised property is proposed r40 he then tells me how he got his info by logging onto council website???? Ummm no not there I then said that the council has said it is proposed r30 not r40.....silence

Too his credit he blamed his assistant...as only a good agent could. It took me 2 mins to get that info from the council. What do we pay these people for????? He has now changed the add on re.com

BUT here is the real issue the agent has conditioned the seller that their property is to be R40 so therefor worth more. Yet when it isn't there is never a price decrease just a change in advertising description...

Who would be paying 475+ for properties in balga if they were r30... R40 is where the value is surely

So again buyer beware.. Sorry to any good agent but I haven't found many of late... Lazy, rude, condescending liars... Rant over

So again buyer beware.. Sorry to any good agent but I haven't found many of late... Lazy, rude, condescending liars... Rant over

I haven't been having much luck with agents lately either.

I'd have titled the thread "Integrity and agents don't mix" or "Being good at your job and agents don't mix" or countless other things.

I know there are some good ones out there, but the amount of completely **** ones is mindboggling.

I was talking to an agent the other day, I was looking for very specific properties.

He was like I HAVE BEEN WORKING HERE FOR 20 YEARS AND PROPERTIES WITH RETURNS LIKE THAT DO NOT EXIST.

In my mind I was like... I just found 3 in the last day within a 5km radius.

Never ever trust the zoning or possibilities of a site based on what a REA says/writes.

I've seen some shockers and it is always in your best interest to check and confirm yourself through official sources.

Sometimes they get it wrong in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. They are only human (along with a few idiots)

Never ever trust the zoning or possibilities of a site based on what a REA says/writes.

I've seen some shockers and it is always in your best interest to check and confirm yourself through official sources.

Sometimes they get it wrong in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. They are only human (along with a few idiots)

Yep how do you know if an agent is lying? Their mouth is moving...

Sometimes they get it wrong? It's blatantly false advertising. If maccas said the Big Mac has no fat in it and then it was proven yes it has fat they would get the book thrown at them.

If I didn't do my job I would be sacked. These guys get away with way too much for a job they get well paid for...

Oh here's another: made an offer last week only to be told oh actually the sewer isn't connected . Oh really? fortunately put a 7 day dd clause in so I could have more time .... Pass

No excuses at the moment used car salesman are higher in the trustworthy stakes

Last edited:
If I didn't do my job I would be sacked. These guys get away with way too much for a job they get well paid for...

Do you know how much they get paid?

Might want to check the award they get paid...

For Victoria - $659.70 per week (pre tax) or $34,304.40 pre tax is their base.

The only time they get paid commission is once they exceeded their base which is usually 20% for listing and 20% for selling or on a 500k purchase at 2% + gst they get $2,000 for listing and a further $2,000 for selling (if they are the sales agent). so if they listed and sold 10 houses in a year at 500k and got 2% rate it would be on 40k and the commission is only paid once settled.

Add to this they are getting paid peanuts for the amount of hours involved (not 9-5), more like 7 or 8 start till 10pm finish plus weekend and even public holidays. Not great if you ask me.... but yes they must be getting paid too much...

no but please make sure you know your mobile number, set up voicemail AND make sure you never return calls. If you have to answer your phone, just talk crap but never send a contract or any further information. helpful hint: offfer to add their details to your database and will email them of new listings, but never really do it!

R-Codes and agents certainly don't mix, which is absolutely GREAT!!

It is the best way to find profitable sub division buys.

I will also add that planners in Council Departments can also provide the wrong information and this could cost dearly, should never happen but it does.

I was recently looking at a potential development site 4 units, this was in Melbourne. The Planner advised the designer that it was a 4 unit site, the same planner advised me via email that it was a 3 unit site. The right hand, does not know what the left hand is doing.
The RE agent advised that it was a 3 unit site so he actually got it right.

Still it pays to phone more than one person in Council as well on a different day:rolleyes:

Back