Rams 1% below standard variable for 2 years

Hmmm things are getting quite interesting!

Rams standard variable at the moment is 6.49% according to Cannex so a 1% discount means a variable rate of 5.49%, however if the rates go to or below 3% next year could some people be paying 2% or less?

RBA rate is currently 4.25% , so to get to 3 % we would get RAMS standard Variable (if the full drop passed on) of 5.24 %, so 1% under standard variable would be 4.24 %.

Considering banks are currently offering 4.99% for 3 years the deal doesn't seem that great as is comparable to current 2 year rates at Bank West, NAb and Westpac

Yes but most people believe there are more falls to come otherwise everyone would be grabbing the 4,99% rate now whereas most people including myself are waiting for a 5 year or more fixed at a better rate than the 4.99%.

Generally variables are below fixed so if variable drops just below to say 4.5% this would mean the Rams variable would be discounted to 3.5%. Not for me as I have too much risk so I will need to grab a good fixed rate across all of the loans but for someone with less to worry about it may suit their purpose.

the good thing about the rams one (which is why i got it) is that i was able to do 5% deposit + capitalise LMI. down side is its P&I although i am now CF+ on the mortgage payments and i settled in july :)

Lowest Rams variable is the Rate Relief, currently 5.69%. Max LVR 100% (or 97% plus LMI). Rams will continue to pass on rate cuts being owned by Westpac, so anyone with them should see their rates drop when/if the RBA cuts again...

Belu, you could have gone I/O on that product if you had wanted to...

Lowest Rams variable is the Rate Relief, currently 5.69%. Max LVR 100% (or 97% plus LMI). Rams will continue to pass on rate cuts being owned by Westpac, so anyone with them should see their rates drop when/if the RBA cuts again...

Belu, you could have gone I/O on that product if you had wanted to...

Raymond, who is the mortgage insurer for the Rams product?

I am looking at this and wondering what the catch is.

No real catch.

Just need to be aware that -

*RAMS isn't a transactional bank they don't offer an offset facility of any kind.
* Minimum redraw of $1k
*The rate currently reverts to 6.29% after the 2 year period
* you must stay on the reverting rate for 2 years or face a DEF of 1% of original loan amount.
* the reverting rate is above that of most lenders pro pack. This being the case there will be additional costs to refinance elsewhere shoould you wish to do so.

Regards
Steve

I have been told that after the 2 years "honeymoon" that the break costs would not be 1%, it will be the usual admin fee.
I'm just thinking $0 application and $0 ongoing account keeping fees is looking pretty good.

I have been told that after the 2 years "honeymoon" that the break costs would not be 1%, it will be the usual admin fee.
I'm just thinking $0 application and $0 ongoing account keeping fees is looking pretty good.

I was only speaking to my BDM just yesterday and he confirmed the 1% penalty. The 1% is based on the original loan amount so there goes the idea of paying it down to a minimal amount before refinacing elsewhere.

Regards
Steve

I was only speaking to my BDM just yesterday and he confirmed the 1% penalty. The 1% is based on the original loan amount so there goes the idea of paying it down to a minimal amount before refinacing elsewhere.

Regards
Steve

Yeap i know about the 1%, but this condition stays even after the 'honeymoon' period?

1% of the initial loan amount is payable if the loan is paid out within 4 years of settlement. After 4 years you can either switch to one of RAMS other products (such as the basic or Smartway pro pack) just for a switch fee. Alternatively you can refinance to another lender after 4 years without incurring the penalty.

Although the rate is higher in years 3 & 4 if you look at the total cost over the first 4 years this loan and compare it with other variable rate products out there this is a very competitive product.

1% of the initial loan amount is payable if the loan is paid out within 4 years of settlement. After 4 years you can either switch to one of RAMS other products (such as the basic or Smartway pro pack) just for a switch fee. Alternatively you can refinance to another lender after 4 years without incurring the penalty.

Although the rate is higher in years 3 & 4 if you look at the total cost over the first 4 years this loan and compare it with other variable rate products out there this is a very competitive product.

As long as you don't require an off-set account:)

Back