Real Estate pay structures

Does anyone on here work for Dougmal/Harcourts or have any knowledge of the way they pay their Sales consultants? Do they pay a base plus commission, commission only etc, I know that this varies from one agency to another.

I have a couple of interviews coming up next week as I am almost out of houses now on the estate I have been selling so have been seeing what jobs are around at the moment.

I have a couple of interviews coming up next week as I am almost out of houses now on the estate I have been selling so have been seeing what jobs are around at the moment.

The price you pay for being successful - worked yourself out of a job :eek:

Hi sparks, Can't help you with the comm Q - although I think you'll find all these things are negotaiable. If you're a gun salesperson and need a base you'll probably get it.

Thanks Prop hopefully prospective employers will be negotiable, I want to put a base in position as we can't afford to end up back where we were last year.

A few of my clients have put together some very nice testimonials so hopefully that will go hand in hand with the number of properties that I have sold since I started in September and outweigh the fact that I only entered the business professionally in September so I can't boast being in this career for eons which I know can also be a factor.

I'd be surprised if anyone is recruiting unless it's commission only.
It's good you got a few interviews.
Forgot to mention, afaik they are all employees paid a wage + commissions.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if anyone is recruiting unless it's commission only.
It's good you got a few interviews.
Forgot to mention, afaik they are all employees paid a wage + commissions.

Ha Ha thats right - I forgot no-one is buying real estate any more!

Quite a few jobs have been popping up in this field lately in my area, both project builders and regular agency jobs, the trick will be to find something with an employer that can keep things going through bad times aswell as good. At least now I have good experience in 3 different careers if I need to consider other things though I really hope to stay with what I love and am passionate about.

Ha Ha thats right - I forgot no-one is buying real estate any more!

...an employer that can keep things going through bad times aswell as good.

I would've thought that an agency would actually depend on it's agents going out and getting listings "to keep things going" and not the other way round.
I've used their services on a few occasions and over the years got to know them rather well. I like the regimented approach they seem to have, and the PM office has always been good for me.
They are much better for selling than buying imo thou as some of them are well trained negotiators.

I would've thought that an agency would actually depend on it's agents going out and getting listings "to keep things going" and not the other way round.
I've used their services on a few occasions and over the years got to know them rather well. I like the regimented approach they seem to have, and the PM office has always been good for me.
They are much better for selling than buying imo thou as some of them are well trained negotiators.

This is true but making the sales needs to happen too to keep things going and I know that when things were tough last year and not many people were buying a lot of salespeople on commission only couldn't survive and had to jump ship. I think that when the good times are happening ideally both the agency and the sales staff need to prepare for when sales are harder to make, its a shame for an agency to put off good staff who will be much needed when times are good again.

Anyway the news is good as today I was offered the position on the spot which came as a very pleasant surprise, much better than promising to let you know at the end of the week and never hearing anything from them!

There is a base pay and flexibility as to when I can start so I can be sure of selling the last 4 homes on my estate before I take up the position. They are prepared to 'wait for the right person' which apparently is me so good to know. Also the licensee in charge and her partner are very nice people and I felt very comfortable with them, much nicer than a lot of the people in real estate that I have come across over the years (excluding my good buddies on here of course)

The only complication could be that I think I am also about to be offered a position with a project home builder which I would also love but this one has no base pay and although it is a big national builder they are less well known in this area. I can't afford to go 2 or 3 months with no base whilst I get established so if that offer also comes through I don't think I could accept it anyway.

Its lovely to have choices though with all the bad news on the job front!

Congrats
This is true but making the sales needs to happen too to keep things going
Nothing sells if you have nothing to sell.

Also the licensee in charge and her partner are very nice people and I felt very comfortable with them, much nicer than a lot of the people in real estate that I have come across over the years (excluding my good buddies on here of course)
Most of them are nice people and very well trained.
I'm sure they will put you through a rigorous training program that most REA would deem too much and quit.
But almost everytime i deal with their people, most other REAs seem very rough in comparison.
I've ended up a few times talking to the principles about policies, procedures staff training issues over coffee, they're almost as fanatical as me about them.

Congrats

Nothing sells if you have nothing to sell.

True but in tough times such as we had last year there were plenty of listings abounding so that side of it wouldn't have been as hard as trying to sell properties for vendors who weren't keeping pace with the falling values in some areas. I know I was one of them!

Back