Real Estate Agents.

Wasn't she cleared on appeal and the conviction overturned, releasing her from jail? In which case it would be a bit harsh to preclude an innocent person (in the eyes of the law) from holding these sort of licenses. Given that she's been found innocent, the time behind bars should no longer be of consequence.

Kevin Hockey said:
My question is how did she get a licence considering she has been in jail
According to Wikpedia, she was initially convicted, but the conviction was subsequently quashed and set aside- effectively saying that she was wrongly convicted in the first place.

Considering you give an agent the key to your home and free access 24/7 I think the requirements to receive an agents licence should be extremely tough. This forum has constant complaints of agent behaviour, most are justified, and therefore i believe this to be one option to clean up my industry.

This is absolutely no reflection on Pauline Hanson, I think she will make an excellent agent and I wish her good luck, but I wouldn't want any ex "prisoner" with full access to my home. The real estate industry should set high standards and maintain those standards regardless of circumstances. Too much is at stake.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Kevin

By law, she is not an "ex prisoner". She is a person who was wrongfully convicted.

Regardless of any personal opinion, there is a process here where a person who has been convicted of a crime can have that conviction reviewed. And if the review sees that the conviction is wrong, it can be overturned. If it is overturned, the record shows offically that the crime was never committed by that person.

So regardless of the fact she has been in jail, she has not been convicted on any crime- and should not have any record recorded against her. IMHO, that's the way the system should work.

Sure Geoff, I'm not arguing legality nor her right to her innocence. As I said it's not about Pauline. OJ Simpson was found innocent but would you want him with the keys to your property. My main point is I would like to see the handing out of licences for Real Estate strengthened. In NZ you have to have 5 years experience before you get a full agents licence and here almost anyone can have one. You certainly don't even need one days experience.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

I think a full agents licence is different to a sales licence. Not knowing the laws in Qld but I think in the ACT you must have a number of years experience under a licenced agent before you can apply for your own licence. Surely in that time you will prove whether you are a trustworth individual or not.

But speaking of Qld RE laws, wasn't Peter Andre an agent on the Gold Coast before British TV tracked him down for that "Im a celebrity, get me out of here" show. And before he hooked up with 'famous for being famous' Jordan. Now he must have broken a few laws in there somewhere (if not legislative then surely fashion and/or good taste laws).
:) :)

LOL Steve, hard to argue on the Peter Andre front there. I assume ACT laws are the same as NSW and if so NSW did have a requirement for 2yrs experience within the industry, however abolished that requirement in recent times.

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Back